|Page (1) of 1 - 07/09/04||email article||print page|
Soundart Announces Chameleon mkIIDSP studio tool and electronic musical instrument (July 09, 2004)
Soundart is proud to introduce our new concept for the next generation of the Chameleon flexible DSP studio tool and electronic musical instrument. It builds on the successes of the current design and how it has grown into the most flexible studio hardware tool and electronic musical instrument around.
We have watched the idea take hold and now the Chameleon concept is no longer a developer's dream but a user's reality. This new, updated desktop version of our flexible DSP unit takes the project to the next level. We have listened very carefully to all feedback and suggestions about the current model from both developers and users.
We can now present the results of all our research.
About the hardware.
Here are a few of the highlights:
- The Chameleon mkII is a desktop device. It is also easily rack-mountable for those who wish. There is a spacious graphic display, and intuitive controls (all endless encoders with click detent and push switch) that can apply rapid and effortless real-time changes to the internal parameters of the skins. We want to make this unit even more of a musical instrument and device you really want to "play".
- It is capable of hosting all skins internally, stored to flash. Switching between the skins will be practically instantaneous, along with all user settings. Imagine switching skins between songs on a gig...
- Of course, it receives a nice, modern boost in DSP power and speed.
- 4 Analog Audio Balanced Input Jacks for all types of input, selectable levels +4dBu/-10dBV,
- Instrument HiZ selectable for input 2 with level pot.
- XLR mic selectable for input 1 with phantom power.
- 6 Analog Audio Balanced Output Jacks, selectable levels +4dBu/-10dBV.
- S/PDIF Digital I/O.
- MIDI In / Out / Thru.
- Flash card slot for presets and additional soundskins.
- 1 GPO on stereo jack connector.
- 2 GPI on stereo jack connectors (Momentary Switch and Continuous Controller: Pedal Sustain and Expression Pedal).
- USB allows rapid soundskin download (e.g. Fahrenheit takes 3 seconds) and computer based editing (Windows XP / Mac OSX).
- Internal power 110-220VAC/50-60Hz.
About the new skins:
The Chameleon mkII will be launched with not less than 12 soundskins already inside, ready to rock. Current skins will be expanded massively to take full advantage of the desktop unit's power and interface. This means this will be the most flexible desktop unit in the world, right out the box!
Some of the forthcoming soundskins:
- Commodore 64 SID emulator.
- Electric piano.
- Drums clicktrack machine and pattern sequencer.
- PD synthesizer.
All skins will be complimented by full graphic editors for your PC/Mac to integrate effortlessly into the modern digital studio.
Developers and users should rest assured that not only will the future Chameleon still allow everyone to be able to build on all their current work on the first generation unit, but we will still be encouraging the current Chameleon to grow even more.
The Chameleon mkII is expected to be available in Quarter 2, 2005.
About the Chameleon.
The original Chameleon houses in a 1U rack the same powerful Motorola DSP processing power as found in many top-name brands of audio hardware, along with 2 x 24bit I/O A/D D/A converters and MIDI I/O. Low-level Soundart code allows it to effectively function as a "blank canvas" for talented developers to use how they please. End-users load soundskins via MIDI and the Chameleon instantly becomes a completely different tool.
The other current soundskins available to date include:
- AUSTRALIS - virtual analog polysynth skin.
- CHROMASONIC - workhorse multi FX skin.
- AMP-O-MATIC - amp-modeller skin.
- INFILTRATOR - monster vocoder and filterbank FX skin.
- FAHRENHEIT - dance music production skin.
- FX DESIGNER - delay-based FX skin from Spin Audio.
- MONOWAVE II - unique open-source fat monosynth DSP project.
- ROOMVERB M1 - high quality true-stereo studio reverb skin from Spin Audio.
- SOUTHPOLE - open-source modulating filter and saturation unit.
Information about the Chameleon and Chameleon mkII as well as ordering information are available from the Soundart website at:
Soundart is the Spanish company behind the Chameleon concept, the world's first open-platform DSP hardware that marries several key advantages of computers - multi-functionality and re-programmability - with the reliability, transportability and highly optimised coding found in modern hardware processors. We work in partnership with software designers worldwide, creating the ultimate multifunctional studio and live tool. We are the first Spanish company entering the realm of the design and manufacture of DSP-based hardware music and audio products.
Soundart designs, manufactures and markets its own products, offers OEM design, manufacturing and DSP audio programming services to manufacturers of any kind of product related to audio.
Related Keywords:Soundart, Chameleon, Chameleon mkII, DSP, electronic musical instrument, soundskins, Motorola,