|Page (1) of 1 - 12/02/03||email article||print page|
Toon Boom Studio 2.5 Coming to the MacFree update to be shown at Macworld conference
Toon Boom Studio for the Macintosh has been stuck at version 1.2.x since May 2002, so the 2.5 update will be a significant one for the Mac platform. It will also be a free one for registered users of Toon Boom Studio 1.2, according to the company. Details about the update are scant at this point, but TBT says the new version will add sound scrubbing in the Timeline, the ability to draw in Sceneplanning and support for scanning.
Version 2.0, which was skipped on the Mac platform, introduced several new features to the animation suite as well, including a more cinematic approach to content creation, with the view of the work constantly through the camera lens. It features an exposure sheet, a timeline, a rotating light table, peg and drawing and painting tools, as well as a virtual 3D environment. It also offered new lip synch features that allowed the user to correlate mouth shapes with phonemes and apply the shapes automatically to the right frames without additional software. Other 2.0 features included:
- Color transform and clipping effects.
- Different appearances for first and last keyframe on a motion path.
- Copy and paste motion point properties.
- Import, organize and synchronize all drawing, image, bitmap, sound and multimedia files in the Exposure Sheet.
- Track the timing of each object and maximize reuse of recurring images.
- Create a storyboard with the Exposure Sheet and convert it into animatic.
- Draw with a Polyline tool to create closed, vector shapes of any dimension.
- Paint vector shapes with bitmap textures.
- Auto-gap closing for speed painting.
- Optimize vector shapes for output to the Web.
- Improved stroke identifying.
- Sound scrubbing.
- Support for sound streaming.
- Export media links as Macromedia Flash movie clips.
- QuickTime export includes all sound modification.
- Improved optimization options for SWF output.
How many of these 2.0 features will make it into the Mac OS X release of version 2.5 is not yet know. The software will be shown for the first time at the Macworld convention in San Francisco starting Jan. 6. The full version is expected to be released in the spring of 2004.
Pricing has not yet been announced for the full version of Toon Boom Studio 2.5. However, TBT says the new version will be a free downloadable update for those who purchased and registered version 1.2 for the Macintosh. For more information, visit http://www.toonboomstudio.com.
Contact the author: Dave Nagel is the producer of Creative Mac and Digital Media Designer; host of several World Wide User Groups, including Synthetik Studio Artist, Adobe Photoshop, Apple DVD Studio Pro, Mac OS, Adobe InDesign, Adobe LiveMotion, Creative Mac and Digital Media Designer; and executive producer of the Digital Media Net family of publications. You can reach him at email@example.com.
Related Keywords:Toon Boom Studio 2.5 Coming to the Mac