|Page (1) of 1 - 07/15/10||email article||print page|
New Release of Oracle's Sun Ray Software Available NowLatest Features Enhance Efficiency, Access and User Experience; Helps Increase Adoption of Desktop Virtualization (July 15, 2010)
REDWOOD SHORES, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 07/15/10 -- Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL)
- Demonstrating its commitment to provide a comprehensive desktop virtualization portfolio, Oracle announced the latest Sun Ray Software 5 update.
- Sun Ray Software 5 is a secure, cost-effective solution that delivers a rich virtual desktop experience to customers using Oracle's Sun Ray Clients or traditional PCs.
- New features include support for Oracle Enterprise Linux, an enhanced virtual desktop client, and a Sun Ray connector for VMware View 4.
- The new features offer increased efficiency, broader support for heterogeneous environments, improved ease-of-use, enhanced user experience and help lower total cost of ownership.
- The Sun Ray Software 5 update is the latest enhancement to Oracle's virtualization portfolio; the industry's most complete desktop-to-datacenter virtualization.
- With Oracle virtualization, customers can efficiently and easily virtualize and manage their full software and hardware stack, from applications to disk.
- The Sun Ray Software 5 update can be downloaded at: http://www.oracle.com/us/technologies/virtualization/061984.html. Terms, conditions and restrictions apply.
Administrators and End Users Benefit from Broader Support of Heterogeneous Environments, Greater Efficiency, Access and Ease-of-Use
- Sun Ray Software 5 provides a comprehensive Oracle-based virtualization solution that easily integrates with popular third-party technologies like Microsoft Windows Server, Microsoft Active Directory, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, SUSE Linux Enterprise Server, and VMware View.
- This broad support for heterogeneous environments is unique to Oracle's desktop virtualization solutions and offers customers enhanced flexibility and investment protection.
- New features in the Sun Ray Software 5 update include:
- Support for Oracle Enterprise Linux -- enables customers to choose among Oracle Solaris, Oracle Enterprise Linux, Red Hat Enterprise Linux or SUSE Linux Enterprise Server as their server platform to deploy Sun Ray Software;
- Enhanced virtual desktop client -- installs on existing PCs and allows them to be used as an alternative to a dedicated Sun Ray Client device. This enables organizations to quickly experience many of the benefits of the Sun Ray solution, using their existing desktops. New in this release is support for Mac OS X computers, in addition to existing support for Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7;
- Greater mobility -- with the enhanced virtual desktop client, customers can now use smart card readers on supported PCs to "hotdesk" desktop sessions between PCs and dedicated Sun Ray Clients. "Hotdesking" allows users instant access to their desktop sessions simply by inserting a smart card into a Sun Ray Client or a PC with a smart card reader;
- Sun Ray connector for VMware View 4 -- allows Sun Ray Clients to be used as a client with the VMware View 4 virtual desktop infrastructure product;
- Enhanced multimedia with bidirectional audio capabilities -- improves the user experience with Windows applications.
- "The latest updates to Oracle's Sun Ray Software 5 demonstrate Oracle's continued commitment to deliver comprehensive, integrated and cost-effective virtualization solutions from the desktop to the datacenter," said Wim Coekaerts, senior vice president, Linux and Virtualization Engineering, Oracle. "The new features and enhancements, including the breadth of support for heterogeneous environments, enable customers to easily manage and streamline their virtual infrastructure -- providing greater security and access, while reducing costs."
- Oracle Virtualization
- Sun Ray Software
- Sun Ray Clients
- Oracle Virtualization Blog
- Wim Coekaerts' Blog
- Think Thin
Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL) is the world's most complete, open, and integrated business software and hardware systems company. For more information about Oracle, please visit our Web site at http://www.oracle.com.
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle Corporation and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Copyright @ Marketwire
Related Keywords: products, services, products and services, oracle, Applications, Security, Computer Technology, Internet, Business Issues, Hardware, Security, Internet Server Applications, Web Servers, Windows, Unix, Mac, WinXP, Windows Vista, Linux, OS9, OSX, Marketwire, Internet Technology, Business, Other,