|Page (1) of 1 - 01/19/09||email article||print page|
NewTek Releases LightWave 3D v9.6Featuring increased stability, hair and fur cloning, nodes and workflow acceleration (January 19, 2009)
DMN Newswire--2009-1-19--NewTek Inc., manufacturer of industry-leading 3D animation and video products, today announced the release of LightWave v9.6, a major update to its award-winning 3D application, LightWave 3D. LightWave v9.6's new capabilities include improvements to animation, rendering and workflow, with FiberFX cloning, Layout snapping and automatic drag-and-drop file loading. More than 625 feature requests and reported issues have been implemented and resolved between 9.5 and 9.6. LightWave v9.6 is the fifth free update in the LightWave v9 series.
"The amount of work that NewTek has put into 9.6 is nothing short of incredible," said Matt Gorner, Senior Industrial Designer, Creactive Design, UK. "The stability, features and render speed make this release, without a doubt, the finest version of LightWave ever released, period."
"This LightWave update again illustrates NewTek's ability to quickly provide artists with the latest innovations to stay at the top of their games and do their best work," said Jay Roth, president 3D division, NewTek. "Now more than ever, LightWaves many benefits, including the ability to be used in tandem with other applications, make it a necessary part of the pipeline for those doing 3D projects of any kind."
Numerous visual effects projects benefit from LightWave's world-class capabilities, including the 2008 Visual Effects Emmy-winning "Battlestar Galactica" and National Geographic documentary "Inside the Living Body."
LightWave v9.6 numerous benefits to artists include:
- FiberFX Cloning ? Provides the ability to place multiple instances of hair on an object
- Layout Snapping ? Allows the quick connection of one item to another, saving time and additional steps
- Drag and Drop ? Allows an icon of an object or scene to be opened by dropping the icon into Modeler or Layout
- New and Improved Export Buffers? Enables multi-pass pipeline users to output more buffers (layers) in high dynamic range, rather than be limited to 8 bpc (bits per channel), for greater flexibility
- Multi-threaded Pixel Filters ? Provides faster rendering of projects that integrate pixel filters
- Depth Buffer Normalizing ? Allows 3D scene elements exported into film or video footage to automatically blend properly, even if moving relative to one another
- Ray Cutoff ? Enables artists to decide at what point to cease ray bounces when rendering a scene with numerous reflections, refractions and transparency, significantly shortening render time
- Open to other render engines ? Other rendering engines conforming to the LightWave v9.6 SDK can be used directly from within the LightWave interface
- Three New Nodes ?
- Car Paint: Greatly eases the creation of complex polished surfaces
- Flake: A simple procedural texture based upon the flakes often seen in car paint
- Curve: Allows the creation of complex gradients
Pricing and Availability
A free trial edition of LightWave v9.6 is available by download from www.lightwave3d.com/lwtrial. There are now more than 30 hours of free LightWave video training at www.lightwave3d.com, in addition to an extensive library of printable tutorials.
LightWave v9 is available now at the suggested retail price of US$895. LightWave v9.6 is the fifth free update available to registered LightWave v9 owners. Registered owners of LightWave 3D [v8 or earlier] are eligible to purchase an upgrade for US$395. Educational pricing is available. For more information or to purchase, please visit www.newtek.com or call NewTek Sales at 800-368-5441, for international inquiries dial +1-210-370-8000.
About NewTek Inc.
Benefiting producers and artists with its cost-effective and ground-breaking technologies, NewTek Inc. is a leader in 3D animation and special effects tools, portable live production and video editing, including LightWave 3Dand the TriCaster product line. NewTek has won numerous industry accolades, including two Emmy Awards. NewTek products have been used in blockbuster films and television shows, including "The Dark Knight," "Iron Man," "Defiance," "Battle of Red Cliff," "Tropic Thunder," "Battlestar Galactica," "Lost," "Fringe" and more. Clients include: Fox News, BBC, NHL, NBA Development League, MTV, VH1, the Steve Harvey Radio Show, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD). NewTek is privately owned and based in San Antonio, Texas. For more information, please visit: www.newtek.com.
- LightWave and LightWave 3D are registered trademarks of NewTek Inc.
- The TriCaster family of products include: TriCaster, TriCaster DUO, TriCaster PRO, TriCaster STUDIO and TriCaster BROADCAST, which are trademarks of NewTek Inc.
- TriCaster VM, TimeWarp, LiveControl, SpeedEDIT, VT, iVGA, LiveSet, LiveMatte, LiveText, 3D Arsenal and LightWave Rendition are trademarks of NewTek Inc.
- All other products or brand names mentioned are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.
Related Keywords:newtek inc, LightWave, LightWave 3D, 3D animation and effects, Dark Knight, LightWave v9.6