|Page (1) of 1 - 03/25/09||email article||print page|
Nortel Technologies Solve Today's Business ImperativesUnified Communications Portfolio Enhancements Drive Innovation for Customer Advantage (March 25, 2009)
TORONTO, ONTARIO -- (Marketwire) -- 03/25/09 -- Nortel(1) (TSX: NT)(OTCBB: NRTLQ) today introduced customers that rely on the company's voice and unified communications solutions and unveiled new technologies that simplify networks while making them more effective. The new capabilities are designed to help customers optimize their business communications with flexible IP Telephony and applications that evolve at the customer's pace, delivering new UC solutions for increased productivity, collaboration and customer responsiveness.
The City of Orlando has improved response and helped reduce costs with the Nortel solution. "As stewards of public funds, it is absolutely imperative that we spend our dollars wisely. The unified communications solution from Nortel provides network efficiencies, responsiveness and enables the City to get the right information to the citizens who rely on our services," said Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer. "We crafted our network to be available always, and Nortel delivered on that," said Conrad Cross, chief information officer, City of Orlando.
Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering partnered with Nortel in designing and building its unified communications infrastructure. "The college has been able to leverage its initial investment in infrastructure with emerging offerings around unified communications without any 'forklift' upgrades. As an innovative student-centric institution with a goal of supporting the imagination and visualization of our students, Olin has been able depend on the Nortel infrastructure and partnership from day one. That partnership has grown to incorporate enhanced relationships with faculty, students and staff which continue to provide mutual high-value in these challenging economic times," said Joanne Kossuth, vice president for operations and chief information officer, Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering.
The Hospice of Palm Beach has also enhanced operations using a Nortel UC solution. "This industry requires patient care over and above the average healthcare facilities, and the communications demands are more onerous. We need to ensure we are able to provide and receive constant communications with a number of emergency responders, physicians, specialists, family members and clergy. It is simply not acceptable to have any delays in communications, let alone missed calls," said Debbie Rosamelia, chief information officer, Hospice of Palm Beach.
"The healthcare UC solution from Nortel ensures we are always able to reach who we need to, when we need to. Nortel's call recording and quality monitoring systems have proved invaluable in resolving issues that have come up with our customers for whom we provide nursing telephone support. Allowing an administrator to hear the actual phone call and understand why we took the action that we did takes all the 'he said, she said' out of the mix," Rosamelia said.
To serve its citizens and community more effectively, the City of Langford, British Columbia, is using a Nortel unified communications solution. Mike Palmer, manager of Information Technology for the City explains, "Unified communications helps us serve our constituents with a very high-level of responsiveness, ensuring that our engagements are productive and that we are able to resolve matters quickly. Nortel was able to deliver a brand new communications infrastructure built around the Communication Server 1000 according to our design and more importantly, our objectives. We've also been able to lower operational expenses with greater workforce productivity, a key pay-off of the solution. We are very pleased to be able to meet our public obligations more effectively."
To help provide new services and capabilities, Nortel today announced the latest release of the company's award-winning Communication Server 1000 (CS 1000), the enterprise foundation for voice services and unified communications. CS 1000 Release 6.0 enables new levels of functionality designed to enhance simplicity, resiliency, security and openness for users.
"In my conversations with customers, three common themes underscore their needs - managing their IT budget, improving business efficiencies and enhancing the customer experience. The new communications capabilities we introduced today directly improve all three," said Joel Hackney, president, Enterprise Solutions, Nortel. "We are announcing a number of new enhancements to our solutions that deliver the foundational elements and enhanced capability for unified communications that make companies more competitive."
For customers that are looking for rock-solid voice communications with business grade telephony; and for those choosing unified communications, the Nortel CS 1000 Release 6.0 is a compelling platform.
Specifically for this new release, it offers the CS 1000:
- A Linux, software-based solution that allows customers to choose their preferred hardware platform (including Dell, HP and IBM), providing flexibility and investment protection as well as improved efficiencies and collaboration features;
- A new high-density services gateway, called the MG 1010, that centralizes the provision of communications services and applications to simplify operations across the network;
- Enhanced SIP support, increasing scalability and functionality; including support for the new Nortel IP Softphone 3456 and numerous other, third-party low cost SIP sets;
- The Mobility MC 3100 enhancements enables any mobile phone with a web browser such as the iPhone, G-1 and Netbook devices to be integrated into the business network;
- Integration with the newest Nortel Contact Center 7.0 solution, which enables much greater control over quality assurance and remote monitoring capabilities;
- Specialized support for the financial industry with the SIP-based Turret Solution, so named because of the phone banks on the trading floor. Located in "turrets," the phones have unique requirements, including direct-connect with the office for real-time order-placement, barge-in where the caller can interrupt an existing conversation and recording requirements, for example. Support for this new SIP-based solution improves efficiency and is cost effective;
- The Unified Communications Management Solution manages CS 1000 as the UC foundation and provides a management framework that allows a centralized management function for control of all converged network elements;
- New IP Telephone Handsets with wide-band audio technology to augment voice quality, high-resolution color displays and eight new softkey features, the Nortel IP Phone 1165E enables custom application creation and display;
- A new Integrated Unified Messaging solution for CS 1000, the CallPilot(1) 202i with its extensive features and functions in a simplified form factor that resides on a server blade with scale and performance;
- Conferencing enhancements with the Nortel Multimedia Conferencing 6.0 software solution. The platform-independent solution adds new conferencing capability to simplify the user experience and enhance management including announcements, voicemail detection, web management tool and reporting.
The Communication Server 1000 is a software-based, full-featured IP PBX and the cornerstone of Nortel Enterprise unified communications solutions. It provides the benefits of a converged network plus advanced applications and over 750 world-class telephony features. Fully distributed over IP LAN and WAN infrastructure with built-in reliability and survivability, the Communication Server 1000 supports business-critical applications, including unified messaging, customer contact center, IVR, wireless VoIP and IP telephony.
Gartner Inc, the world's leading information technology research and advisory company, has positioned Nortel in the Leaders quadrant in the September 2008 'Unified Communications Magic Quadrant' report. To view Gartner's Magic Quadrant for Unified Communications, 2008 click here.
Nortel is a recognized leader in delivering communications capabilities that make the promise of Business Made Simple a reality for our customers. Our next-generation technologies, for both service provider and enterprise networks, support multimedia and business-critical applications. Nortel's technologies are designed to help eliminate today's barriers to efficiency, speed and performance by simplifying networks and connecting people to the information they need, when they need it. Nortel does business in more than 150 countries around the world. For more information, visit Nortel on the Web at www.nortel.com. For the latest Nortel news, visit www.nortel.com/news.
Certain statements in this press release may contain words such as "could", "expects", "may", "anticipates", "believes", "intends", "estimates", "targets", "envisions", "seeks" and other similar language and are considered forward-looking statements or information under applicable securities legislation. These statements are based on Nortel's current expectations, estimates, forecasts and projections about the operating environment, economies and markets in which Nortel operates. These statements are subject to important assumptions, risks and uncertainties, which are difficult to predict and the actual outcome may be materially different from those contemplated in forward-looking statements. For additional information with respect to certain of these and other factors, see Nortel's Annual Report on Form10-K, Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q and other securities filings with the SEC. Unless otherwise required by applicable securities laws, Nortel disclaims any intention or obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
(1)Nortel, the Nortel logo, the Globemark and CallPilot are trademarks of Nortel Networks.
Use of the terms "partner" and "partnership" does not imply a legal partnership between Nortel and any other party.
Copyright @ Marketwire
Related Keywords: unified communications, Applications, Security, Internet, Business Issues, Hardware, Security, Internet Server Applications, Web Servers, Displays, Management, Unix, Linux, Marketwire, IT (Information Technology), HP, Apple Computer, healthcare, Financial, Communications Technology, Internet Technology, Medical, Computer Science, Business, Family, Other,