News: Page (1) of 1 - 12/28/11 Email this story to a friend. email article Print this page (Article printing at MyDmn.com).print page facebook

Tips for safe fireplace operation, ash disposal

Officials offer fireplace safety and ash disposal tips after Conn. fire kills 5 on Christmas By The Associated Press

A fatal fire apparently caused by live embers thrown out near a Connecticut home has authorities renewing calls for safe disposal of ashes. Some fireplace safety tips:

' Overbuilt fires can ignite creosote in the chimney, so don't use too much paper to build fires.

' Never burn charcoal indoors; it can give off lethal amounts of carbon monoxide.



' Keep flammable materials away from the mantel.

' Before you go to sleep, be sure a fire is out.

' Never break a synthetic log apart or use more than one at a time; they often burn unevenly, releasing higher levels of carbon monoxide.

' Never close the damper with hot ashes in the fireplace; it could cause the fire to heat up and force carbon monoxide into the house.

' If you leave ashes in the fireplace, make sure there's a metal screen or glass partition in place.

' If you scoop ashes, put them in a metal container and place it well away from the house. Embers can remain hot enough to start a fire as long as a day later.

___

Sources: U.S. Fire Administration, community fire officials


Page: 1


Related Keywords:Christmas Morning Fire-Glance,Fires,Accidents and disasters,General news

[ServletException in:/common/ads/links.jsp] Unable to load class for JSP'

Our Privacy Policy --- @ Copyright, 2015 Digital Media Online, All Rights Reserved