|Page (1) of 1 - 10/18/11||email article||print page|
UberMedia Launches Chime.in Interest Network: New Social Media Platform for Connecting and Engaging Around InterestsLaunch Partners Include E! Entertainment, Universal Pictures, Walt Disney Studios, Bravo and Redfin, as Well as Strategic Funding Partner Comcast Ventures (October 18, 2011)
PASADENA, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 10/18/11 -- UberMedia, the world's leading independent developer of feature-rich social media applications, today launched Chime.in, a new social media platform organized around interests. Chime.in solves the growing "relevance problem" in social media, with breakthrough functionality that allows users to surface and interact with the best content related to their interests. Additionally, Chime.in will be the first social media platform that allows anyone -- a publisher, brand, or individual -- to share in the revenue generated by their content.
Major partners joining the launch of Chime.in include leading entertainment brands E! Entertainment, Universal Pictures, Walt Disney Studios and Bravo, as well as Redfin, the leading technology-powered real estate brokerage. Comcast Ventures is also joining the launch with a strategic investment in Chime.in parent company UberMedia.
"Social media is the future of all electronic content and transactions," said Bill Gross, CEO of UberMedia. "It will be everywhere, just like oxygen. However, now that a billion people are using social media, it's easy to get lost in a sea of content that's irrelevant to you. Chime.in, by focusing on your interests, and not just people, makes it much more relevant and engaging."
"E! continues its tradition of partnering with top tier companies focused on delivering immersive, interactive experiences. Chime.in allows us to do just that by engaging with pop culture fans who are truly passionate about a given interest -- be it entertainment news, a red carpet event, or one of our hit shows," said John Najarian, EVP and GM, Digital Media and Business Development of E! Entertainment. "As the entertainment leader in social reach and influence, E! is thrilled to partner with Chime.in to engage our audience with a new level of depth and focus."
"We see Chime.in as an exciting new platform within social media. Media companies and brands can now share in the revenue generated by their unique content and engage more deeply with their fans," said David Horowitz, Managing Director of Comcast Ventures. "The various Comcast/NBCUniversal properties that we have shown this platform to, including E! and Bravo, are excited about jumping on board."
"Bravo regards social media as a key factor in our growth strategy," said Lisa Hsia, Executive Vice President of Bravo Digital Media. "With Chime.in, we'll have the opportunity to broaden both reach and engagement in new and enhanced ways."
The heightened relevance and engagement created by Chime.in also presents the opportunity to monetize social media in a way never before possible. Chime.in enables the power of commenting and sharing to be combined with all the tools of online monetization, including advertising, pay-per-click, promotions and sponsorship.
"With Chime.in, we've created a platform where publishers and media companies can integrate their brand partners in ways that allow them to maximize their engagement in social media," said Jon Kraft, COO of UberMedia. "But the opportunity is not limited to the big guys. Even the smallest publisher can earn revenue from his or her work, because Chime.in ensures that great content is surfaced and shared, specifically with those to whom it is most relevant."
The beta version of Chime.in is available today at 11 a.m. PST as a browser-based desktop application, as well as in mobile versions for iPhone, Android and Blackberry. Registration for the beta version is available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Chime.in Product Features:
- Broadcast-able posts called Chimes that are tracked in a Chimeline
- Chimes are rich-media-enabled, and can include images, video, polls and links
- Readers can view and engage with media directly in the Chime, rather than having to open another website or application
- In addition to featuring rich media, Chimes:
- Can be shared across other social platforms, including Facebook, Google+ and Twitter, as well as email
- Can be saved to read later, and also discarded
- Can be sorted by specific interest, most shared, most commented and by time
- Can be analyzed on Chime.in to measure reach, impact and authority (early 2012)
- Feature threaded comments that can also be liked and sorted
- Discovery tools, including:
- Built-in algorithms that bring quality content to the surface to make it easy to find what's most relevant and worthwhile
- Ability to follow specific interests, specific people, or Chimes only on a specific interest from a specific person ("Selective Follow")
- Recommendations regarding people and interests to follow, and communities to join
- Global search to simultaneously search for topics, people and communities
- Content curation from Chime.in editors
- Authority algorithms that make it easy to find people with the most authority on a given topic (early 2012)
- Monetization tools, including:
- Promotional spots on profile and community pages
- Complete control over promotional activity
- Revenue-share on advertising negotiated by Chime.in (early 2012))
- API for programmers to create extensions (early 2012)
UberMedia (www.ubermedia.com) is the world's leading independent developer of feature-rich social media applications that make it easy to publish, consume and engage, no matter who you are. With more than 6 million users of its products in both desktop and mobile environments, UberMedia's portfolio includes market-leading Twitter applications UberSocial and Echofon and the groundbreaking Chime.in interest network. UberMedia is an Idealab company (www.idealab.com) founded in 2010 and headquartered in Pasadena, Calif.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Copyright @ Marketwire
Related Keywords: UberMedia, Bill Gross, mobile, Twitter, Facebook, social media, Disney, E!, Bravo, Comcast, platform, Marketwire, , Apple Computer, Computer Science, Business, Entertainment, Email, Other,