|Page (1) of 1 - 03/07/02||email article||print page|
The Foundry Brings Tinderbox to OS XNew versions free for current users; Tinderbox 3 on the way
In addition to OS X support, the new maintenance releases include performance improvement, bug fixes and new features and parameters for the filters in the collections. The Tinderbox 1 filter set includes:
- Beam, which draws a single animatable beam of light in 3D space. Controls are provided for direction, elevation, color, falloff, softness and intensity.
- Blur, which the company says uses a fast Gaussian algorithm that works fast and animates smoothly, regardless of radius. It can also be used to sharpen an image.
- Caustic, which simulates the reflected light patterns seen at the bottom of swimming pools.
- Deflicker, which removes color or luminance flicker from a clip.
- Degrain, which removes grain from film images and noise in video images.
- Diffuse, a pixel-scattering effect with radius and aspect controls.
- Dilate, which is used to erode edges of mattes. It can also be used to grow or generate outlines from mattes.
- DirBlur, which smears pixels in a particular direction. Tracking information can be used to automatically set the amount and direction of blur to simulate motion on fast-moving objects.
- Distorto , which deforms one clip using the luminance of another.
- Droplet, a single droplet ripple effect with amplitude, wavelength, phase, speed and other controls.
- Etch, a charcoal emulator.
- Grad, a tools for creating linear, circular, radial and polygonal gradients.
- HeatHaze simulates the layered rippling distortion caused by hot air.
- Lens, a fisheye lens effect.
- Pattern, which generates a variety of wipe patterns with softness, scaling and rotation controls .
- Rays, a backlighting effect through a matte using streaked light rays that pick up color from the foreground image.
- Sky, a sky simulator with controls for the 3D camera position, clouds, sun, haze, fog, atmosphere and sun flares.
- Starburst , a lens filter that adds radial streaks of light to the highlights. It includes parameters to change the number of rays, rotation and luma clip levels.
- Stutter randomly rearranges frames in a clip.
- Tile translates, scales, rotates and shears clips with edge controls to provide repeating (wallpaper) patterns.
Filters included in the Tinderbox 2 collection are:
- Bandlimit, which converts an image into Fourier space, removes or keeps user specified frequencies, then converts it back into an image.
- Bars, which produces color bars, ramps and other test patterns.
- Blob, which creates shaded spheres that stick and deform when close to each other.
- BlurMasked, a sub-pixel accurate Gaussian blur that uses a mask to control the size of the blur.
- Chromatic, which simulates the chromatic fringing (or interference patterns) seen when light is refracted through poor-quality lenses.
- Contour, which analyzes an image and draws contours along lines of similar luminance.
- Glass, which includes lighting effects.
- Kaleid, which produuces kaleidoscope effects.
- NightSky, which reproduces the brightest 9,000 stars in the sky.
- Paint, which creates paintings from any image.
- PseudoColour, which creates a false colour look by mapping the luminance of an image through a color gradient.
- Wobble, which applies camera shake with motion blur to a clip.
In separate news, The Foundry will show off a new Tinderbox product, Tinderbox 3, at this year's NAB convention, to be held in Las Vegas in April. For more information, visit http://www.thefoundry.co.uk.
Dave Nagel is the producer of Creative Mac and Digital Media Designer; host of several World Wide User Groups, including Synthetik Studio Artist, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDesign, Adobe LiveMotion, Creative Mac and Digital Media Designer; and executive producer of the Digital Media Net family of publications. You can reach him at email@example.com.
Related Keywords:The Foundry Brings Tinderbox to OS X