|Page (1) of 1 - 06/18/04||email article||print page|
SouthPole For Chameleon ReleasedNew third-party, Open Source Soundskin project (June 18, 2004)
Soundart is pleased to announce the release of a new Open Source project released for the Chameleon. This project has been developed entirely by Aleix Riera, an independent Spanish Chameleon developer. Once it had reached version 1.0, Aleix kindly decided to publicly release the source code to allow other developers continue and improve this new soundskin.
SouthPole features four parallel filter bank lines with SP-Delay and Hot Saturation units. It makes a perfect solution for making long, dynamic and constantly pseudo-random evolutive organic pads, ensembles and strings. The possibility of very low frequency generation provides the musician with a powerful opportunity of making huge and endless sustained sounds and chords.
Extract all the juice of the four 4-Pole Filters and make your own experimental phaser effects over the largest pads through SouthPole transformation capability, by enabling all the lines at the same time: "Find the end of the rainbow and fly wherever the winds blow".
The main features of SouthPole v1.0 include:
- Filter Bank: 3 types of 24 dB filter (Low-Pass, Band-Pass and High-Pass) in parallel mode with each line out of four lines available. A total of 12 stereo auto-oscillating Moog-way conceived filters.
- Low Frequency Oscillator Bank: 3 LFO's with their 3 offset adders in each line connected directly to the Filter Controls (cut-off, resonance and panning). A total of twelve 0-to-40 Hz logarithmic LFOs working in parallel mode. All parameters are easily and directly controllable with the knobs by the user (amplitude, frequency and offset).
- SP-Delay Unit: A 4-channel mixer followed by a logarithmic stereo Delay (1,1 milliseconds up to 11 seconds) gives the complete control of the 4 send levels, including a Random control of the echo times.
- Hot-Saturation Unit: A stereo Hot-Saturation Unit will burn slowly the sound, making it strongly hot all the time the sound cries. It works directly on the Filter Bank (after them, in lines 1 & 2, and before in 3 & 4). The perfect emulation of the first sounds of electronic organs and really specific for the most aggressive drums and percussion.
- Global Mixer: A 3-channel stereo mixer allows you to separate the original sound, the line-processed sound, and the delayed sound to adjust the perfect amount of each one at the final mix.
- Factory and User Presets Bank: A total of 256 flash memory containers with 256 Factory and User Presets. The 128 Factory Presets and the 128 User totally editable Presets Bank gives you the fastest access to your own SouthPole configurations and patches.
The SouthPole skin is available now as a free download for Chameleon users on our web site:
Aleix Riera has setup a website to host the soundskin, including all the documentation in English and the source code. All this can be downloaded from:
This new release demonstrates that the Chameleon is more alive than ever and its power keeps growing day after day. Today Chameleon users can take benefit of a new free soundskin which once again increases its value/performance ratio to unbeatable limits.
The Chameleon houses is housed in a 1U rack with the same powerful Motorola DSP processing power found in many top-name brands of audio hardware, along with 2 x 24bit I/O A/D D/A converters and MIDI I/O. Low-level Soundart code allows it to effectively function as a "blank canvas" for talented developers to use how they please. End-users load soundskins like MonoWave II via MIDI and the Chameleon instantly becomes a completely different tool.
The other current soundskins available to date include:
- AUSTRALIS - virtual analog polysynth skin. - CHROMASONIC - workhorse multi FX skin. - AMP-O-MATIC - amp-modeller skin. - INFILTRATOR - monster vocoder and filterbank FX skin. - FAHRENHEIT - dance music production skin. - FX DESIGNER - delay-based FX skin from Spin Audio. - MONOWAVE II - unique open-source fat monosynth DSP project. - ROOMVERB M1 - high quality true-stereo studio reverb skin from Spin Audio.
Soundart is the Spanish company behind the Chameleon concept, the world's first open-platform DSP hardware that marries several key advantages of computers - multi-functionality and re-programmability - with the reliability, transportability and highly optimized coding found in modern hardware processors. We work in partnership with software designers worldwide, creating the ultimate multifunctional studio and live tool. We are the first Spanish company entering the realm of the design and manufacture of DSP-based hardware music and audio products.
Soundart designs, manufactures and markets its own products, offers OEM design, manufacturing and DSP audio programming services to manufacturers of any kind of product related to audio.
For more information visit www.soundart-hot.com
Related Keywords:SouthPole, Chameleon, Soundskin, Soundart, Aleix Riera, filter bank, SP-Delay, Hot Saturation, organic pads, Filter Bank, Low Frequency Oscillator Bank, SP-Delay Unit,