|Page (1) of 1 - 12/22/11||email article||print page|
Release of Scala IDE for Eclipse 2.0 Now AvailableNew Features Include Error Reports as You Type, a Project Builder With Dependency Tracking, Definition Hyperlinking, Better Integration With Java Build Tools and More (December 22, 2011)
MENLO PARK, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 12/22/11 -- Typesafe, the Scala company, this week announced the official release of Scala IDE for Eclipse 2.0 in collaboration with the Scala open source community and Scala IDE users. This new release improves the reliability, performance, and responsiveness of the Scala IDE and supports Typesafe's commitment to provide robust developer tools to make it as easy as possible to leverage Scala for next-generation computing platforms.
Scala, a modern programming language designed for today's multicore hardware and cloud computing workloads, runs on the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) and offers complete interoperability with Java. The Scala IDE for Eclipse provides a first-class developer experience as part of the ubiquitous Eclipse integrated developer environment, the most popular IDE for enterprise Java developers.
Typesafe began support for the Scala IDE project back in late 2010, and together with the community IDE team has since released several beta versions throughout 2011. Version 2.0 is the result of 9 months of intensive work by open source community contributors, users, and the IDE project team at Typesafe.
"To make Scala IDE for Eclipse a production-ready release, we needed to ensure reliability," said Martin Odersky, Chairman and Chief Architect at Typesafe. "Version 2.0 will make developing in Scala significantly more efficient and accelerate the adoption of the Scala programming language. We appreciate the support of community members who helped us reach this milestone with their essential feedback."
Scala IDE for Eclipse 2.0 highlights include:
- Report errors as you type - The IDE saves developers time by type-checking programs as they're typed and notifying programmers of errors before they build. This greatly reduces the number of builds during development.
- Project builder with dependency tracking - In addition, The IDE also saves developers time when building a project by using sbt's engine for tracking dependencies between source files (and even between dependent projects). With this feature, the IDE builds only the necessary sources. This is often many fewer than all the source files in a project.
- Definition Hyperlinking - Ctrl-click on an identifier navigates to its definition. This allows developers to concentrate on their programs, since they don't need to remember in what source file a certain definition lies.
- Content assist - By hitting Ctrl-space, developers can now see a list of all members that can be invoked at a certain point in a program. Even members added through implicit conversions are available. Moreover, programmers can find any class on a classpath, even if it hasn't been imported yet (and the completion engine takes care of adding the import).
- Inferred type hovers - With this feature, developers can now hover with the mouse over an identifier to see its type. This comes in handy when the compiler infers a different type than expected.
- Read more about Scala IDE for Eclipse 2.0 on the Typesafe blog
- Download Scala IDE for Eclipse 2.0
- Contribute to the next version of the Scala IDE for Eclipse by offering your suggestions
- Download Typesafe Stack 1.1
- Follow @typesafe on Twitter
Typesafe, the Scala company, provides the most scalable software platform designed for the computing architectures of the future -- multicore, parallel and cloud applications. It does this through Scala, the 100 percent Java-compatible programming language created by Typesafe co-founder Martin Odersky for modern computing architectures. Scala has a rapidly growing community of users and contributors, and is proven in production with some of the world's most highly trafficked web properties, including Foursquare, LinkedIn and Twitter. The company's Typesafe Stack provides a Scala runtime and Akka middleware solution with tools to accelerate Scala development. Typesafe provides subscription support, training and services for organizations ready to bet their software architecture on Scala.
LEWIS Pulse for Typesafe
Copyright @ Marketwire
Related Keywords: Typface, Scala, Java, cloud computing, multicore, parallel computing, IDE, Eclipse, Marketwire, , Internet Technology, Computer Science,