|Page (1) of 1 - 04/24/12||email article||print page|
Norton Solves Password Pain With Identity SafeFree Service Eliminates the Hassle of Remembering Passwords While Keeping Consumers Safe Across PCs, Macs, iOS and Android Devices (April 24, 2012)
MOUNTAIN VIEW, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 04/24/12 -- For many consumers, keeping track of their online user names and passwords across all of their different devices feels like an impossible task. In fact, when given a list of potentially challenging activities, 40 percent of people surveyed by Norton by Symantec (NASDAQ: SYMC) indicate remembering all of their passwords is among the top three most difficult -- more than those who selected balancing their checkbook. Logging into an email or bank account shouldn't be fraught with stress, guesswork and memory tricks. With Norton Identity Safe, a free, cloud-enabled service, consumers can easily and securely store and synchronize all of their passwords across PCs, Mac®(1) computers, iOS devices such as iPhone® and iPad®, and Android devices.(2)
Recent Norton research found that 70 percent of people have forgotten a password in the past month. That may explain why people often resort to using weak passwords based on their pet's name, family member's name or birthday. However, this puts consumers at risk of identity theft and loss of personal information when a hacker cracks one obvious password and gains access to all of their accounts. Others keep a physical list of passwords at home -- not much use for the 48 percent of people who access online accounts on-the-go from their mobile device.
"Too often, people turn to bad password habits -- using the same easy password for all of their accounts or writing down a list of passwords and taping it to the computer," said Marian Merritt, Norton Internet Safety Advocate. "Even though passwords have been around for a long time, the sheer number we all have to remember is constantly increasing. Norton Identity Safe is a simple, secure way to keep track of your personal information, no matter where you go or what device you use."
To begin using Norton Identity Safe, consumers can visit https://identitysafe.norton.com/ and follow a few simple steps that will free them from ever having to remember another password. Available free of charge, Norton Identity Safe delivers simple, secure password management for PCs, Mac computers, iOS devices such as iPhone and iPad, and Android devices.
Norton Identity Safe features include:
- Multi-platform synchronization - Synchronizes information across platforms and devices, eliminating the hassle of remembering multiple user names, passwords, contact information and credit card numbers. Norton Identity Safe allows users to access their credentials anywhere they go.
- Safe Search & Norton Safe Web - Help consumers protect their identities and avoid potentially risky sites by letting them know whether a site is safe to visit directly from their search results.
- Share(3) - Allows users to safely share online content by sending URLs through email and social networking plugins, directly from Norton Identity Safe.
About Norton by Symantec
Norton protects the Stuff that matters to consumers, across all aspects of their digital lives. Norton provides a range of security solutions including technologies for PCs and mobile devices, live tech support services and online backup. Like Norton on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/norton.
Symantec is a global leader in providing security, storage and systems management solutions to help consumers and organizations secure and manage their information-driven world. Our software and services protect against more risks at more points, more completely and efficiently, enabling confidence wherever information is used or stored. More information is available at www.symantec.com.
NOTE TO EDITORS: If you would like additional information on Symantec Corporation and its products, please visit the Symantec News Room at http://www.symantec.com/news. All prices noted are in U.S. dollars and are valid only in the United States.
Symantec, the Symantec Logo, the Checkmark Logo, and Norton are trademarks or registered trademarks of Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Forward Looking Statements: Any forward-looking indication of plans for products is preliminary and all future release dates are tentative and are subject to change. Any future release of the product or planned modifications to product capability, functionality or feature are subject to ongoing evaluation by Symantec, and may or may not be implemented and should not be considered firm commitments by Symantec and should not be relied upon in making purchasing decisions.
(1) The Mac version will not include Safe Search, Norton Safe Web, or Share features explained more fully below.
(2) Norton Identity Safe: Mobile Edition application must be installed on mobile devices to access Norton Identity Safe. The mobile applications complement the PC client, which must be downloaded and installed prior to installing the mobile applications.
(3) Share feature initially available only in PC version of Norton Identity Safe. Share feature is not available for use with current versions of Norton Internet Security, Norton 360, or Norton One.
Copyright @ Marketwire
Related Keywords: Symantec Corporation, Applications, Storage, Security, Networking, Computer Technology, Internet, Services, Software, Misc, Backup, Security, Mobile Devices, Security, Search, Internet Server Applications, E-mail, Search Servers, Management, Mac, OS9, OSX, USA, Marketwire, , Apple Computer, Internet Technology, Internet, Social Networking, Email, Internet Security, Family, Other,