|Page (1) of 1 - 05/31/12||email article||print page|
Seven Tips for Job Search Success(May 31, 2012)
MISSION, KS -- (Marketwire) -- 05/31/12 -- (Family Features) Whether you're a seasoned professional or just getting started, the job search process can be overwhelming. The job search can be particularly challenging for first-time job seekers who may not know where to start. Fortunately, there are a number of ways that candidates can differentiate themselves and improve their chances for success.
When looking for positions and potential careers, one tip is to look for successful companies that offer a breadth of career opportunities. For example, while Target has retail leadership opportunities in stores and distribution centers, the company also offers a wide range of careers, including opportunities in technology, fashion, pharmacy and merchandising. Casting a wide net and looking outside traditional or expected careers may open up new areas of opportunity.
Here are seven career search and interview tips from Target to make your job search successful and rewarding:
- Organize your search. Create a plan of attack -- this can include developing a preparation timeline, creating or updating your resume, and compiling a list of potential employers as well as the kind of positions you seek.
- Maximize your reach. Websites like LinkedIn allow job seekers to stay in touch with previous classmates, internship advisors, colleagues and acquaintances, as well as find new networking opportunities. The site also offers a Learning Center with helpful videos for "Building your brand" and "Growing your network."
- Make the most of your time. Instead of sending out dozens of applications at once, take the time to personalize your resume and cover letter for a few jobs you are really interested in and have a chance of landing. The extra time and effort will help you stand out from the crowd of competitors.
- Ensure your application is top notch. Think of your resume and cover letter as a way to build a bridge between you and the available position. Through your application, demonstrate your ability to do the job and highlight the experiences that make it clear that you are the best fit.
- Prepare for each interview. Complete an assessment of your experience, leadership roles, strengths and weaknesses before the interview, and be prepared to speak about each with the hiring manager.
- Research potential employers. In advance of your interview, make sure to thoroughly research the company and compile a list of at least five questions to ask. Show that you know the company's business by asking insightful questions about their work and history.
- Remember to be yourself. During the interview, try to relax and let your personality shine through. Establishing a personal connection with the hiring manager makes your interview that much more memorable.
For more information on careers at Target, along with helpful interview and resume writing tips, visit www.target.com/careers. You can also visit the Target Pulse Blog to learn more about what it's like to work at Target, and follow @TargetCareers on Twitter for the latest news on available positions.
About Family Features Editorial Syndicate
This and other food and lifestyle content can be found at www.editors.familyfeatures.com. Family Features is a leading provider of free food and lifestyle content for use in print and online publications. Register with no obligation to access a variety of formatted and unformatted features, accompanying photos, and automatically updating Web content solutions.
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=1998228
Copyright @ Marketwire
Related Keywords: job search tips, job search, job seeker, resume, resume tips, interview tips, Target, resume writing, Applications, Networking, Internet, Search, Internet Server Applications, Search Servers, Marketwire, Lifestyle, Internet Technology, Business, Family, Other,