|Page (1) of 1 - 10/20/11||email article||print page|
NXP Introduces LDO With Best-in-Class Performance in a Small Wafer-Level Chip-Scale PackageNew LD6806 Family of LDOs Feature Very Low Noise Performance, Low Standby Current and Outstanding ESD Protection (October 20, 2011)
EINDHOVEN, NETHERLANDS and HAMBURG, GERMANY -- (Marketwire) -- 10/20/11 -- NXP Semiconductors N.V. (NASDAQ: NXPI) today announced the availability of the LD6806CX4 ultra low-dropout voltage regulator (LDO), featuring ultra-low dropout of only 60 mV at a 200-mA current rating. With an ultra-small 0.76 x 0.76 x 0.47mm wafer-level chip-scale package (WLCSP), the LD6806CX4 uses minimal board space, making it ideal for extremely space-constrained designs in mobile handsets, where battery life is also a critical success factor. Batteries in mobile phones discharge almost linearly over time, but the LDO compensates for this effect by providing a constant regulated output voltage. For example, if the battery voltage of a smartphone goes down to 3.0 V, due to the low dropout voltage the LD6806CX4 is still able to support an SD card application with a mandatory and stable supply voltage of 2.9 V. The LD6806CX4 is part of NXP's new LD6806 family of LDOs, which are available immediately from major distributors. Further information is available at http://www.nxp.com/linear
Key Features of LD6806 Series
- NXP's new LD6806 LDO series features a very low noise performance of only 30 µVRMS, which helps prevent changes in the regulated output voltage and eliminates the need for an external dedicated noise-reducing capacitor.
- Battery-powered applications are also supported by the low standby current of 0.1 µA (typ), which reduces power consumption and improves battery efficiency.
- The LD6806 series also features outstanding ESD robustness of 10 kV (HBM), thermal shutdown, and a current limiter to protect circuits.
- Package options include the LD6806F in a very small DFN1410-6 (SOT886) leadless package with dimensions of only 1.45 x 1.0 x 0.5 mm, or the LD6806TD in a 5-pin SOT753 general-purpose consumer package with standard dimensions of 2.9 x 1.5 x 1.0 mm.
- In addition to these package options, the NXP low-dropout voltage regulator product portfolio also includes high PSRR performance LDOs with 75 dB, such as the LD6805K in an ultra-small lead-free QFN package (SOT1194), with dimensions of only 1.0 x 1.0 mm and a height of 0.55 mm (max).
- In its Q3 2011 Power Management Tracker, analyst firm Databeans forecasts that the worldwide market for LDO voltage regulators will reach $3.293 billion by 2016.
- "Voltage regulators play a critical role in managing the power efficiency and performance of battery-powered electronic devices. At NXP, our view is that both LDOs and DC/DC converters are necessary to serve the individual voltage requirements with a high power efficiency, a low noise level and in a small package, particularly with the rapid proliferation of portable devices such as smartphones, music players and tablets. Through our broad portfolio in Standard Products and the economies of scale and quality we deliver in manufacturing, NXP offers significant advantages to system designers who want to make the most of our world-class expertise in energy efficiency, component integration and package technology," said Dr. Dirk Wittorf, marketing director, Integrated Discretes product line, NXP Semiconductors.
- "Our newest LDOs for mobile applications take advantage of NXP's expertise in wafer-level chip-scale package technology and combine this with the best dropout performance available. This enables mobile phone designers to extend battery lifetime and minimize board space, both of which are at a premium. As a validation of our approach, one major mobile OEM has given us the best rating for the mechanical performance of our LDOs in chip-scale packages," said Frank Hildebrandt, international product marketing manager, Integrated Discretes product line, NXP Semiconductors.
- NXP standard and advanced linear portfolio
- LD6806 series ultra-low dropout regulator (LDO) product information
- LD6805 series high PSRR low dropout regulator (LDO) product information
About NXP Semiconductors
NXP Semiconductors N.V. (NASDAQ: NXPI) provides High Performance Mixed Signal and Standard Product solutions that leverage its leading RF, Analog, Power Management, Interface, Security and Digital Processing expertise. These innovations are used in a wide range of automotive, identification, wireless infrastructure, lighting, industrial, mobile, consumer and computing applications. A global semiconductor company with operations in more than 25 countries, NXP posted revenue of $4.4 billion in 2010. Additional information can be found by visiting www.nxp.com.
This document includes forward-looking statements which include statements regarding NXP's business strategy, financial condition, results of operations, and market data, as well as any other statements which are not historical facts. By their nature, forward-looking statements are subject to numerous factors, risks and uncertainties that could cause actual outcomes and results to be materially different from those projected. These factors, risks and uncertainties include the following: market demand and semiconductor industry conditions; the ability to successfully introduce new technologies and products; the end-market demand for the goods into which NXP's products are incorporated; the ability to generate sufficient cash, raise sufficient capital or refinance corporate debt at or before maturity; the ability to meet the combination of corporate debt service, research and development and capital investment requirements; the ability to accurately estimate demand and match manufacturing production capacity accordingly or obtain supplies from third-party producers; the access to production capacity from third-party outsourcing partners; any events that might affect third-party business partners or NXP's relationship with them; the ability to secure adequate and timely supply of equipment and materials from suppliers; the ability to avoid operational problems and product defects and, if such issues were to arise, to correct them quickly; the ability to form strategic partnerships and joint ventures and to successfully cooperate with alliance partners; the ability to win competitive bid selection processes to develop products for use in customers' equipment and products; the ability to successfully establish a brand identity; the ability to successfully hire and retain key management and senior product architects; and, the ability to maintain good relationships with our suppliers. In addition, this document contains information concerning the semiconductor industry and NXP's business segments generally, which is forward-looking in nature and is based on a variety of assumptions regarding the ways in which the semiconductor industry, NXP's market segments and product areas may develop. NXP has based these assumptions on information currently available, if any one or more of these assumptions turn out to be incorrect, actual market results may differ from those predicted. While NXP does not know what impact any such differences may have on its business, if there are such differences, its future results of operations and its financial condition could be materially adversely affected. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements, which speak to results only as of the date the statements were made. Except for any ongoing obligation to disclose material information as required by the United States federal securities laws, NXP does not have any intention or obligation to publicly update or revise any forward-looking statements after we distribute this document, whether to reflect any future events or circumstances or otherwise. For a discussion of potential risks and uncertainties, please refer to the risk factors listed in our SEC filings. Copies of our SEC filings are available from on our Investor Relations website, www.nxp.com/investor or from the SEC website, www.sec.gov.
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=1772630
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=1772633
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=1772636
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=1772639
Copyright @ Marketwire
Related Keywords: nxp, ldo, ld6806, ld6805, ld6806cx4, low dropout, voltage regulator, wlcsp, linear, sot886, sot753, Computers/Peripherals, Family, WiFi/Wireless, Tablets, Family, Communications, Movies & Music, Smart Phone, Manufacturing, Office Equipment, Applications, Suppliers, Manufacturing/Production, Phones, Manufacturing, Sales & Marketing, Security, Business Issues, Management, Prosumer/Consumer, Business, Phone, Handheld PC/PDA, Marketing, PDA/Smartphone, Germany, USA, Marketwire, , Financial, Music, Communications Technology, Business, Family, Other,