|Page (1) of 1 - 01/04/12||email article||print page|
OpenLogic Announces 2011 Open Source Adoption Trending ReportTop 3 Gainers Are HBase, Node.js and nginx (January 04, 2012)
BROOMFIELD, CO -- (Marketwire) -- 01/04/12 -- OpenLogic, Inc., provider of enterprise open source solutions for the cloud and the data center, today announced its 2011 trending report for open source in three key categories, including web and application servers; application frameworks; and databases and big data.
To develop its report, OpenLogic analyzed popular as well as up-and-coming open source projects that are used as core infrastructure in enterprise applications in order to evaluate whether enterprise adoption was trending up, staying level or trending down. For each open source project, OpenLogic analyzed eight metrics that include public data, as well as aggregated data from OpenLogic's tools and customer base of over 250 enterprises worldwide.
Top 5 Gainers
The following projects showed the biggest gains in 2011 over 2010:
1. HBase, a distributed, column-oriented database system built on top of Hadoop.
3. nginx, a high concurrency, low memory usage web server and reverse proxy.
4. Hadoop, a framework for distributed processing of large data sets across clusters of computers.
5. Rails, a highly scalable web application framework.
OpenLogic also evaluated each category and categorized projects as "trending up" (up across most or all metrics), "trending level" (up and down on a roughly equal number of metrics), or "trending down" (down across all or most metrics).
The Application Server/Web Server category:
- Trending Up: Node.js and nginx
- Trending Level: Tomcat and Apache HTTP Server
- Trending Down: JBoss and GlassFish
The Frameworks category:
- Trending Up: Rails
- Trending Level: Spring, Grails, Struts
- Trending Down: (none)
The Databases and Big Data category:
- Trending Up: HBase, Hadoop, MongoDB
- Trending Level: MySQL, PostgreSQL
- Trending Down: CouchDB
Overall Ranking of the Selected 16 Open Source Projects By Percentage Growth:
"OpenLogic has a 360 degree view of how open source is being deployed in the enterprise and in the cloud," said Kim Weins, senior vice president of marketing at OpenLogic. "The projects that allow organizations to efficiently scale their operations and manage Big Data are by far outpacing the growth of other open source projects. We expect to see many of these up-and-coming projects continue to challenge the traditional open source leaders over the coming year."
The OpenLogic report ranked year over year (January 2010 through November 2010 and January 2011 through November 2011) data based on growth (or loss) on eight metrics:
- Public data: Google search volume.
- OpenLogic OLEX and Scanner: The report evaluated OLEX search volume, views of packages, downloads, requests within corporations to use the project and matches against the project during scans. OpenLogic OLEX is a Software-as-a-Service solution for the comprehensive governance and provisioning of open source software used by many Fortune 100 companies.
- OpenLogic CloudSwing and Support Contracts: OpenLogic aggregated data on customers purchasing support contracts from OpenLogic for each project, as well as projects that users deployed through OpenLogic CloudSwing, an open PaaS platform.
OpenLogic will examine the results of their 2011 trending report in an upcoming webinar:
"5 Must-Watch Trends for Open Source in the Enterprise"
Wednesday, January 18, 2012
2:00-3:00pm ET (11:00am-12:00pm PT)
To register, please visit: http://openlogic.com/news/events.php
OpenLogic is a leading provider of open source solutions that enable enterprises to safely acquire, support, and control open source software. OpenLogic provides enterprises with a certified library of open source software that encompasses hundreds of the most popular open source packages via OpenLogic Exchange (OLEX), a free website where companies can find, research, and download certified, enterprise-ready open source packages on demand. With the broadest open source coverage in the industry, OpenLogic offers indemnification; updates; and enterprise-grade technical support backed by the OpenLogic Expert Community. OpenLogic also provides solutions for open source scanning and governance -- reducing the risk and maximizing the cost savings associated with using open source software. For more on OpenLogic, go to www.openlogic.com.
Copyright @ Marketwire
Related Keywords: open source, oss, software, applications, research, Big Data, HBase, Node.js, nginx, Hadoop, Internet,Internet search,Digital Media Software,Web,Search,Applications,Research,Google,Applications,Sales & Marketing,Productivity Applications,Database,Computer Technology,Internet,Business Issues,Software Development,Other Applications,Open Source,Other,Search,Internet Server Applications,Search Engines,Search Servers,Web Servers,Tools,Marketwire, Inc., ,IT (Information Technology),Enterprise Applications,Internet Technology,Internet,Other,