|Page (1) of 1 - 02/28/12||email article||print page|
Quantum Tackles Big Data Challenges With Newest StorNext Appliances for Flexible, On-Demand Data Access and ManagementGeneral Availability of Gateway Appliances Enable Customers to Leverage Full, End-to-End StorNext Offerings (February 28, 2012)
SAN JOSE, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 02/28/12 -- Quantum Corp. (NYSE: QTM), a proven global expert in data protection and big data management, today announced the availability of new StorNext® appliances designed to help organizations proactively manage the extreme growth of unstructured data. The StorNext G300 Gateway appliances simplify and leverage high-speed networking technologies to provide flexible and affordable data access in big data environments. Offered in two models, the gateway appliance is purpose-built to provide virtual, highly available access over an IP connection to large data sets managed by the high-performance StorNext file system. With new digital technologies creating larger data files that can generate greater business value, the StorNext G300 appliance is ideal for data intensive operations, such as film editing and transcoding, seismic processing or genome sequencing. It is also optimized for organizations with a growing number of users who need high-performance, parallel access to a scalable infrastructure of shared big data files.
Beyond the StorNext G300 now being generally available, Quantum announced that it has added the new StorNext QS2400 Storage System to its primary disk product line, further building out the company's StorNext appliance family offerings.
StorNext G300 Gateway Appliances
- The StorNext gateway appliance's virtual access to a shared data pool enables it to be configured for "on demand" provisioning of clients over Ethernet. This LAN connectivity into the StorNext File System also provides those clients with high-speed networking access to cost-effective tiered storage via StorNext Storage Manager.
- New, gateway-based LAN client licensing brings greater flexibility, making it easy to accommodate changes in workflows or the overall configured StorNext environment.
- Quantum's StorNext G301 supports GbE (Gigabit Ethernet) with aggregate throughput of 800 MB/sec per appliance, and the StorNext G302 supports 10 GbE with aggregate throughput of 1.6 GB/sec per appliance. Throughput scales as needed when multiple StorNext G300 Gateways are combined in a single cluster to support a large number of LAN clients.
- The gateway appliance is compatible with StorNext software and StorNext metadata controllers. Multiple StorNext G300 appliances can be attached to a single StorNext environment for high availability, automated load balancing and best-in-class per-stream performance which scales to enable faster optimized workflows and resilient file sharing.
- A gateway conversion kit is available for customers that want to protect their prior investments and transition between a 1 GbE and 10 GbE network infrastructure.
StorNext QS2400 Storage System
- The StorNext QS2400 array is validated and optimized for StorNext implementations and provides a blend of high performance and high capacity for organizations with primary disk needs. The new storage system also offers enterprise-class redundancy, availability and manageability to address the needs of demanding big data computing environments.
- Encased in a 2U 24-drive chassis, the StorNext QS2400 Storage System uses 900 GB 10K, 2.5" SAS drives and scales to over 172 TB of raw capacity in a single array.
Product Availability and Pricing
Quantum's StorNext G300 Gateway appliances, Gateway Conversion Kit and StorNext QS2400 Storage System are available now. List pricing is as follows:
- StorNext G301 begins at $22,000
- StorNext G302 begins at $32,000
- StorNext G301 to G302 Gateway Conversion Kit begins at $12,000
- StorNext QS2400 begins at $118,500
Janae Stow Lee, senior vice president, Filesystem and Archive, Quantum
"The desire to cost effectively extract greater value from digital content has created tremendous demand for solutions that both protect data and make it easily accessible. Six months ago we announced our plans to expand our StorNext appliance family to address these complex challenges, and today we are pleased to announce that we've delivered on that promise. Our new gateway appliance provides virtualized IP access to digital data stored and protected by StorNext. With today's announcement, customers can now benefit from the power of our proven StorNext software in purpose-built, end-to-end hardware that simplifies the delivery of unparalleled streaming performance for sharing and archiving large volumes of big data."
- Learn more about StorNext's solutions for big data: http://www.quantum.com/solutions/BigDataManagement/index.aspx
- Read more about StorNext and the StorNext appliance family: http://www.quantum.com/products/BigDataManagement/index.aspx
- Follow the latest StorNext happenings on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/stornext
- Join the StorNext conversation on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/stornext
Quantum Corp. (NYSE: QTM) is a proven global expert in data protection and big data management that provides a unique combination of intelligent storage solutions and unmatched value for traditional, virtual and cloud environments. From small businesses to multinational enterprises, more than 50,000 customers trust Quantum to help cost effectively manage data growth and extract the full value from their digital assets. The company's offerings include: DXi®-Series disk-based deduplication and replication systems for fast backup and restore, Quantum vmPRO solutions for protecting virtual machine data, Scalar® tape automation products for disaster recovery and long-term data retention, and StorNext® big data management software and appliances for high-performance file sharing and archiving. Quantum Corp., 1650 Technology Drive, Suite 800, San Jose, CA 95110, (408) 944-4000, www.quantum.com.
Quantum, the Quantum logo, DXi, Quantum vmPRO, Scalar and StorNext are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Quantum Corporation and its affiliates in the United States and/or other countries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
"Safe Harbor" Statement: This press release contains "forward-looking" statements. All statements other than statements of historical fact are statements that could be deemed forward-looking statements. Specifically, but without limitation, statements relating to 1) customer benefits and value to customers from using the StorNext appliances and 2) customer demand for and Quantum's future revenue from such appliances are forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Safe Harbor. All forward-looking statements in this press release are based on information available to Quantum on the date hereof. These statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that may cause Quantum's actual results to differ materially from those implied by the forward-looking statements. These risks include operational difficulties, unexpected material deviation in product operation, the ability of competitors to introduce new solutions that compete more successfully with our solutions, unexpected changes in market conditions and unanticipated changes in customers' needs or requirements, as well as the risks set forth in Quantum's periodic filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including, but not limited to, those risks and uncertainties listed in the section entitled "Risk Factors," in Quantum's Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on February 9, 2012 and Quantum's Annual Report on Form 10-K filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on June 14, 2011, especially those risks listed in this section under the heading "Our operating results depend on a limited number of products and on new product introductions, which may not be successful, in which case our business, financial condition and operating results may be materially and adversely affected." Quantum expressly disclaims any obligation to update or alter its forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
Copyright @ Marketwire
Related Keywords: big data, big data management, gateway appliance, tiered storage, archiving large volumes of data, Storage, Networking, Business Issues, Hardware, Software, Misc, Backup, Archiving, Metadata, Connectivity, Ethernet, Management, Broadcast, Management, Streaming, Digital, Data Management, Camera/Film, Business, Tape, Encoding/Transcoding, Internet Media, Network (LAN), USA, Marketwire, , Financial, Appliances, Film, Biology, Genetics, Business, disaster, Family, Other,