|Page (1) of 1 - 11/09/11||email article||print page|
Update: Oracle Releases Oracle Solaris 11, the First Cloud OS(November 09, 2011)
REDWOOD SHORES, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 11/09/11 -- Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL)
- Oracle today announced availability of Oracle Solaris 11, the first Cloud OS.
- Oracle Solaris 11 is designed to meet the security, performance and scalability requirements of cloud-based deployments allowing customers to run their most demanding enterprise applications in private, hybrid, or public clouds.
- As the first fully virtualized operating system (OS), Oracle Solaris 11 provides comprehensive, built-in virtualization capabilities for OS, network and storage resources:
- In addition to its built-in virtualization capabilities, Oracle Solaris 11 is engineered for Oracle VM sever virtualization on both x86 and SPARC based systems, providing deployment flexibility and secure live migration.
- Oracle Solaris Zones virtualization scales up to hundreds of zones per physical node at a 15x lower overhead than VMware and without artificial limits on memory, network, CPU and storage resources.
- New, integrated network virtualization allows customers to create high-performance, low-cost data center topologies within a single OS instance for ultimate flexibility, bandwidth control and observability.
- Oracle Solaris 11 offers comprehensive management across the entire infrastructure -- operating system, physical hardware, networking and storage, as well as the virtualization layer.
- New connected cloud management ensures that customers always have the latest Solaris updates from Oracle and proactive services help customers achieve maximum uptime.
- Oracle Enterprise Manager Ops Center, now included in systems support, provides converged systems management, enabling enterprise wide, centralized control over hardware, OS and virtualization resources.
- Oracle Solaris ZFS provides the data and storage management foundation for Oracle Solaris 11, delivering ultimate data integrity, flash-enabled tiered storage pools, line speed encryption and the scalability to store and manage unlimited amounts of data.
- With Oracle Solaris ZFS deduplication customers can reduce their storage requirements in virtualized environments by 10x.
- Oracle Solaris 11 delivers "secure by default" features, including start up, role-based root access and low impact auditing for both cloud and traditional datacenter deployments.
- The built-in encryption acceleration in Oracle Solaris 11 provides a 4x performance boost compared to IBM AIX encryption.
- Oracle Solaris and Oracle software applications are designed together, tested together, can be deployed together and supported together to provide faster fail-over, improved reliability and up to 10x better application performance.
- Oracle Solaris development teams have worked on co-engineering efforts to increase Oracle Database 11g, Oracle Fusion Middleware 11g and Java-based application performance, availability, security and manageability on Oracle Solaris.
- New Oracle Solaris11 enhancements include optimized shared memory management, I/O improvements, integrated resource management and crypto off-load.
- Oracle Solaris 11 is the ideal platform to run business-critical enterprise applications in virtualized massive horizontal scale as well as vertically integrated environments on a wide range of SPARC and x86 servers. Customers can:
- Run any of the more than 11,000 applications supported today on Oracle Solaris 11, with guaranteed binary compatibility through the Oracle Solaris Binary Application Guarantee Program.
- Customers can preserve their existing investments by using P2V and V2V tools to move their existing Oracle Solaris 10 environments to an Oracle Solaris 10 Zone, while gaining access to the latest Oracle Solaris 11 enhancements.
- Oracle Solaris delivers performance that matters to customers:
- Today, Oracle Solaris 11 delivered a new world record result on SPECjvm2008, a general-purpose, multi-threaded Java benchmark. In combination with Oracle's SPARC T4-2 server and the Oracle HotSpot Java Virtual Machine, Oracle Solaris 11 delivers up to 41 percent improvement over the previous result using Oracle Solaris 10(1)
- Oracle Solaris has already achieved world record benchmarks that span a wide range of enterprise applications, including 10 world records posted most recently on Oracle's SPARC T4 servers.
- The latest release of Oracle Solaris is engineered to provide cloud-scale life cycle management with secure, fail-safe boot environments, safe roll-backs, 4x faster upgrades and 2.5x faster system re-boots, and is leveraging the power of Oracle Solaris ZFS.
- Oracle Solaris 11 is already in production at over 700 top companies around the world and deployed on thousands of Oracle's Sun ZFS Storage Appliances, as well as the Oracle Exadata Database Machine X2-2 and X2-8 and the Oracle Exalogic Elastic Cloud engineered systems.
- Oracle Solaris 11, Oracle Enterprise Manager Ops Center and Oracle VM software are included as part of systems support with all of Oracle's Sun servers, providing customers with built-in cloud capabilities.
- Oracle Solaris 11 is certified on SPARC and X86-based platforms as conforming to the UNIX 03 product standard, effective November 8, 2011, per The Open Group. Details at: http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/register/
- Partners in Oracle Partner Network (OPN) will find new Oracle Solaris 11 tools and resources in the Oracle Solaris Knowledge Zone including the Oracle Solaris Remote Lab and the Oracle Solaris Development Initiative. Quotes from OPN Partners appear in the Oracle Solaris 11 Quote Sheet below.
- New Oracle Solaris 11 Training is available to help customers and partners take advantage of the best-in-class features of Oracle Solaris 11 and upgrade from Oracle Solaris 10 or earlier versions.
- "Oracle Solaris 11 is the most significant operating system release of the past decade. With built-in server, storage and now, network virtualization, Oracle Solaris 11 delivers the industry's first cloud OS. Customers can simplify their enterprise deployments, drive up utilization of their data center assets, and run Oracle and other enterprise applications faster all within a secure, scalable cloud or traditional enterprise environment," said John Fowler, executive vice president, Systems, Oracle.
- "With Oracle Solaris, we have a unique opportunity to support the industry's largest and leading business software portfolio on the industry's best UNIX for both SPARC and x86 servers," said Thomas Kurian, executive vice president of Oracle Product Development. "Working together, our development teams engineer, test and support advanced solutions to our customers' toughest problems. We are pleased to announce that our key software products -- Oracle Database 11g, Oracle Fusion Middleware, Oracle Enterprise Manager, and Oracle Applications -- are available and optimized for Oracle Solaris 11 on SPARC and x86 systems."
- Oracle Solaris
- Oracle Solaris on OTN
- Oracle Solaris 11 Training
- Oracle's Sun Server and Storage Systems
- Oracle Solaris Blog
- Connect with Oracle Solaris via Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn
(1)SPEC and SPECjvm are registered trademarks of the Standard Performance Evaluation Corporation. Results from www.spec.org and this report as of 11/9/2011. SPARC T4-2 454.25 SPECjvm2008 Peak ops/m submitted for review, SPARC T3-2 320.52 SPECjvm2008 Peak ops/m, Sun Blade X6270 317.13 SPECjvm2008 Base ops/m.
Oracle engineers hardware and software to work together in the cloud and in your data center. For more information about Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL), visit www.oracle.com.
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle Corporation and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Oracle Solaris 11 Quote Sheet
"Adax Inc., an industry leader in high-performance signaling and packet-processing infrastructure, has a long standing history with Oracle Solaris as a foundation in the all-IP network. Oracle Solaris 11 marks another major advance in operating system innovation. Oracle Solaris implementations of security and virtualization features, which link mobile and other devices to cloud-based resources, will help improve overall speed and security of the IP network," said Drew Sproul, Director of Marketing, Adax Inc.
"BMC Software's Control-M, an industry leading workload automation solution, has successfully utilized Oracle Solaris for more than 10 years," said Erez Gordon, Product Development Manager, Control-M Workload Automation, BMC Software. "Control-M supports many of the critical applications that run on Oracle Solaris and across the enterprise. The solution offers true cross-enterprise capabilities and supports a vast array of platforms, including the Oracle Solaris operating system, starting with Solaris 2.5 and currently with Oracle Solaris 11. Our customers value the breadth and depth of knowledge Control-M provides and that is why we are proud to be working with Oracle to support Oracle Solaris 11, which will further enrich our customers' workload automation processing capabilities."
"As one of the leading suppliers in wireless access software in China, Capitek has a long term relationship with Oracle. Our products are based on Oracle Database, Oracle Solaris and Oracle's Sun servers. Oracle Solaris is proven to be a mission critical OS for its high performance, extreme stability and binary compatibility guarantee. We are really excited to see both Capitek AAA (Authentication, Authorization, Accounting) and AN-AAA (Access Network Authentication, Authorization, Accounting) show good performance on Oracle Solaris 11 on SPARC T4 servers," said Mr. Liyan Tan, Vice President of Beijing Capitek Co., Ltd.
"Working with technology partners like Oracle allows CA Technologies to support the heterogeneous IT systems and IT management initiatives of our global customer base," said Karen Sage, Vice President Marketing, Alliance, CA Technologies. "We look forward to working with Oracle to support the adoption of Oracle Solaris 11 and its advanced virtualization and security features for our customers."
"Emulex continues to work with Oracle to provide our customers with the capabilities they need to scale their cloud and virtual environments," said Shaun Walsh, Vice President of Marketing, Emulex. "With Oracle Solaris 11, our joint support for N_Port ID Virtualization (NPIV) and virtual NICs provides customers a seamless way to allocate and manage resources according to the workloads and profiles of multiple virtualized environments. Additionally, Emulex adapters support the enhanced Oracle Solaris network stack with full Fibre Channel and Fibre Channel over Ethernet capabilities."
"We look forward to leveraging the simplified cloud deployment capabilities of Oracle Solaris 11 with MSC SimManager 2012," said Leo Kilfoy, SimManager Director of Product Development, MSC Corporation. "We plan to take advantage of the new Oracle Solaris Remote Lab (OSRL) to test and validate our product suite on Oracle Solaris 11. A key capability of OSRL is its pre-installed and pre-configured virtual images, which include both the latest Oracle Solaris release and the Oracle Database 11g Release 2 -- enabling us to quickly create a customized Oracle Solaris test and validation environment in a matter of minutes."
"We at Murex have enjoyed working with Oracle Solaris to successfully address our financial services customers with market leading solutions. MX G2000 and MX.3 have been fully supported on Oracle Solaris for more than ten years and we plan on certifying both on Oracle Solaris 11 in order to continue delivering value to our customers," said Arnaud De Chavagnac, Business Development EMEA, Murex.
"Neusoft is excited to see the increasing investment for Oracle Solaris and the release of Oracle Solaris 11," said Hongyong Yu, Director of Solution Readiness Center, Neusoft. "Oracle Solaris 11 provides Neusoft HIS with an environment of high performance, high stability, high availability and high reliability. We are looking forward to certifying more Neusoft industrial solutions on Oracle Solaris 11."
"Neusoft Digital Campus is one of the leading solutions for colleges and universities in China, with a wide range of products including a digital campus platform, integrated student application systems, BI business application systems, HR systems and digital media broadcasting systems. The latest features in Oracle Solaris 11 provide the best performance, security and virtualization capabilities for colleges and university environments. Neusoft Education department plans to deploy next versions of Digital Campus on Oracle Solaris 11, Oracle Fusion Middleware and Oracle Database," said Jinghui Ma, Education Solution Director of Digital Media & Education Division.
"OpenText has a rich history of delivering ECM solutions on Oracle Solaris," said Rich Buchheim, VP, Oracle Solutions at OpenText. "We are pleased to see the deep investment Oracle is making in Oracle Solaris and look forward to benefitting from the advanced security, increased performance, and enhanced data management capabilities that will be available in Oracle Solaris 11."
"As a Platinum level member in Oracle Partner Network and 2011 APAC ISV of the Year, Polaris is very excited to see the release of Oracle Solaris 11. Intellect, the Polaris Banking Solution Suite, has a large footprint on the Oracle Solaris platform across all geographies and Oracle Solaris 11 will help Polaris provide robust and high performing solutions to our customers. We look forward to adopting Oracle Solaris 11 for our Intellect Suite," said Shashi Mohan, CTO, Polaris.
"QLogic has been an Oracle partner for more than 17 years and has pioneered Fibre Channel technology available through Oracle Solaris for server and storage appliances," said Satish Lakshmanan, Senior Director of Product Marketing, Host Solutions Group, QLogic. "Oracle Solaris 11 provides unprecedented levels of stability, reliability and availability that take on the demands of today's virtualized environments and business-critical applications. QLogic's Fibre Channel and converged network adapters in Oracle Solaris 11 environments unleash the real power of Adaptive Convergence to provide superior application performance, low total cost-of-ownership and advanced security services in virtualized and cloud computing markets."
"Oracle Solaris 11 delivers SPARC T4 performance at its best," said Paul Kent, SAS Vice President of Platform Research and Development. "Whether it is risk analysis, fraud detection or complex optimization mathematics, implementing SAS® Business Analytics on Oracle Solaris 11 and SPARC T4 systems solves critical business issues in transformational ways. Oracle Solaris has been a long time proven platform for SAS applications with its features, stability and uncompromising guaranteed application compatibility program."
"Solarflare is an industry leader with its SFN5000 family of 10Gb Ethernet adapters. By leveraging the advanced networking and scalable data management capabilities of Oracle Solaris 11, the SFN5000 adapters provide superior application performance for scale-out computing environments such as securities trading, Hadoop-based analytics and big data, and cloud computing markets," said Bruce Tolley, Vice President, Solutions Marketing, Solarflare.
"Providing a bare-metal recovery solution requires our engineers to fully understand the workings of the operating system. Storix has observed that the latest enhancements in Oracle Solaris 11 provide the best performance, security and virtualization capabilities for enterprise computing environments," said David Huffman, President, Storix, Inc. "The introduction of the Image Packaging System (IPS) has been a great improvement over the previous package management. The more granular package layout and improved tool set has been a great advantage to our System Backup Administrator product when creating boot media for bare-metal recovery."
"Symantec is excited to support Oracle Solaris 11 and help IT administrators get the most out of their storage investments and ensure the availability of their critical applications and databases," said Don Angspatt, Vice President of Product Management, Storage and Availability Management Group, Symantec. "Our joint customers continue to rely on Symantec's market leading storage and availability management solutions and the Oracle Solaris platform to transform their IT operations and ensure availability of their business critical environments."
"This exciting launch of Oracle Solaris 11 promises to showcase one of the best performing operating systems available," said Simon Henman, Technical Approval Product Manager, Temenos. "Temenos, one of the leading suppliers of banking software, is able to leverage the Oracle Solaris 11 guaranteed application compatibility to build and test in virtualized and non-virtualized environments with complete confidence in the compatibility of applications from one release of Oracle Solaris to the next. With Oracle Solaris ZFS as the default file system on Oracle Solaris 11, running on Oracle's SPARC systems, great storage flexibility and performance gains can be made."
"Thomson Reuters' Kondor + is a leading trade and risk management application globally and has been fully supported on Oracle Solaris since its first release. We plan on certifying our next release on SPARC and x86 systems running Oracle Solaris 11 to continue delivering best in class products to our customers," said Boris Lipiainen, Global Head of Product & Development, Thomson Reuters Risk Management. "We continue to leverage Oracle Solaris innovations such as Oracle Solaris Zones and ZFS, which are significantly improving the productivity of our product development organization and accelerating our software delivery process."
"The Traffix Signaling Delivery Controller (SDC) is well tuned to Oracle Solaris 11 and Oracle Solaris Cluster in its ability to offer next generation signaling and Diameter control plane connectivity, load balancing and routing solutions that can closely track operator requirements for scalability and high-availability, both now and in the future. Running on Oracle's SPARC T4 systems, the SDC provides the ideal solution for high capacity and small footprint deployments that demand high throughput and low latency as they grow," said Lenny Ridel, CTO, Traffix.
"As a long term partner of Oracle, UFIDA Software Co. Ltd. is one of the leading providers of management software solutions and services in China. UFIDA's ERP solution, NC, has been fully supported on earlier releases of Oracle Solaris. Oracle's increased investment in Oracle Solaris 11 and its guaranteed application compatibility make us confident to keep on investing in the Oracle Solaris platform. We are seeking to leverage more new features such as the advanced network QoS and virtualization of Oracle Solaris 11 to make NC more competitive in the market," said Dahan Lin, CTO of UFIDA.
Video-Link Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=1795799
Copyright @ Marketwire
Related Keywords: products, services, products and services, oracle, Applications,Sales & Marketing,Education,Storage,Productivity Applications,Security,Networking,Database,Computer Technology,Business Issues,Hardware,Software Development,Cloud Computing,Services,Software,Misc,Database,Backup,Security,Desktop Operating Systems,Other Applications,Unix,Other,Authentication,Authentication,Connectivity,Server Hardware,Wireless,Ethernet,Server Computers,Load Balancing Hardware,Data Management,Other,Mobile Devices,IT Management,Tools,Platforms,Java,infrastructure,Management,Human Resources,CTO/CIO,Human Resources,Unix,Unix,China,Marketwire, Inc., ,IT (Information Technology),Business Issues,Enterprise Applications,Networking,Financial,Appliances,Mathematics,Computer Science,Engineering,Business,china,Family,Other,