|Page (1) of 2 - 10/23/01||email article||print page|
QuickTime Quick TipSubtitling your QuickTime movies With more and more pressure to have websites and streaming media comply with ADA standards, now would be a good time to figure out how to add closed captioning to your streaming media files.
In the past, I have discussed how to add text tracks to your RealVideo streams using .xml tags and codes. This time around we will quickly walk through how to add titles, subtitles, credits, or in this case, captions to a QuickTime movie.
The good thing about adding text data to a QuickTime movie is that it uses very little additional file space. Another advantage is that the text is scalable because it is generated as a vector graphic instead of a bitmap.
How to do it
1. Open a text-editing program, like SimpleText on the Mac or Notepad on the PC. It doesn’t matter which text editor you use, as long as you can save a plain text document from it.
2. Type your titles, text, or subtitles and save the file as a text only document.
3. Launch QuickTime Player 5.0.2 (upgrade by going to the Apple site), and creating a new movie from the File menu. You will need to use the QuickTime Pro version and not the free download player.
4. Choose Import and select the text file you just created.
5. Click Convert to convert the file to a text movie. Open the Options menu, which will allow you to set the text parameters such as font, background color (this is important), drop shadow, and antialiasing. Apple recommends that you also let QuickTime auto fit the text for best results.
6. Since we are going to layer the text over video, check the Keyed Text box. This makes the background color we chose a moment ago transparent.
Related Keywords:Quicktime, ADA, closed captioning, titles, text track, quicktime, stephen schleicher, digital webcast, RealVideo, SMIL, MAGpie, WGBH
To Comment on This Article, Click HERE
Most Recent Reader Comments:
Click Here To Read All Posts
Must be Registered to Respond (Free Registration!!!, CLICK HERE)
Source:Digital Media Online. All Rights Reserved