News: Page (1) of 1 - 10/26/11 Email this story to a friend. email article Print this page (Article printing at MyDmn.com).print page facebook

Officials: Many issues led to Southwest blackout

Officials say utility worker not sole reason for Southwest US blackout the struck 7 million By The Associated Press

SAN DIEGO (AP) ' Utility officials say last month's blackout that turned off the lights on 7 million people in the Southwest U.S. and Mexico was not caused by a single utility worker doing a minor repair job as originally thought.

Federal investigators and authorities from California and Arizona public utility companies said at a legislative hearing Wednesday that it is too soon in the probe to pinpoint the cause behind the cascading outages.

Stephen Berberich says investigators have discovered that at least 20 problems took place across five grids within an 11-minute period. Berberich is president and CEO of the California Independent System Operator, which operates the state's wholesale power system.



The Sept. 8 outage darkened homes in southern California, Arizona and the northern part of Mexico's Baja California.


Page: 1


Related Keywords:Power Outage-Probe,Power outages,Accidents and disasters,General news

[ServletException in:/common/ads/links.jsp] The absolute uri: http://java.sun.com/jstl/core cannot be resolved in either web.xml or the jar files deployed with this application'

Our Privacy Policy --- @ Copyright, 2015 Digital Media Online, All Rights Reserved