|Page (1) of 1 - 05/27/10||email article||print page|
'Norton Everywhere' Initiative Takes Consumer Business Beyond the PC and SecurityNorton to Combine Mobile, DNS and Smart Device Technologies to Protect and Support Any Internet-Connected Device (May 27, 2010)
NEW YORK, NY -- (Marketwire) -- 05/27/10 -- Symantec (NASDAQ: SYMC) today unveiled Norton Everywhere, a three-part initiative to take Norton beyond the PC and extend trust to new devices and consumer applications. The initiative spans the areas of mobile safety, web safety across any device and embedded services on smart devices. Symantec is combining its own consumer security, backup, and infrastructure technologies with partners -- to deliver Norton services to consumers in an entirely new way. This initiative means that consumers will be able to trust the protection of Norton everywhere -- across many locations, devices and digital experiences. The offerings will be delivered direct to consumers, as well as through new business-to-business offerings.
Products being launched today and in the coming weeks include Norton Smartphone Security for Android Beta, Norton Connect Beta and Norton DNS Beta. The company is demonstrating these technologies and other prototypes today at its annual investor conference in New York.
"We are entering a new era where non-PC devices are exploding in numbers, which means more opportunity for cybercriminals. It's becoming more and more critical for consumers to be protected beyond their PCs," said Janice Chaffin, President Consumer Business Unit, Symantec. "The Norton Everywhere initiative takes a broad view of how Norton can deliver trust and high value to consumers and address evolving market needs. Symantec's breadth of resources, partnerships, global reach and brand recognition make it uniquely able to deliver security and more to any Internet-connected device in the world."
With a never-ending wealth of new features and applications, the smartphone market is seeing explosive growth, and in fact shipments are expected to surpass that of desktop PCs by the end of 2011(1). Norton Mobile will address some of today's most common issues for smartphones, including device loss and data protection. Norton Mobile will address this rapidly growing market by delivering security and non-security offerings for the mobile platform.
Delivering on Norton Mobile
- Norton Smartphone Security Beta for Android is scheduled to be available in June 2010. This new mobile application will give users the ability to remotely lock or wipe their device from prying eyes via text message in the event of device loss. Users will also benefit from Norton-strength antimalware protection and call blocking for unwanted callers.
- Symantec has now joined the partner program of HTC MobilityNow, a division of HTC Corporation, one of the fastest-growing companies in the mobile sector. Symantec and HTC MobilityNow are working in concert for software development and testing on Android and Windows Mobile platforms.
- Also scheduled for June release is the Norton Connect Beta, a free mobile application that can access any files archived via Norton Online Backup or Norton 360 from your iPhone, iPad or Android device. With Norton Connect, users can enjoy anytime, anywhere access to files. Users will be able to download Norton Connect Beta from the Android Market or the iPhone App Store.
- A new mobile destination m.norton.com is now available for all mobile users to access the latest news, videos, and downloads from Norton. The new site is available in English and will be available in German and Japanese in June.
Norton DNS Beta -- based on the Domain Name System which acts as the Internet's invisible switchboard -- has been designed to provide a safer, more reliable, and faster Internet experience by delivering a variety of basic protection services like antiphishing, antimalware and anti-spyware via Norton verified web filtering. Just as people associate Norton security products with scanning files that come onto a system, with Norton DNS, every time a user navigates to a URL, it will be verified. Using DNS technology, Norton is able to deliver another layer of security to both the mobile and PC environments.
Delivering on Norton DNS
- Scheduled to be available in June, the Norton DNS Beta will be free and widely available. Users can provide safer web access to everyone in the home by either manually changing the DNS settings of their home router or alternatively, by installing a small application (available in June at www.nortondns.com) which will configure Norton DNS automatically.
- Also in June, Android users can access Norton DNS Beta for faster, safer web access when on wi-fi via a small, easy-to-install mobile application from the Android Market.
Norton for Smart Devices
According to industry research firm IDC, there are over 10 billion non-PC devices that connect to the Internet today and that number is expected to grow to almost 20 billion by 2014(2). Furthermore, these Internet connected devices often have little or no security built into them. Norton for Smart Devices brings Symantec embedded security and other services into non-PC internet connected media devices such as Blu-ray players, televisions and media streamers, smartphones, home security systems, digital cameras, picture frames and more.
Delivering on Norton for Smart Devices
- Symantec is announcing a strategic partnership with Mocana Corporation. Symantec led Mocana's recent series C investment round. This first partnership under Norton for Smart Devices is meant to provide turn-key solutions to device manufacturers eager to bring new devices quickly to market. Among other goals, our solutions will be designed to help manufacturers:
- Securely and intelligently update a device's firmware, operating system and applications
- Remotely support a device in order to drive down a device's support costs
- Bring secure and robust online storage to a device in order to secure configuration settings, application data and user data.
Products and services related to this partnership will be announced upon availability.
About Norton From Symantec
Symantec's Norton products protect consumers from cybercrime with technologies like antivirus, anti-spyware and phishing protection -- while also being light on system resources. The company also provides services such as online backup, PC tuneup, and family online safety. Fan Norton on Facebook at www.facebook.com/norton and follow @NortonOnline on Twitter.
Symantec is a global leader in providing security, storage and systems management solutions to help consumers and organizations secure and manage their information-driven world. Our software and services protect against more risks at more points, more completely and efficiently, enabling confidence wherever information is used or stored. More information is available at www.symantec.com.
(1) Smartphone shipments will surpass desktop PCs by end of 2011, RBC's Mike Abramsky, Sep. 2009. http://www.pcworld.com/article/171380/more_smartphones_than_desktop_pcs_by_2011.html
(2) IDC Device Base Model, 2009
This forward-looking indication of plans for products is preliminary and all future release dates are tentative and are subject to change. Any future release of the product or planned modifications to product capability, functionality or feature are subject to ongoing evaluation by Symantec, and may or may not be implemented and should not be considered firm commitments by Symantec and should not be relied upon in making purchasing decisions.
Note to Editors: If you would like additional information on Symantec Corporation and its products, please visit the Symantec News Room at http://www.symantec.com/news. All prices noted are in U.S. dollars and are valid only in the United States.
Symantec and the Symantec Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Copyright @ Marketwire
Related Keywords: Mobile DNS, smart devices, security, Home, Internet, Security, Digital Media Software, Communications, WiFi, Digital Audio, DVD, Web, Smart Phone, WiFi Routers, iPods, iphone, iPad, DVD Software, DVD Media, Applications, Security, Research, Applications, Storage, Security, Internet, Business Issues, Software Development, Services, Software, Misc, Online Storage, Backup, Security, Security, Internet Server Applications, Methodology, Platforms, Testing, Management, Internet/Web, Prosumer/Consumer, Business, Internet, Web, Blu-ray/HD DVD, Handheld PC/PDA, DVD Hardware, PDA/Smartphone, OS (Operating System), Storage, USA, Marketwire, Apple Computer, Internet Technology, Computer Science, Business, Internet, Other,