|Page (1) of 1 - 06/23/05||email article||print page|
Square Box Systems CatDV 4.0 Media Database UpdatedMajor update to their flagship video logging and media database application (June 23, 2005)
Square Box Systems' CatDV 4.0 Media Database
CatDV 4.0 is a cross-platform media asset database, designed for all types of media files but with particular emphasis on video formats, with features that include timecode support, automatic scene detection, automatic logging of DV footage, and the use of preview movies when the original media are offline. It also has full support for media types other than video, such as still images with Exif metadata tags, while most of its features, such as extensive metadata support with unlimited user-defined logging fields, or its powerful searching and printing capabilities, are applicable to any kind of file.
CatDV 4.0 is highly scalable, with the entry level Standard Edition designed for individuals and hobbyists, all the way through to Professional Edition with the Workgroup Server suitable for television companies, studios and large production houses.
CatDV 4.0 sees improvements throughout all areas of the application, with particular highlights including:
- improved preview handling, with new self-contained preview archives and a preview manager window
- search paths to automatically locate media files or previews from different locations
- improved HTML export capability
- improved movie export capability (for example, the ability to add subtitles or a burnt-in copyright text)
- new undo and autosave support
- improved metadata handling
- support for importing WMV and ASF files
- support for MPEG-4 and H.264 preview files (requires QuickTime 7)
- full compatibility with Java 1.4.2 and later
- OMF import capability now included with Professional Edition
- integration with the new Live Capture Plus application.
CatDV 4.0 is available for Macintosh (Mac OS X 10.2 or later) and for Windows (2000, ME or XP) machines running QuickTime 6.5 or later. Prices start at just $79 for CatDV 4.0 Standard Edition, with CatDV 4.0 Professional Edition costing $275 and the CatDV Workgroup Server starting at $695. (Prices quoted are in US dollars.) Discounted upgrades are available for existing users. CatDV 4.0 is available now as a standalone application; a version of the Workgroup Server that is compatible with CatDV 4.0 will be made available shortly (early July).
Full details of the CatDV 4.0 product family are available at http://www.squarebox.co.uk/products.html. A free demo is available for download from the web site.
About Square Box Systems
Square Box Systems Ltd is an independent Stratford-upon-Avon UK based software house specialising in multimedia application development. It was established in 1999 and CatDV, its first retail product, was launched in May 2000.
For further information please visit http://www.squarebox.co.uk.
Related Keywords:Square Box Systems, CatDV 4.0, Media Database, video logging, timecode, scene detection, Exif, metadata, WMV, ASF, QuickTime, OMF, Live Capture Plus,