|Page (1) of 1 - 10/09/01||email article||print page|
Ten Facts About the Computer and Video Game IndustryWhat You May Not Know Could Surprise You
Annual growth rate is about 17 percent, compared with motion picture production and related industries at a growth rate of around 9 percent.
We're at an all time high, and the growth is partly due to the change in who is buying and playing the games.
The Interactive Software Developers Association has come up with 10 facts important for game developers and publishers to know. Here they are:
1. Sixty percent of all Americans age six and older, or about 145 million people, play computer and video games.
2. The average age of a game player is 28 years old.
3. Forty-three percent of game players are women.
4. The vast majority of people who play do so with friends and family. (Almost 60% of frequent game players play with friends, 33% play with siblings, and about one-quarter
play with their spouse and/or parents.)
5. Computer and video games generated $6.02 billion in sales in 2000 and will continue to show strong growth over the next few years.
6. In 2000, over 219 million computer and video games were sold, or almost two games for every household in America.
7. All games are rated by the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB), and over 70% of games are rated "E" for Everyone. (For more information, see www.esrb.org.)
8. Ninety percent of all games are purchased by adults over the age of 18.
9. Nineteen of the top twenty best selling games in 2000 were read "E" for everyone or "T" for teen.
10. In 2000, for the third consecutive year, an astonishing 35 percent of all Americans identified computer and video games as the most fun entertainment activity. A distant second was watching television (18 percent), then surfing the Internet (15 percent), reading books (13 percent), and going out to the movies (11 percent).
Interactive Digital Software Association
1211 Connecticut Ave., NW Suite 600
Washington, DC 20036
Related Keywords:ISDA, games
Source:Digital Media Online. All Rights Reserved