|Page (1) of 1 - 05/15/12||email article||print page|
Oracle Announces Participation in 2012 Bay Area Maker FaireOffers Attendees an Opportunity to Help Build the Future With Java Technology (May 15, 2012)
REDWOOD SHORES, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 05/15/12 -- Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL)
- Oracle is pleased to be part of the 2012 Bay Area Maker Faire, May 19-20 at the San Mateo County Fairgrounds.
- Visit the Java Zone in the Expo Hall to help bring to life storyboarding, 3-D animation building, device programming, body motion sensors, game making and more. Highlights include:
- Learn how Java interacts with other devices using a motion sensor and a Webcam, the Microsoft Kinect records motion to animate a Java game.
- Play Breakout using the PicoBoard, an external circuit board with sensors for sound, light, a slider and a button, plus four resistance sensors.
- Learn how to build your own animation and learn about storytelling, problem-solving, identifying actors and actions, and more. Then develop, compile, and test programs to animate a story.
- In the DIY Learning area of the Java Zone, attendees can find out more about the Oracle Academy and check out:
- Alice, a tool that leverages storytelling to teach Java programming fundamentals using 3-D graphics and a drag-and-drop interface;
- Greenfoot, a 2-D tool for teaching Java programming basics through game-building in high schools and universities; and
- The Oracle Academy's newly released Java curriculum designed to awaken and deepen student interest in computer science and support the teaching of computer science in high schools and community colleges to better prepare students for 21st century careers.
- Oracle's Maker Faire Panel Presentation Center Stage (in the Meeting Pavilion) will take place on Sunday, May 20, 12:30-12:55 p.m. This panel focuses on why Java technology dominates cutting-edge software development and what students and newbies need to learn to get started.
- Connect with Oracle Java on OTN, Java Source Blog, Facebook and Twitter.
- Consumers can go to java.com to check to see what version of Java they are currently running and download the latest release.
Java Facts and Figures
- 97% of enterprise desktops run Java
- 1 billion Java downloads each year
- 9 million developers worldwide
- More than 3 billion devices are powered by Java technology
About the Oracle Academy
The Oracle Academy provides a complete portfolio of software, curriculum, hosted technology, faculty training, support, and certification resources to secondary and higher education institutions for teaching use. Faculty can insert these resources into computer science and business programs, ensuring that students gain industry-relevant skills prior to entering the workforce. The Oracle Academy supports over 1.5 million students in 95 countries. To learn more, visit http://oracle.com/academy.
Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL) is the world's most complete, open, and integrated business software and hardware systems company. For more information about Oracle, please visit our Web site at http://www.oracle.com.
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Copyright @ Marketwire
Related Keywords: products, services, products and services, oracle, Education,Internet,Hardware,Software Development,Marketwire, ,Internet Technology,Computer Science,Business,Science,Other,