|Page (1) of 1 - 04/16/12||email article||print page|
Quantum Introduces New Scalar LTFS Appliance and Showcases StorNext Solutions at NABWill Present Live Product Demonstrations and New StorNext Customer Use Cases (April 16, 2012)
LAS VEGAS, NV -- (Marketwire) -- 04/16/12 -- National Association of Broadcasters -- Quantum Corp. (NYSE: QTM), a proven global expert in data protection and big data management, today unveiled the Scalar LTFS (Linear Tape File System) appliance which offers new modes of portability and user accessibility for archived content on LTO tape. It features a NAS front-end and is based on the LTFS open-standard for content formatting. Because it works with existing application and file system tools, LTFS-based content is easily managed, transported and accessible for long-term data protection and archival storage. The Scalar LTFS appliance can also be used to import and export LTFS open-standard media into a StorNext File System. This flexibility provides a cost-effective content distribution alternative for cloud services and applications such as video archiving.
At NAB, Quantum will highlight how its StorNext® solutions can manage data in the world of content shift, where increasing storage demands from 4K, 3-D and new platforms for content consumption are straining workflows that create and deliver content. Quantum's booth will feature live demonstrations of the new Scalar LTFS appliance and the complete StorNext appliance family, including its new metadata, gateway, archive and storage systems optimized for StorNext. Quantum partners, including Autodesk, Dalet, Levels Beyond, OpenText and Telestream, will also present case studies on integrated StorNext solutions at Quantum's booth (#SL5024) in the Las Vegas Convention Center, April 16-19. For more details on presentation schedules, please visit www.quantum.com/NAB2012.
Scalar LTFS Appliance
- For broadcasters and post-production facilities, the NAS interface on Scalar LTFS enables media files captured on digital recording media such as XDCAM disk or P2 SSD to be easily copied onto LTO tape. This frees up the high-end digital media for reuse, saving the cost of additional expensive media. The Scalar LTFS appliance presents files stored on tape as a file system, making it easy for users and applications to organize and search archived content.
- Customers using Quantum's StorNext File System for high-performance collaborative content creation can use the Scalar LTFS appliance to import content from production sites on LTFS tape into StorNext. Likewise, StorNext can leverage the Scalar LTFS appliance to export content in the open LTFS format for portability to other sites, partners or customers.
- Scalar LTFS helps content providers offer low-cost cloud applications, such as image archiving in the cloud where higher latency SLAs are acceptable. When a customer requests images that are archived in the cloud, a provider can use Scalar LTFS to copy content on to tape and send it to the customer. The tape can be transported and read from any LTO tape device regardless of what application is used.
- With the ability to access up to 10 PBs of archived data, Scalar LTFS scales as content and performance needs grow. Files can be dragged and dropped to LTFS tape cartridges in Quantum's Scalar® libraries and partitioned directly from the user's native file browser.
- Scalar LTFS appliance will be available in three models (enterprise, departmental and SMB) beginning in June 2012. List pricing begins at around $15,000.
Robert Clark, senior vice president, Data Protection Group, Quantum
"The digital media landscape continues to evolve with new emerging technologies and new content monetization models. The performance, scalability and heterogeneity of StorNext solutions, along with the open-standards based Scalar LTFS appliance, enable media and entertainment providers to capitalize on these opportunities and enhance the value of their content while protecting prior investments and preserving future flexibility."
- Understand LTFS and its benefits: www.quantum.com/Products/TapeDrives/LTOUltrium/LTO-5/LTFS/Index.aspx
- Learn more about StorNext's solutions for big data: www.quantum.com/solutions/BigDataManagement/index.aspx
- Read more about StorNext and the StorNext appliance family: www.quantum.com/products/BigDataManagement/index.aspx
- Follow the latest StorNext happenings on Twitter: www.twitter.com/stornext
- Join the StorNext conversation on Facebook: www.facebook.com/stornext
Quantum Corp. (NYSE: QTM) is a proven global expert in data protection and big data management that provides a unique combination of intelligent storage solutions and unmatched value for traditional, virtual and cloud environments. From small businesses to multinational enterprises, more than 50,000 customers trust Quantum to help cost effectively manage data growth and extract the full value from their digital assets. The company's offerings include: DXi®-Series disk-based deduplication and replication systems for fast backup and restore, Quantum vmPRO solutions for protecting virtual machine data, Scalar® tape automation products for disaster recovery and long-term data retention, and StorNext® big data management software and appliances for high-performance file sharing and archiving. Quantum Corp., 1650 Technology Drive, Suite 800, San Jose, CA 95110, (408) 944-4000, www.quantum.com.
Quantum, the Quantum logo, DXi, Quantum vmPRO, Scalar and StorNext are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Quantum Corporation and its affiliates in the United States and/or other countries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
"Safe Harbor" Statement: This press release contains "forward-looking" statements. All statements other than statements of historical fact are statements that could be deemed forward-looking statements. Specifically, but without limitation, statements relating to 1) customer benefits and value to customers from using the StorNext appliances and solutions; 2) availability of the aforementioned StorNext appliances and solutions and 3) customer demand for and Quantum's future revenue from such appliances are forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Safe Harbor. All forward-looking statements in this press release are based on information available to Quantum on the date hereof. These statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that may cause Quantum's actual results to differ materially from those implied by the forward-looking statements. These risks include operational difficulties, unexpected material deviation in product operation, unexpected delays in availability of new or existing appliances or solutions, the ability of competitors to introduce new solutions that compete more successfully with our solutions, unexpected changes in market conditions and unanticipated changes in customers' needs or requirements, as well as the risks set forth in Quantum's periodic filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including, but not limited to, those risks and uncertainties listed in the section entitled "Risk Factors," in Quantum's Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on February 9, 2012 and Quantum's Annual Report on Form 10-K filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on June 14, 2011, especially those risks listed in this section under the heading "Our operating results depend on a limited number of products and on new product introductions, which may not be successful, in which case our business, financial condition and operating results may be materially and adversely affected." Quantum expressly disclaims any obligation to update or alter its forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
Copyright @ Marketwire
Related Keywords: big data, linear tape file system, video archiving, NAS interface, tape library, StorNext, NAB 2012, Pro AV, Post/Production, Management, Presentors, Management, Data Management, Business, Tape, USA, Marketwire, , NAB Attendees, National Association of Broadcasters, Financial, Appliances, Business, Entertainment, disaster, Family, Other,