|Page (1) of 1 - 12/14/11||email article||print page|
US Navy Ships Complete Missions with Software Developed in Real Studio(December 14, 2011)
Austin, TX (PRWEB) December 14, 2011
Real Software, creator of cross-platform software development tools, today announced that Azimuth, Inc. developed a touch-screen enabled software suite with Real Studio now being used onboard a third US Navy patrol boat. The software suite, called the Craft Integrated Electronics Suite (CIES®), centralizes mission-critical data from a variety of sources in one place for the first time, giving crew members complete situational awareness of both the ships systems and the area battle space. Azimuth also recently implemented the software on a US Department of Commerce NOAA boat.
To date, more than 50 crew members have successfully operated the suites across multiple boats with ease and completed missions in drug trafficking interdictions, biometric data collection and analysis, and mission event data logging.
The US Navy approached Azimuth, Inc. to create a solution that would integrate all of the electronics systems for their patrol boats, smaller vessels used for shallow-water combat missions that are specifically designed to take advantage of advanced networking technologies.
The various patrol boats operate with a multi-person crew so it was essential for Azimuths Senior Software Engineer, Brian Fellers, and his team to design a suite with a tactical display system that crew members can easily view and control from any station on the craft, while each simultaneously worked to complete their mission at hand. The suite requires a smaller screen size, uncompromised reliability and ease of use, while integrating the ships diverse input devices responsible for navigation, radar, communication, video cameras and other functions. Rough waters, temperature extremes and a salt water environment also posed design challenges, specifically in the user interface area.
With clear marching orders, Brian and his team evaluated the best software development tool for the job. In the past, Azimuth had relied on Microsoft Visual Studio, but Brian needed a cross-platform development tool that offered rapid development capabilities and easy customization for multiple boats. He discovered Real Studio when a coworker was using it to test rapid development capabilities and began using it for software developed for the Navy ever since.
With each new ship we can increase the feature set, but still reuse the existing project as a base. Being able to edit and reuse the code easily has saved us both significant time and money. And with all of the built-in Real Studio widgets, we can spend more time enhancing the user experience and improving our product instead of writing those widgets from scratch.
Real Studio Features
Brian and his team were able to develop customized suites for several of the Navys patrol boats because of the following features found in Real Studios Enterprise Edition:
- Cross Platform Deployment: Real Studio makes it possible to develop software on one platform and deploy on multiple platforms with native-looking results. While the primary operating system on each craft was Microsoft Windows, crew members and other operators could bring on laptops running Mac OS to perform their job functions.
- Code Sharing: Brian and his team were able to reuse code for their Real Studio desktop apps and create Real Studio web applications that nearly mirrored the executable files simply by copying and pasting code between the two versions. The web version was important to allow operators to monitor current operations off craft for mission and educational purposes. In addition, the web version provided access to craft monitoring for those who did not have the desktop executable installed (for security purposes or otherwise).
- Rapid Application Development: Real Studio is a rapid application development environment that gives programmers the power to write, test and ship software four times faster than C++ or Java.
- Automation: With Real Studios Build Automation feature, users can visually drag and drop build steps to execute common actions, like copying files and running IDE scripts, before and/or after an application is built. All of this can be done from within a given project.
- Code Editor: The Real Studio code editor includes an auto-complete feature that helps users write code faster with fewer errors by offering suggestions on valid syntax. Also included are code assistants that are a contextual menu of syntax options that help users code faster and with fewer errors.
About the Craft Integrated Electronics Suite (CIES®)
The Craft Integrated Electronics Suite (CIES®) is a distributed, extensible integrated bridge system for small craft operating in the littoral combat environment. CIES® software is a distributed system that supports full system functionality at any workstation on the craft, thus providing truly integrated access to mission data. The user interface is designed to operate with a variety of input devices and provide ease of use in rough environments. The software is robust and modular to accommodate future integration of additional capabilities. CIES NET, one of the suites newer features, has allowed the US Navy to perform multi-platform data sharing. This allows operators from one craft to see sensor and navigation information from a remote craft.
About Azimuth, Inc.
Azimuth, Incorporated is a Service-Connected Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business (SDVOSB) specializing in engineering, fabrication and engineering services such as system and electronic engineering; imagery analysis and exploitation; software engineering and integrated logistical support. The corporations primary focus is to support the United States Department of Defense (DoD). Brian and his team recently completed a contract for NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association) that expanded CIESs capabilities to interface with scientific sensors (atmospheric, water chemistry, fluorometry, etc.) and data collection, thus allowing CIES to migrate from a military mission to a science and education system.
About Real Studio
Real Studio, is a full-featured cross-platform software development tool suited to creating a wide range of applications, from utilities to enterprise-class applications. Real Studio Personal Edition for Windows, Linux or Mac OS X is priced at $99 and is geared for hobbyists and students. Real Studio Professional Edition, required for cross-platform (Mac OS X, Windows and Linux) compilation, is $299. Real Studio Enterprise Edition, made for full-time developers, is priced at $995, and the ability to develop and deploy on Mac OS X, Windows, Linux, and the web. Real Studio Web Edition is now available and priced at $599. For more information or to download Real Studio today, visit Real Software at http://www.realsoftware.com/download.
About Real Software
Real Software provides Real Studio, a cross-platform desktop, console and web development tool. Real Software was founded in 1996 and is based in Austin, Texas. For more information visit http://www.realsoftware.com or call 866.825.2114.
Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2011/12/prweb9039170.htm.
Related Keywords:computer crime, software, maritime accident, waterway and maritime transport, computing and information technology, satellite technology, wireless technology, science and technology, technology (general), identification technology, agricultural research and technology, international military intervention, military equipment, computing and information technology, satellite technology, wireless technology, public relation, public holiday, civil and public service, public officials, public employees, public finance, science and technology, technology (general), identification technology, agricultural research and technology, computing and information technology, satellite technology,