|Page (1) of 2 - 07/02/04||email article||print page|
Using Sonicfire Pro with Avid Editing Systems
This tutorial discusses how to use SonicFire Pro with Avid editing systems. Avid clips and locators placed in the meta tracks of an Avid project are exported to an AAF file, one that in turn is converted to an XML file by means of Avid's MetaSync Publisher - which provides a source of information that SmartSound Software's Sonicfire Pro 3.2 can easily import. Sonicfire Pro 3.2 creates placeholders from this information, making it easy to choose selections of music or other sound effects that are automatically placed at the same time point in the sequence, timed to the length of the duration specified in the placeholders. After filling all the placeholder, a brief export of the sound blocks into separate files aids in quick and efficient placing of these blocks back into the original Avid project soundtracks.
Avid Editing Systems supporting MetaSync as of April 2004 include:
- Avid Media Composer v.11 and later
- Avid Symphony v.4 and later
- Avid Xpress Pro v.4 and later
- Avid Media Composer Adrenaline v.1 and later
Avid Technology is continuing to develop MetaSync capabilities in these products. New revisions of the software may change the workflow described in this document. An update to this document will be available if the procedure changes.
File Types and Typical Locations
?SmartSound Avid Clip.aeo is installed by the Sonicfire installation application. AEO stands for Avid
Enhanced Objects. This file contains the SmartSound placeholder clip that can be added to your Avid timeline and then recognized by Sonicfire Pro.
Mac Applications/Sonicfire Pro 3/
Win Program Files/SmartSound Software/Sonicfire Pro/
?AAF file format with the extension .aaf (Advanced Authoring Format) is a sequence export format generated
by Avid as per the AAF Association (www.aafassociation.org).
?Metasync Publisher application is a component that ships with the Avid systems listed above. On Media
Composer and Symphony systems, the MetaSync Manager and Publisher applications are on a separate CD
Installer labeled ?MetaSync. MetaSync Publisher is required to convert AAF files into an XML file format that is
readable by Sonicfire. MetaSync Publisher is typically installed in the following location.
Win - Program Files/Avid/MetaSyncPublisher/
Setting your Sonicfire Pro scoring markers within Avid software
1. Within Avid, import the SmartSound Meta Enhancement by clicking FILE>IMPORT. From the ?Enable: popup
menu, choose MetaSync Documents, browse to the folder and choose the file named ?SmartSound Avid
clip.aeoand click OPEN. This file can also be dragged and dropped directly into a bin.
2. Add a Meta Track if one does not exist by using the menu item. Clip>New Meta Track. A new MetaTrack can
also be added directly in the timeline as well by dragging the SmartSound-Avid clip to a blank sequence.
MetaTracks can only be added to sequences.
3. When inserting the SmartSound Meta Enhancement, only select the Meta track and any other track you want
effected by the addition.
4. Place your Mark In (E key shortcut) and Mark Out (R key shortcut) points on the timeline.
5. Double click the SmartSound Placeholder located in the Bin window. This opens the placeholder in a source monitor. (See Figure 1)
Related Keywords:Sonicfire Pro , Avid Editing systems