|Page (1) of 1 - 01/17/12||email article||print page|
Score Big on Game Day With Winemaker Mike Martini's Hearty Beef Stew(January 17, 2012)
ST. HELENA, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 01/17/12 -- The culmination of football season is upon us and so is the challenge of finding fare satisfying enough for armchair quarterbacks counting down to the big game. Napa Valley winemaker Mike Martini's hearty beef stew is a make-ahead recipe that allows him to be part the party while scoring big with game day guests.
Martini's recipe is a rich, comforting stew perfect for cold weather months. Cooked at a slow simmer, the stew fills the house with savory smells, welcoming the winemaker after a long, cool day in the vineyard. Plus, it's a clear favorite among guests, particularly when paired with a big Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon.
Mike Martini's Game Day Beef Stew (Serves 4)
- 1 1/2 pound pre-cut stew meat
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1 cup red wine
- 4 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 celery stalks, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Salt and pepper
1. Heat stove top to medium heat, pour olive oil into a large stock pot and place over heat.
2. Salt and pepper all sides of the meat and dredge thru flour coating all sides.
3. When the oil is heated, evenly distribute meat in the stock pot. Sear all sides of the beef until brown.
4. After the meat is browned, pull out of stock pot and set aside.
5. Add onions and garlic to stock pot and cook until translucent.
6. Deglaze with wine and add stock, bring to a boil.
7. Add beef back into the stock pot, cloves, cinnamon and rosemary sprig. Bring up to a boil and then turn heat down to low and cook for 2 1/2 hours.
8. Add carrots and celery and cook for 30 minutes and serve.
9. Enjoy with a glass of wine!
10. Tip: for an extra hearty meal, serve with mashed potatoes.
About Louis M. Martini Winery
For more than 75 years, the Louis M. Martini Winery has crafted award-winning wines from the flagship grape of Napa Valley: Cabernet Sauvignon. With the simple premise that the best grapes make the best wines, founder Louis M. Martini set out to acquire the finest terroir in what is now one of the world's most renowned wine-producing regions. In 1977, Michael Martini, third-generation family winemaker, took the helm. Merging art and science in the winery in 2003, he introduced Cellar 254, an "artist's studio" to experiment with small-production artisan red wines. Today, the winery continues the tradition in which it was established: pursuing the best Cabernet Sauvignon that the region can offer. The Louis M. Martini Winery and tasting room are located on Highway 29 in St. Helena, Calif. For more information, please visit www.louismartini.com. California Table Wine, ©2012 Louis M. Martini Winery, St. Helena, CA. All rights reserved.
Copyright @ Marketwire
Related Keywords: cabernet sauvignon, wine, red wine, game day, football and wine, football, beef stew, cooking , Marketwire, , Sports, Science, Family,