|Page (1) of 1 - 01/19/12||email article||print page|
Symantec Positioned in Leading Analyst Firm's Leaders Quadrant for Endpoint Protection Platforms(January 19, 2012)
MOUNTAIN VIEW, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 01/19/12 -- Symantec Corp. (NASDAQ: SYMC) today announced that it has been positioned by Gartner, Inc. in the Leaders quadrant in the 2012 Magic Quadrant for Endpoint Protection Platforms.(1) The Magic Quadrant positions vendors based on their ability to execute and completeness of vision.
"Cyber attacks which continue to increase in size, scope and sophistication are targeted at organizations of all sizes. Pairing our award-winning Insight technology for superior protection with blazingly fast performance in Symantec Endpoint Protection 12 gives all our customers peace of mind that they are secure and productive," said Blake McConnell, senior director of product management, Symantec. "Symantec Endpoint Protection 12 provides excellent endpoint security without slowing down performance, even in virtual environments."
Symantec Endpoint Protection 12
Symantec Endpoint Protection 12, is being adopted by customers faster than any previous version, and is already installed on more than 2.7 million endpoints globally just six months after it was released. Symantec Endpoint Protection 12 provides unmatched protection through Insight, Symantec's award-winning community and cloud-based reputation technology, and SONAR, Symantec's behavioral detection engine that detects new previously unseen zero day threads based on the behaviors exhibited by the application. Designed for optimal performance in virtual environments, Symantec Endpoint Protection 12 boasts a new architecture that delivers high performance without compromising any of the protection capabilities needed in light of today's advanced threats. Together, these technologies make Symantec Endpoint Protection 12 the fastest, most effective, corporate endpoint security product on the market.
Symantec Insight and SONAR
Symantec Endpoint Protection leverages Insight to detect and block new unknown threats earlier and more accurately than any other corporate security product. Insight measures the reputations of files based on input from more than 175 million machines which have contributed data to Insight since the collection system started in 2007. Insight is tracking information on more than 3 billion executable files with more than 81 billion associations, each of which is updated every 4 hours. An average of more than 75 billion Insight ratings are served to customers each month and more than 45,000 malicious file download attempts are prevented each day by Insight.
SONAR monitors running applications for suspicious behaviors to block zero-day and highly targeted threats in real-time. It evaluates more than 1,300 different dynamic characteristics of running applications and across the Symantec and Norton user-base rates an average of 50 million executables, DLLs and applications each month. This behavior-based security component of Symantec Endpoint Protection detects more than 73,000 malicious files each day using Insight ratings to support the convictions. Together, an average of 250,000 malicious files are detected each day using file heuristics, Sonar and Insight. This translates to a rate of more than 7.5 million each month.
Additional Awards for Symantec Endpoint Protection 12
- Windows IT Pro and their readers awarded Symantec Endpoint Protection 12 Gold in their 2011 Editors' Best and Community Choice Awards in the categories of Best Antivirus/Anti-Malware Product and Best Security Product.
- At the PC World Mexico Awards 2011, Symantec Endpoint Protection.cloud was recognized as the winner in the "Best Security SaaS Solution" category, while Symantec Endpoint Protection SBE was a finalist in the "Best Security Suite for SMBs" category.
- Symantec Endpoint Protection 12 won the IT Pro Corporate Choice 2011 award in Hong Kong recently in their December 2011 issue.
- In Korea, Symantec Endpoint Protection 12 was selected as 1st half year's innovative product by Digital Daily.
- Computerworld Singapore named Symantec Endpoint Protection the winner of Security category - Information Security Suite in Computerworld Singapore Readers' Choice Awards 2011.
- Symantec Endpoint Protection 12 and Symantec Endpoint Protection.cloud are finalists for three SC Magazine's 2012 Reader's Choice awards in the categories of Best UTM Security, Best Cloud Computing Security and Best SME Security Solution.
- The 2011 Redmond Readers Choice Awards selected Symantec Endpoint Protection 12 as the Best Antivirus Tool for the sixth year in a row.
- PCQuest in India reviewed Symantec Endpoint Protection 12 favorably in October 2011.
Security for Any Size
Symantec provides a broad portfolio of flexible solutions to meet the varying needs of companies of all sizes -- from the largest enterprises to small businesses. For mid- to large-sized organizations, Symantec offers Symantec Endpoint Protection 12 for on-premise deployment. Symantec also offers the Symantec Protection Suite Enterprise Edition which includes messaging security and Web security along with backup and recovery capabilities. For smaller organizations, Symantec offers both cloud-based and on-premise solutions with Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition and Symantec Endpoint Protection.cloud, giving customers flexible deployment options to best meet their business needs. Free trial versions are available:
- Symantec Endpoint Protection 12 Trial
- Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition Trial
- Symantec Endpoint Protection.cloud Trial
- 2012 Magic Quadrant for Endpoint Protection Platform
- Symantec Endpoint Protection 12
- Symantec Endpoint Protection 12 Press Kit
Connect with Symantec
- Follow Symantec on Twitter
- Join Symantec on Facebook
- View Symantec's SlideShare Channel
- Subscribe to Symantec News RSS Feed
- Visit Symantec Connect Business Community
About the Magic Quadrant
Gartner does not endorse any vendor, product or service depicted in its research publications, and does not advise technology users to select only those vendors with the highest ratings. Gartner research publications consist of the opinions of Gartner's research organization and should not be construed as statements of fact. Gartner disclaims all warranties, expressed or implied, with respect to this research, including any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
About Business Solutions from Symantec
About Security Technology and Response
The Security Technology and Response (STAR) organization, which includes Security Response, is a worldwide team of security engineers, threat analysts and researchers that provides the underlying functionality, content and support for all Symantec corporate and consumer security products. With Response centers located throughout the world, STAR monitors malicious code reports from more than 130 million systems across the Internet, receives data from 240,000 network sensors in more than 200 countries and tracks more than 25,000 vulnerabilities affecting more than 55,000 technologies from more than 8,000 vendors. The team uses this vast intelligence to develop and deliver the world's most comprehensive security protection.
Symantec is a global leader in providing security, storage and systems management solutions to help consumers and organizations secure and manage their information-driven world. Our software and services protect against more risks at more points, more completely and efficiently, enabling confidence wherever information is used or stored. More information is available at www.symantec.com.
NOTE TO EDITORS: If you would like additional information on Symantec Corporation and its products, please visit the Symantec News Room at http://www.symantec.com/news. All prices noted are in U.S. dollars and are valid only in the United States.
Symantec and the Symantec Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
(1) Gartner, Inc. "Magic Quadrant for Endpoint Protection Platforms," by Peter Firstbrook, Neil MacDonald and John Girard, January 16, 2012
Copyright @ Marketwire
Related Keywords: symantec, security, anti-virus, endpoint, firewall, fiber attack, Applications, Storage, Security, Internet, Cloud Computing, Services, Software, Misc, Backup, Security, Threats, Architecture, Security, Internet Server Applications, Antivirus, application services, Cloud computing security, Management, USA, India, Korea, Singapore, Hong Kong, Marketwire, Inc., , IT (Information Technology), Security, Gold, Internet Technology, Business, Internet, india, mexico, Other,