|Page (1) of 1 - 06/21/04||email article||print page|
Video Game Leaders To Speak At Game Job ConferenceEvent designed to help pump new blood into growing game industry (June 21, 2004)
The Game Initiative today announced the speakers for its "Maryland/DC/Virginia How To Break Into Video Game Industry: Conference and Resume Workshop" which takes place in Chevy Chase, Maryland on Saturday, June 26, 2004, 8:30am - 3:00pm at the National 4-H Youth Conference Center. The event - http://www.GameConferences.com/maryland/ - is designed for students and professionals looking to get into the computer and video game business. No experience is required to attend. Speakers include veterans and industry insiders from diverse backgrounds, including:
- Bob Bates, co-founder of Legend Entertainment, Game Producer and IGDA Board Member
- Michael Cosner, Senior Artist: Cinematic Design, Red Storm Entertainment
- Matt Firor, Executive Producer, Mythic Entertainment
- David Frederick, President, df|Media Group
- Doug Kaufman, Senior Designer, Big Huge Games
- Robin McShaffry, Recruiter, Mary-Margaret.com
- Chris Oltyan, CEO, Qove Studios
- Roger E Pedersen, Developer and Game Design Book Author "Game Design Foundations"
- Coray Seifert, Developer, Large Animal Games
- Joe Helfrich, VP of Sales and Business Development; The Americas, Exent Technologies
- Chris Weaver, Founder, Bethesda Softworks
Whether its building games for the Xbox, PlayStation 2, PC or mobile game devices, attendees will have the opportunity to speak with industry insiders, including top recruiter Mary-Margaret.com, insiders from local game companies as well as network and meet with industry veterans. The event is sponsored in part by the University of Advancing Technology and supported by the Baltimore County Department of Economic Development and the Maryland Department of Business and Economic Development.
Students will learn how to build an early professional road map to a career in the game industry. Professionals looking to move into the business from other industries will learn how their experience and transferable skills can gain rapid entry into the game industry. The event will also provide a great opportunity for local game companies to meet potential new talent. Also, attendees will be able to participate in the Demo Reel Showcase, where can bring their laptops to showcase their demo reels to industry insiders for direct feedback and job opportunities.
How To Break Into Video Game Industry - MD/ DC / VA - June 26, 2004 - Agenda
8:30am - 9:00am Registration and Networking
9:00am - 9:45am Industry Overview
10:00am - 10:45am Getting in at the Ground Floor
11:00am - 12:00pm Applying Transferable Skill Sets
12:00pm - 1:30pm Networking
1:30pm - 3:00pm Resume Workshop
The cost is $45 in advance or $60 at the door. The event takes place at the National 4-H Youth Conference Center in Chevy Chase, Maryland. Registration is available online at http://www.GameConferences.com/maryland/
How To Break Into Video Game Industry attendees will:
- Find out what employers are looking for now and in the future
- Learn how the game development pipeline works
- Receive an overview of the industry and where it's headed
- Understand the core competencies required in art, programming and design
- Meet and network with professionals in the industry
- Participate in a resume workshop designed to gain them critical interviews with hiring managers.
About The Game Initiative
The Game Initiative is chartered with the growth of the computer and video game industry by serving the needs of companies and individuals involved in producing interactive entertainment software and hardware for video game consoles, handheld devices, personal computers and the Internet. The Game Initiative assists in growing the game industry through events, public awareness, information and supporting programs. Game Initiative events include the Austin Game Conference, the Women's Game Conference and the How to Break into the Game Industry national conference series. More information about the Game Initiative can be found at http://www.TheGameInitiative.com or http://www.GameConferences.com.
Related Keywords:The Game Initiative, How To Break Into Video Game Industry, video game, Bob Bates, IGDA, Michael Cosner, Legend Entertainment, Red Storm Entertainment, Matt Firor, Mythic Entertainment, David Frederick, df|Media Group, Doug Kaufman, Big Huge Games, Robin McShaffry, Mary-Margaret.com, Chris Oltyan, Qove Studios, Roger E Pedersen, Coray Seifert, Large Animal Games, Joe Helfrich, Exent Technologies, Chris Weaver, Bethesda Softworks, University of Advancing Technology, Baltimore County Department of Economic Development, Maryland Department of Business and Economic Development,