|Page (1) of 1 - 10/17/11||email article||print page|
Quantum Drives Advancement in Virtual Data Protection With Two New Solutions for Smaller Sites and Enterprise Data Centers(October 17, 2011)
SAN JOSE, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 10/17/11 -- Quantum Corp. (NYSE: QTM)
- New vmPRO 4601 turnkey appliance with capacity-on-demand for SMBs
- New vmPRO software for data centers
- Special introductory offers supporting both new products
Quantum Corp. (NYSE: QTM), a proven global expert in data protection and big data management, today announced two new vmPRO virtual data protection offerings:
- vmPRO 4601 Appliance is a turnkey virtual machine (VM) backup solution for small and medium-sized businesses (SMBs) and remote offices that brings capacity-on-demand scalability to VM protection. It more than doubles available capacity and introduces support for vSphere 5, the most recent version of VMware's offering.
- vmPRO Software is a new data protection solution with advanced utilities designed to dramatically improve and simplify virtual data protection in midrange and larger data centers. vmPRO software works with Quantum's DXi® deduplication appliances to accelerate backup, restore, and disaster recovery (DR) protection in data center virtual environments while reducing IT costs.
Quantum is launching both products with limited-time introductory offers that bring leading VM data protection within reach of the tightest IT budgets.
The vmPRO 4601: Simple Scalability, Leading Data Reduction, and Fastest Restore for Virtual Data Protection
- The vmPRO 4601 is an all-in-one data protection solution which simplifies backup, restore, and DR protection in VMware environments. Its high-speed backup application writes data directly to an integral disk target, leveraging deduplication for long-term retention and fast restores.
- With capacity-on-demand, the vmPRO 4601 provides fast, non-disruptive scalability without requiring hardware changes or service visits. The vmPRO 4601 has pre-loaded capacity which can be activated in 4 TB increments, up to 12 TB, by simply activating a licensing key.
- Support for vSphere 5 and VMware's own increased scalability range allows users to expand the range of virtual data protected while obtaining optimal data reduction rates.
- The vmPRO 4601 reduces backup volumes by up to 75 percent and incorporates Quantum's deduplication technology for industry-leading data reduction. It also delivers industry-leading restore time objectives (RTO) by retaining the virtual machines in their native format on the deduplication storage system, eliminating a multi-step recovery process from a proprietary backup format.
- For DR protection, the vmPRO 4601 includes replication software that automatically copies datasets to another vmPRO 4000 appliance (vmPRO 4510 or vmPRO 4601) or Quantum DXi system in a remote data center. Replication is an automated, lights-out process that leverages deduplication to reduce bandwidth requirements by up to a factor of 50.
- The new vmPRO 4601 provides up to 12 TB usable storage in a compact 2U rack-mount enclosure leveraging 2 TB disk drives, which are now also available across Quantum's DXi4000, DXi6000 and DXi8500 deduplication appliances.
- Starting at $24,250 MSRP, the vmPRO 4601 is the industry price leader for an all-inclusive VM backup solution. The base price includes a RAID 6 storage system and all necessary software licenses: backup software, CIFS/NFS interfaces, replication with encryption, and support for Symantec OpenStorage API (OST).
Free vmPRO 4000 Units Provided in Introductory Offer
- Through Dec. 31, 2011, Quantum is offering a free DR vmPRO system with the purchase of any vmPRO 4000 and Quantum Vision management software (Quantum's global management and reporting software that gives users a single centralized portal for their VM backup solution).
New vmPRO Software for Midrange and Enterprise Data Centers Accelerates Backup, Enables Consolidation
- Quantum's vmPRO software is a VM data protection solution that works with DXi appliances to simplify and accelerate backup, restore, and DR protection in virtual environments while reducing IT costs.
- The vmPRO software utilities present a file system view of VM files, automatically create native-format VM copies on secondary disk, reduce VM backup data by up to 75 percent, and raise deduplication rates. All vmPRO utilities operate inside the virtual environment, eliminating the need for external servers, and they support third-party backup applications, providing optimized results in mixed environments.
- Quantum's vmPRO software delivers the most effective deduplication rates and the fastest VM recovery in the industry, leveraging data optimization technology to reduce backup data in VMs and providing industry-leading rates of overall data reduction.
Free vmPRO Software Provided with Purchase of DXi Appliances
- Through Dec. 31, 2011, customers who purchase a DXi6701/02 or DXi8500 are eligible for complimentary vmPRO software licenses and support.
- Rob Clark, senior vice president, Disk and Tape Data Protection Group, Quantum: "The acquisition of Pancetera Software has allowed us to launch the first vmPRO products in record time with industry-leading technology that dramatically simplifies data protection for virtual environments, and we are backing them with promotions that provide stunning value. With these new product offerings, Quantum should be at the top of the list for customers looking for virtualized data protection solutions."
Pricing and Availability
- vmPRO 4601 starts at $24,250 MSRP and is available Nov. 1, 2011.
- vmPRO software is available today. A typical license for a deployment used with an 8 TB DXi6701 appliance, including one year of service, is $8,080.
- To listen to a podcast featuring Quantum Vice President of Virtualization Henrik Rosendahl discussing the vmPRO 4601 and vmPRO software, visit: http://www.quantum.com/Products/vmbackup/vmpro4000podcast
- To register for the weekly live vmPRO webinar, visit: http://www.quantum.com/vmPROwebinar
- To read Quantum's Q&U blog, including Disk Product Marketing Manager Steve Whitner's perspective on virtual data protection developments, visit: http://blog.quantum.com
- For a Quantum Data Sheet on the vmPRO 4000, including the vmPRO 4601, visit: http://www.quantum.com/Products/vmbackup/vmpro4000/Index.aspx
- Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/quantumcorp
- Add us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/quantumcorp
Quantum Corp. (NYSE: QTM) is a proven global expert in data protection and big data management. From small businesses to multinational enterprises, more than 50,000 customers trust Quantum to solve their data protection, retention and management challenges. Quantum's best-of-breed, open systems solutions provide significant storage efficiencies and cost savings while minimizing risk and protecting prior investments. They include: DXi®-Series disk-based deduplication and replication systems for fast backup and restore, Scalar® tape automation products for disaster recovery and long-term data retention, StorNext® data management software and appliances for high-performance file sharing and archiving and vmPRO solutions for protecting virtual machine data. Quantum Corp., 1650 Technology Drive, Suite 800, San Jose, CA 95110, (408) 944-4000, www.quantum.com.
Quantum, the Quantum logo, DXi, Pancetera, Quantum Vision, Scalar, StorNext and vmPRO are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Quantum Corporation and its affiliates in the United States and/or other countries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
"Safe Harbor" Statement: This press release contains "forward-looking" statements. All statements other than statements of historical fact are statements that could be deemed forward-looking statements. Specifically, but without limitation, statements relating to 1) customer benefits and value to customers from using Quantum's vmPRO 4601 appliances and vmPRO software, 2) customer demand for and Quantum's future revenue from such appliances and software, and 3) the availability of the vmPRO 4601 appliances are forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Safe Harbor. All forward-looking statements in this press release are based on information available to Quantum on the date hereof. These statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that may cause Quantum's actual results to differ materially from those implied by the forward-looking statements. These risks include operational difficulties, unforeseen technical limitations, unexpected material deviation in product operation, the ability of competitors to introduce new solutions that compete more successfully with our solutions, unexpected changes in market conditions and unanticipated changes in customers' needs or requirements, as well as the risks set forth in Quantum's periodic filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including, but not limited to, those risks and uncertainties listed in the section entitled "Risk Factors," in Quantum's Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on August 9, 2011 and Quantum's Annual Report on Form 10-K filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on June 14, 2011, especially those risks listed in this section under the heading "Our operating results depend on a limited number of products and on new product introductions, which may not be successful, in which case our business, financial condition and operating results may be materially and adversely affected." Quantum expressly disclaims any obligation to update or alter its forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
Copyright @ Marketwire
Related Keywords: deduplication, dedupe, virtualization, virtual data protection, disaster recovery, data replication, Applications, Sales & Marketing, Storage, Hardware, Software, Misc, Backup, Archiving, Management, USA, Marketwire, Financial, Appliances, Business, disaster, Other,