|Page (1) of 1 - 04/12/12||email article||print page|
TiVo Crowns 49ers as Most-Watched Pro Sports Team in Bay AreaTiVo Continues to Serve San Francisco, Oakland, and San Jose Sports Fans as First Ever Offering of Comcast Xfinity(R) On Demand Begins Rollout in the Bay Area (April 12, 2012)
ALVISO, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 04/12/12 -- San Francisco Bay Area residents love to tune their TVs to local sports, but just as the excitement surrounding a new baseball season begins, a TiVo survey finds the San Francisco 49ers the most-watched professional team among Bay Area sports fans. Just inching out the San Francisco Giants for the title, 35 percent of Bay Area residents are most likely to watch a Niners game if given one choice. Rounding-out the area's top TV teams are the San Jose Sharks (preferred by nine percent), the Oakland Raiders and Athletics (both with six percent), and finally the Golden State Warriors (five percent).
"The 49ers may have inched out the Giants as the Bay Area's favorite pro team, but the Giants are pushing to get back to the World Series and will undoubtedly cause a whole lot of TiVo recordings to be set this summer," said Doug Bieter, Vice President of Retail Sales for TiVo. "With summer show premieres and the launch of Comcast Xfinity On Demand for TiVo Premiere for customers exclusively in the Bay Area, there's no better way to enjoy TV than with TiVo."
As baseball and football prove to be the Bay's favorite sports to watch on TV, TiVo found that the SF Giants are the favorite baseball team (70 percent, to the Oakland Athletics' 15 percent) and locals prefer to watch the 49ers over the Raiders (74 percent vs. 12 percent). Perhaps surprisingly, more women said they were looking forward to watching the Raiders on TV this fall (13 percent versus 11 percent of men).
The Bay's Game-Time Tune-Ins
- San Francisco: 87 percent of city dweller sports fans are more likely to watch the Giants on TV this upcoming season, compared to only three percent tuning into A's games
- Peninsula: The highest contingency of excited 49ers viewers live here, with 90 percent planning to tune in next season versus only four percent who are excited to watch the Raiders
- North Bay: Locals selected the Niners as their favorite TV team, the highest of any area (44 percent)
- South Bay: San Jose sports fans are the most die-hard Sharks supporters as two-thirds (32 percent) are likely to watch the hometown team
- East Bay: Raider Nation is no surprise rooted in Oakland with 35 percent of respondents are excited to watch the Raiders; still, 50 percent of respondents in Oakland are excited to catch 49ers games
Sports aren't the only thing that Bay Area locals love to watch on TV. Of all the premieres and finales this season, TiVo found that nearly one-third (32 percent) of San Francisco Bay Area residents are hooked on crime dramas. Bay area locals like musical talent competitions least amongst various TV programming, with 59 percent not tuning into even the biggest shows like "American Idol" and "The Voice."
TV Habits Around the Bay
- San Francisco: The city loves its DVRs, with a whopping 68 percent always recording their favorite shows such as "New Girl" (20 percent are still hooked on this show)
- Peninsula: This area prefers movie actors to stay on the big screen, as only one percent said the emergence of film actors on the small screen is their new favorite TV trend
- North Bay: Locals here opt for viewing convenience (80 percent like to watch programs on their own schedules), with 94 percent recording their favorite TV shows all or some of the time.
- South Bay: Reality TV is loved most by the South Bay residents, with 16 percent tuning in regularly
- East Bay: Locals here are the most hooked of all areas on crime dramas with 38 percent
* TiVo's "Bay Area Sports" Survey was conducted March 2012, and sampled 1,244 respondents
About TiVo Inc.
Founded in 1997, TiVo Inc. (NASDAQ: TIVO) developed the first commercially available digital video recorder (DVR). TiVo offers the TiVo service and TiVo DVRs directly to consumers online at www.tivo.com and through third-party retailers. TiVo also distributes its technology and services through solutions tailored for cable, satellite and broadcasting companies. Since its founding, TiVo has evolved into the ultimate single solution media center by combining its patented DVR technologies and universal cable box capabilities with the ability to aggregate, search, and deliver millions of pieces of broadband, cable, and broadcast content directly to the television. An economical, one-stop-shop for in-home entertainment, TiVo's intuitive functionality and ease of use puts viewers in control by enabling them to effortlessly navigate the best digital entertainment content available through one box, with one remote, and one user interface, delivering the most dynamic user experience on the market today. TiVo also continues to weave itself into the fabric of the media industry by providing interactive advertising solutions and audience research and measurement ratings services to the television industry www.tivo.com.
TiVo and the TiVo Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of TiVo Inc. or its subsidiaries worldwide. ©2012 TiVo Inc. All rights reserved. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Copyright @ Marketwire
Related Keywords: 49ers, San Francisco Bay Area, TiVo, Comcast, Giants, sports, Sharks, TV, Raiders, Athletics , Broadcast, Digital, Camera/Film, Programming, Authoring/Programming, Broadcast Technology, Broadcast, Marketwire, Inc., , Sports, Film, Television, Entertainment, Sports, Football, Baseball, Hockey, Basketball, Other, Women,