|Page (1) of 1 - 08/11/10||email article||print page|
Oracle Virtual Desktop Infrastructure 3.2 Now AvailableNew Scalability, Multimedia, and Administration Enhancements Enable Improved Performance and Lower Costs (August 11, 2010)
REDWOOD SHORES, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 08/11/10 -- Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL)
- Furthering its commitment to desktop virtualization, Oracle announced the newly released Oracle Virtual Desktop Infrastructure 3.2.
- Oracle Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) is a complete management, hosting and access solution for virtualized desktops hosted in the datacenter. By enabling standardized virtual desktop images, Oracle Virtual Desktop Infrastructure helps reduce administration overhead, lower total cost of ownership and increase security.
- New features in Oracle Virtual Desktop Infrastructure 3.2 include global hot-desking, multi-company capabilities, enhanced video and audio capabilities and administrative enhancements.
- Oracle Virtual Desktop Infrastructure 3.2 is part of Oracle Virtualization, the industry's most complete virtualization portfolio -- from desktop-to-datacenter.
Complete Management, Hosting and Access for Virtual Desktops
Oracle Virtual Desktop Infrastructure 3.2 provides:
- Scalability enhancements:
- Global hot-desking, allows administrators to link multiple, global datacenters and helps ensure a high quality user experience, regardless of location;
- The ability to redirect requests to alternate sites if a datacenter is unavailable, providing enhanced disaster recovery;
- Multi-company capability, enabling one deployment to share resources and serve multiple domains and directories, helping service providers and large enterprises with complex directory services architectures.
- Multimedia improvements:
- Enhanced video support provides smoother video playback on all supported virtual desktop operating systems;
- Audio-in support allows users to send audio to their Windows XP virtual desktops.
- Administration enhancements and optimizations:
- Built-in Windows virtual desktop provisioning offers a faster and simpler alternative to third party tools;
- Desktop re-provisioning allows the underlying Windows virtual desktop images to be updated while preserving user settings and data, making operating system updates easier and conserving disk space;
- Memory sharing and memory ballooning for Windows virtual desktops increases virtual machine density, and enables better utilization of server resources with dynamic virtual machine memory management. This helps provide an optimum balance between high consolidation ratios and high performance;
- Enhanced backup, notification, and storage with integrated backup and restore of Oracle Virtual Desktop Infrastructure server settings, new system alarms and search options, and enhancements to storage utilization.
- Additionally, Oracle Virtual Desktop Infrastructure 3.2 offers the broadest choice of virtual desktop operating systems including Windows 7, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 2000, Oracle Enterprise Linux, Ubuntu, and SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop; a built-in virtualization host optimized for virtual machines running desktop operating systems, which can also integrate with VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V; and support for Oracle Sun Ray Clients and most modern PC and Macs.
- "This release of Oracle Virtual Desktop Infrastructure is further evidence of Oracle's commitment to providing a complete portfolio of virtualization solutions that helps reduce costs and leverages existing IT resources," said Wim Coekaerts, senior vice president, Linux and Virtualization Engineering, Oracle. "The latest Improvements in scalability, multimedia, and administration can help remove the barrier to entry for organizations considering virtual desktop architectures, and allow them to increase IT efficiency and flexibility."
- Download Oracle Virtual Desktop Infrastructure 3.2. Terms, conditions and restrictions apply.
- Oracle Desktop Virtualization
- Oracle Virtual Desktop Infrastructure
- Oracle Virtual Desktop Infrastructure Information Center
- Oracle's Virtualization Blog
- Wim Coekaerts' Blog
- Oracle VDI Bloggers
Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL) is the world's most complete, open, and integrated business software and hardware systems company. For more information about Oracle, visit oracle.com.
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Copyright @ Marketwire
Related Keywords: products, services, products and services, oracle, Storage,Security,Computer Technology,Business Issues,Hardware,Services,Software,Misc,Backup,Security,Administration,Management,Windows,Unix,Mac,WinXP,Windows Vista,Linux,OS9,OSX,Marketwire,Computer Science,Business,Outdoor Sports,disaster,Other,