|Page (1) of 1 - 05/10/12||email article||print page|
Winner Named in Annual Scotch Packaging Tape Sculpture ContestJake Longenecker From Manheim, Pa. Wins $5,000 in Scotch Off the Roll Contest From 3M (May 10, 2012)
ST. PAUL, MN -- (Marketwire) -- 05/10/12 -- Scotch Brand awarded Jake Longenecker from Manheim, Pa. a $5,000 cash prize in The Scotch Off the Roll Tape Sculpture Contest, sponsored by 3M. Jake took his creativity off the roll by designing and creating "Free Fallin"-- a tape sculpture depicting a skydiver, inspired by WWII era paratroopers -- using 15.5 rolls of Scotch Packaging Tape. Jake's sculpture 'stuck out' to the judges, beating out more than one hundred other tape sculpture entries for the Grand Prize.
About the contest:
- Artists constructed tape sculptures using Scotch Packaging Tape, and submitted photos, unique sculpture names and brief descriptions to www.OfftheRollContest.com.
- Three independent judges narrowed the entries down to five finalists based on creativity, execution and presentation.
- The five finalists were put up for the public to vote to determine the top two finalists, and the Grand Prize winner was selected by the judges.
- The finalists received nearly 30,000 combined votes from April 19 - May 2, 2012.
About Grand Prize Winner and First Runner-Up:
The Grand Prize winner received a $5,000 cash prize, and the First Runner-Up received a $1,000 cash prize:
- Grand Prize Winner: Jake Longenecker from Manheim, Pa. created Free Fallin' using 15.5 rolls of Scotch Packaging Tape
- First Runner-Up: Abigail Colety from Austin, Texas created Game Night using 9 rolls of Scotch Packaging Tape
About the other finalists:
Three Second Runners-Up each received a $500 cash prize:
- Finalist 1: Gavin Mann from Puyallup, Wash. created The Creation of Adam using 24 rolls of Scotch Packaging Tape
- Finalist 2: Lila Ferber from Omaha, Neb. created One Octopus Band using 55 rolls of Scotch Packaging Tape
- Finalist 3: Michelle Noe from Louisville, Ky. created Tight Rope Tape Walker using 12 rolls of Scotch Packaging Tape
About the judging panel:
Submissions were judged by a panel of noted artists:
- Mark Jenkins: American artist most widely known for the street installations he creates using Scotch Packaging Tape; maintains the website www.TapeSculpture.org and teaches the tape casting process in workshops around the world; launched his new book, "The Urban Theater" in March.
- Joe Davidson: Nationally recognized sculptor who works with disparate materials, including Scotch Tape, to create large-scale installations; exhibits art throughout North America.
- Jesse Nolan: Toy sculptor and art teacher at The Paxon School for Advanced Studies in Jacksonville, Florida; incorporates the use of Scotch Packaging Tape as an art medium in workshops and classes.
Visit www.OffTheRollContest.com for photos and descriptions of all the tape sculpture entries.
3M captures the spark of new ideas and transforms them into thousands of ingenious products. Our culture of creative collaboration inspires a never-ending stream of powerful technologies that make life better. 3M is the innovation company that never stops inventing. With $30 billion in sales, 3M employs 84,000 people worldwide and has operations in more than 65 countries. For more information, visit www.3M.com or follow @3MNews on Twitter.
3M and Scotch are trademarks of 3M. © 3M 2012.
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=1978300
Embedded Video Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=1978304
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=1978302
Copyright @ Marketwire
Related Keywords: Scotch Packaging Tape, tape, art, sculpture, contest, Mark Jenkins, time lapse video , Marketwire, ,Other,