|Page (1) of 1 - 04/23/12||email article||print page|
Oracle Beats NetApp Results on SPECsfs2008 NFS Benchmark at Less Than Half the Price, Sets Two-Node World RecordNew Enhancements to Oracle's Sun ZFS Storage Appliance Boost Performance, Management and Capacity (April 23, 2012)
REDWOOD SHORES, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 04/23/12 -- Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL)
- Extending the performance, efficiency and manageability of its third-generation Sun ZFS Storage Appliances, Oracle today announced new enhancements for its award-winning network attached storage (NAS) platform.
- With the new enhancements, the Sun ZFS Storage 7420 appliance (two-node) beat all current NetApp SPECsfs2008 NFS benchmark results, four-node and smaller(1).
- The Sun ZFS Storage 7420 appliance set a two-node world record on the SPECsfs2008 NFS benchmark, delivering 267,928 SPECsfs2008_nfs.v3 Ops/sec with an Overall Response Time (ORT) of 1.31 msec(1).
- The Sun ZFS Storage 7420 appliance delivered 41 percent higher throughput than the dual-controller NetApp FAS6240 and 164 percent higher throughput than the dual-controller NetApp FAS3270 on the SPECsfs2008_nfs benchmark at less than half the list price of both current results(2).
New Updates Increase Integration with Oracle Software, Help Accelerate Application Performance
- With its new capabilities, Oracle's Sun ZFS Storage Appliances can deliver even more compelling performance and cost savings for customers seeking optimization with Oracle software, speed and efficiency.
- Oracle's Sun ZFS Storage Appliances deliver enterprise-class NAS capabilities ideal for enterprise applications, virtualization, cloud, storage consolidation, and data protection. The latest enhancements enable customers to:
- Accelerate storage, virtual machine and application performance - The Sun ZFS Storage 7420 appliance now features a two-node high-availability controller with up to two terabytes (TB) of memory, up to 11 TB of flash-based Read and Write cache, and 80 CPU cores, allowing the system to handle more concurrent enterprise applications, support more virtual machines, and improve business efficiency. With these enhancements, a single Sun ZFS Storage 7420 appliance controller can now support up to 64x more memory and up to 10x more cores than a NetApp FAS3270 controller.
- Easily manage Oracle VM 3.0 environments - With the Oracle VM Storage Connect Plug-in for the Sun ZFS Storage Appliance, customers can seamlessly provision and manage Sun ZFS Storage Appliance LUNs and can execute advanced data protection features directly from the Oracle VM Storage Connect Console.
- Harness the power of Oracle Enterprise Manager Grid Control 12c - Via the Sun ZFS Storage Appliance Plug-in, key appliance data on system performance, health and configuration can be passed to the Oracle Enterprise Manager console to alert administrators for analysis and to support system reporting, extending the benefits of management from a single pane of glass to Sun ZFS Storage Appliance customers.
- Scale to 1.7 Petabytes (PB) - To address rising enterprise data growth, Sun ZFS Storage Appliances now offer larger three terabyte capacity-optimized SAS-2 hard disk drives within its unique, fully automated Hybrid Storage Pool environment. These new drives complement existing performance-optimized 15,000 RPM SAS-2 drives and enable the Sun ZFS Storage 7420 appliance to scale to over 1.7 PB in total capacity.
- Oracle's Sun ZFS Storage Appliances are the only NAS products engineered with Oracle's complete software stack, from Oracle Applications to Oracle Database and Oracle VM, as well as the Oracle Exadata Database Machine and Oracle SPARC SuperCluster T4-4.
- "Oracle's Sun ZFS Storage Appliances offer a compelling proposition for customers looking to extend deployment of NAS storage for critical enterprise applications," said Phil Bullinger, senior vice president, Storage, Oracle. "With the enhancements announced today, Oracle is delivering new value to customers and extending its storage leadership."
- Oracle's Sun NAS
- Oracle's Sun ZFS Storage Appliance Series Family Data Sheet
- Storage magazine's Quality Awards for NAS
- Oracle Storage Benchmarks
- White Paper: Gaining Business Advantage Through Storage Management Efficiency with Oracle's Sun ZFS Storage Appliance
- Oracle Hardware on Facebook, Twitter
Oracle engineers hardware and software to work together in the cloud and in your data center. For more information about Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL), visit www.oracle.com.
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
SPEC and SPECsfs are registered trademarks of Standard Performance Evaluation Corporation (SPEC). Results as of April 23, 2012, for more information see www.spec.org.
(1) Sun ZFS Storage 7420 Appliance 267,928 SPEC SFS2008_nfs Ops/sec, 1.31 msec ORT, NetApp FAS6240 190,675 SPEC SFS2008_nfs Ops/Sec, 1.17 msec ORT, NetApp Data ONTAP 8.1 Cluster-Mode (4-node FAS6240) 260,388 SPEC SFS2008_nfs Ops/Sec, 1.53 msec ORT. NetApp FAS3270 101,183 SPEC SFS2008_nfs Ops/Sec, 1.66 msec ORT SPECsfs2008_nfs.v3 http://www.ideasinternational.com/Benchmark-Top-Ten/SPECsfs2008_nfs.
Nodes refer to the item in the SPECsfs2008 disclosed Configuration Bill of Materials that have the Processing Elements that perform the NFS Processing Function. These are the first item listed in each of disclosed Configuration Bill of Materials except for EMC where it is both the first and third items listed, and HP, where it is the second item listed as Blade Servers. The number of nodes is from the QTY disclosed in the Configuration Bill of Materials as described above.
(2) Configuration Bill of Materials list price for Oracle result of US$ 423,644, https://shop.oracle.com/pls/ostore/f?p=dstore:product:3130100562972910::NO:RP,6:P6_LPI:424445173149341922658385. SPECsfs2008_nfs.v3 Configuration Bill of Materials list price for NetApp FAS3270 result of US$ 1,215,290. http://www.netapp.com/us/media/na-list-usd-netapp-custom-state-new-discounts.html. Configuration Bill of Materials list price for NetApp FAS6240 result of US$ $1,224,350. http://www.netapp.com/us/media/na-list-usd-netapp-custom-state-new-discounts.html.
Copyright @ Marketwire
Related Keywords: Servers and Storage Systems, Sun , Oracle, Applications, Storage, Productivity Applications, Database, Hardware, Software Development, Software, Misc, Database, Other Applications, Other, Management, Marketwire, , IT (Information Technology), Enterprise Applications, HP, Appliances, Business, Family, Other,