|Page (1) of 1 - 10/04/11||email article||print page|
Oracle Continues to Move Java Forward and Details Java SE 8 RoadmapTwitter Becomes the Latest Company to Join the OpenJDK Community (October 04, 2011)
SAN FRANCISCO, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 10/04/11 -- JAVAONE -- Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL)
- Oracle today announced its plans for advancing the Java Platform, Standard Edition (Java SE) with a roadmap for Mac OS X releases and an update on Java SE 8.
- Oracle is releasing technology previews of both Java SE 7 and Java FX 2.0 on Mac OS X, with plans to release Java SE 7 on Mac OS X for developers in Q2 2012 followed by a consumer version later in 2012.
- The OpenJDK Community hosts the development of Java SE 7 on Mac OS X and JDK 8, the prototype reference implementation of Java SE 8.
- The OpenJDK Community continues to thrive with contributions from Oracle, as well as other companies, researchers, and individuals.
- Twitter recently joined the OpenJDK Community. Twitter engineers can now participate fully in OpenJDK development and plan to contribute some of their internal improvements to the HotSpot Java Virtual Machine (JVM) to OpenJDK.
- Oracle is continuing its work to merge the Oracle Java HotSpot JVM and the Oracle JRockit JVM into a converged offering that leverages the best features of each of these market-leading implementations.
- JDK 7 contains the first version of the converged JVM, with features inspired by JRockit, including manageability and heap-based metadata storage.
- Plans for the next version of Java SE 8 are moving forward and Oracle is announcing a revised roadmap for a release with expanded scope, with availability expected in summer 2013.
- Proposed JDK 8 Features include:
- Lambda expressions ("closures") for higher developer productivity, better leveraging of multi-core CPUs, and bulk data-processing enhancements to the Java collections APIs.
- A Java-native module system ("Project Jigsaw") which will simplify the construction, packaging, and deployment of applications, and also enable a fully-modular Java platform which allows customized deployments on servers, clients, and embedded systems.
- A next-generation Java Client in the form of JavaFX 3.0.
- Modern device support, including multi-touch.
- Completion of the HotSpot/JRockit JVM convergence project, including performance enhancements and a second-generation Java Flight Recorder.
- Oracle is showcasing Java SE and related technologies during JavaOne 2011 at 136 combined conference sessions, BOFs and Hands-On Labs, as well as in the JavaOne Exhibition Hall.
Java SE 7 Update
- JDK downloads have increased by 91%, Year over Year
- More than 250 Java User Groups in 55 countries hosted their own Java SE 7 release launch events with support from Oracle.
- More than 50,000 views to date of Oracle's Java 7 celebration webcast
- More than 50,000 subscribers to the premier issue of Java Magazine, which highlights the Java SE 7 launch. Java Magazine is a free subscription, published on a bi-monthly basis in digital and mobile formats.
- New Oracle Java Certification trainings available now -- updated for Java SE 7.
- Oracle has also recently released Java SE 7 for Embedded on ARM and x86 platforms.
Java Facts and Figures
- 97% of enterprise desktops run Java
- 1 billion Java downloads each year
- 9 million developers worldwide
- #1 programming language (TIOBE Programming Community Index)
- More than 3 billion devices are powered by Java technology
- "Oracle remains firmly committed to advancing Java SE and will continue to collaborate with the Java community on the evolution of the Java platform through OpenJDK and the Java Community Process. We are very pleased with the progress we've made together over the past year -- particularly, with the Java SE 7 release," said Adam Messinger, vice president of development, Oracle Fusion Middleware. "It's an exciting time in Java development and we'll continue to move Java forward with updates like the Mac OS X port and our plans for Java SE 8."
- Java 7 Celebration Webcast Replay
- Java Platform, Standard Edition
- Java at Oracle
- Oracle Embedded Java Products
- OpenJDK Community
- Planet JDK (JDK developer blogs)
- Java User Groups
- Java Source Blog
- Follow the conversation on Twitter: follow @Java
- I Love Java on Facebook
Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL) is the world's most complete, open, and integrated business software and hardware systems company. For more information about Oracle, please visit our Web site at http://www.oracle.com.
JavaOne San Francisco returns to the Zone October 2-6, a developer-friendly neighborhood. At the heart of the Zone is the Mason Street Cafe, a block-long playground and lounge bordered by JavaOne hotels (the Hilton San Francisco Union Square, Hotel Nikko, and Parc 55 Wyndham). JavaOne brings experts and enthusiasts together for an extraordinary week of learning and networking focused entirely on all things Java and moving the #1 development platform forward. With more than 400 sessions covering topics that span the breadth of the Java universe, keynotes from foremost Java visionaries, and engaging activities geared toward developers, JavaOne is the world's most important event for the Java community. For more information, please visit: www.oracle.com/javaone.
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
The preceding is intended to outline our general product direction. It is intended for information purposes only, and may not be incorporated into any contract. It is not a commitment to deliver any material, code, or functionality, and should not be relied upon in making purchasing decisions. The development, release, and timing of any features or functionality described for Oracle's products remains at the sole discretion of Oracle Corporation.
Copyright @ Marketwire
Related Keywords: products, services, products and services, oracle, Applications, Storage, Networking, Internet, Hardware, Services, Software, Misc, Metadata, Server Hardware, Server Computers, Internet Server Applications, Mac, OS9, OSX, Marketwire, Internet Technology, Biology, Business, Other,