|Page (1) of 1 - 01/25/11||email article||print page|
SocialBooks Software Integrates eBooks and User Generated Content(January 25, 2011)
New York, NY, January 25, 2011 --(PR.com)-- New SocialBooks Software Integrates eBooks and User Generated Content
HarperCollins to Release SocialBook-enabled NIV Bible Ebook
RethinkBooks, an innovator in publishing technology, has added interactivity and community to eBooks through its new SocialBooks™ software. In addition, the company announced that HarperCollins will release its NIV Bible eBook as the first SocialBooks-enabled title.
SocialBooks software, introduced today at Digital Book World 2011 in New York City, is available for Apple iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch devices. With this new application, readers can share and enjoy user-generated content with their friends via social media networks including Facebook and Twitter. After linking their SocialBooks-enabled application with their social networks, users can view or create and share content as an overlay to any eBook.
“Consumers love their online eReading devices and are looking for a more engaging and interactive digital reading experience,” said Jason Illian, CEO and co-founder of RethinkBooks. “Content owners, both publishers and authors, want to provide their readers with a more compelling reading experience. With SocialBooks, we’re able to provide content owners the platform they need and the readers with the interactivity they desire.”
Key features of SocialBooks™:
· Interactive Notes: Users can highlight any text within a book and add notes that can be viewed and commented on in real time at the place of insertion. Private groups can be created or users have the option of sharing with their entire social network.
· Photo Sharing: By uploading personal photos or importing photos from Facebook, users can attach a photograph to any section of a book with a note. Friends can then view and comment on the images from within the SocialBooks-enabled application.
· Video Sharing: Anywhere in a book users can create a link to videos on Facebook, Youtube, or other video sharing sources. Friends can then view and comment on the video clips by visiting the relative passage in the book.
· Author Connect: For any book downloaded into a SocialBooks-enabled application, the author of the title has the option of allowing any SocialBooks user to ‘friend’ them and see their text, photo, or video notes as well as comment and develop dialogue.
· Bookshelf: Users can see their friend’s bookshelves and vice-versa as well as how many annotations their friends have made in each book. Users can then click on their friend’s books to purchase and download.
“With SocialBooks, you have a rolling, virtual book club. Imagine reading a book such as ‘The Prince’ by Machiavelli and sharing your thoughts about passages relative to current political issues. Imagine sharing pictures or video clips from your recent trip to Italy to illustrate specific passages. Your friends can then add their own comments, pictures or video that you can enjoy while reading sections of the book relative to those text or image notations,” added Jason Johnson, co-founder of RethinkBooks. “SocialBooks does not change the content of the original text and the overlay is easily toggled on or off by the reader or the content owner. SocialBooks allows consumers to experience books in a completely new and interactive way.”
Also announced today was the first SocialBooks-enabled application to be released by HarperCollins’ division Zondervan. The best selling NIV Bible ebook will be released as a SocialBooks-enabled title for iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch devices through the Apple iTunes Store.
Screen shots of SocialBooks™ are available at:
About RethinkBooks Inc.
RethinkBooks is a technology software and service provider backed by Ingram Content Group and technology entrepreneurs. RethinkBooks seeks to change the way that authors, publishers, and consumers engage with each other in an age of social media and wireless reading devices. For more information visit www.rethinkbooks.com.
Click here to read the full story: SocialBooks Software Integrates eBooks and User Generated Content
Press Release Distributed by PR.com
Copyright 2010 PR.com
Related Keywords:Retail, Furniture & FurnishingsBusiness, Accounting & TaxesBusiness, Human Resources, Management, Technology, SoftwareTechnology, Enterprise Software, Software, Telecommunications, WirelessEnergy, Oil & EnergyAutomotive, Motorcycle & Bike, Lifestyle, Men's Interest, Travel & Tourism, Sports, Outdoors, Travel & Hospitality, Leisure & TourismBusiness, Personnel Announcements, Communications, Publishing, Manufacturing, Chemicals & Plastics, Medical & Health, Dental, Medical Products, Technology, IndustrialArts & Entertainment, Events & Concerts, Lifestyle, Men's Interest, Travel & Tourism, Philanthropy & Non-profit, Charity, Sports, FootballBusiness, Awards, Lifestyle, Beauty, Women's Interest, Retail, Cosmetics, Health Retail, Online RetailArts & Entertainment, Books, Business, Books & Videos, Communications, Print Media, Publishing, Technology, Software