|Page (1) of 1 - 02/20/12||email article||print page|
Magyar Telekom Rolls Out 4G LTE Services With Cisco Mobile Internet SolutionNew Converged IP Architecture Allows Magyar Telekom to Build Next-Generation Mobile Internet in Hungary (February 20, 2012)
SAN JOSE, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 02/20/12 -- Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) today announced that Magyar Telekom, Hungary's largest telecommunications company, is deploying 4G long-term evolution (LTE) multimedia services using Cisco mobile Internet solutions. Magyar Telekom launched its 4G/LTE-based mobile Internet service to businesses and consumers on Jan. 1, 2012.
Magyar Telekom, part of Germany's Deutsche Telekom Group, selected the Cisco ASR 5000 Series Mobile Multimedia Core, Cisco ASR 9000 Series Aggregation Services Routers, and Cisco ME 3800X Series Carrier Ethernet Switch Routers to help transform its network for the delivery of advanced mobile services like mobile video, social networking and high-speed Web browsing.
Magyar Telekom selected Cisco for its expertise and innovative technology and services. By investing in the converged architecture, Magyar Telekom can adequately scale its 4G mobile broadband network to meet the explosion in mobile data traffic resulting from the rapid adoption of smartphones and mobile Web services by consumers.
The Cisco mobile Internet solutions aim to make service provider networks more mobile, more virtual, more visual and less complicated. Service providers like Magyar Telekom can realize the full benefit of the Cisco MOVE (Monetization, Optimization and Video Experience) strategic framework for the development of solutions that enable them to better monetize and optimize their networks while delivering personalized services across wired and wireless networks.
- Magyar Telekom, which embarked on its large-scale network modernizing project in May 2011, operates the country's largest consumer-access mobile network development program. The company has 5.2 million mobile customers.
- To prepare the commercial launch of the new 4G/LTE service on Jan. 1, between October and December 2011, Magyar Telekom tested an extended network based on 4G/LTE mobile technology with the involvement of several hundred friendly consumers, SMEs and enterprise customers.
- As a result of the intensive development, 40 percent of Budapest's population was covered by 4G/LTE base stations at the launch of commercial service, and all Budapest areas are scheduled to be covered by end of 2012.
- LTE is a wireless broadband technology that supports roaming Internet access via mobile phones and devices. It has been labeled fourth-generation, or 4G, technology because its download speeds and quality are superior to those of existing 2G and 3G networks.
- According to the latest Cisco Visual Networking Index (VNI), mobile data traffic in Central and Eastern Europe will grow 21-fold from 2011 to 2016, a compound annual growth rate of 83 percent. Overall, in Central and Eastern Europe, mobile data traffic is expected to grow two times as fast as fixed Internet Protocol traffic from 2011 to 2016. Mobile video traffic is expected to grow 32-fold over the same period. This rapid growth raises the demand for high-quality mobile broadband networks.
- The Cisco ASR 5000 Series is a purpose-built mobile multimedia core platform featuring a high-performance distributed architecture, service assurance and subscriber awareness. The Cisco ASR 5000 Series uniquely combines high capacity, high availability and powerful performance with customer and network intelligence.
- To support the increased mobile and video demand, Magyar Telekom has increased the capacity and resiliency of its edge and aggregation networks by using Cisco ASR 9000 Series and Cisco ME 3800X Series routers.
- Istvan Maradi, chief technology and information officer, Magyar Telekom Group
"At Magyar Telekom, it is our key objective to make the latest technologies and services accessible for our customers. Therefore, we are delighted to be the first service provider to launch a commercial 4G/LTE service in Hungary. The commercial launch was preceded by a broad-scale test period involving hundreds of residential and business customers -- both SMEs and large enterprise clients. The experiences gained during the test period were thoroughly evaluated before the launch of the service. With that, we have arrived at yet another major phase of the establishment of new-generation 4G/LTE technology in which Cisco also had a great role. During 2012, we will continue the further development and extension of our mobile network."
- Kelly Ahuja, senior vice president and general manager, Mobile Internet Technology Group, Cisco
"Our mobile Internet solutions are designed to offer the performance and scalability benefits of a converged IP infrastructure optimized for the roll-out of LTE services. We anticipate that Magyar Telekom will drive market innovation in the Hungarian market by capitalizing on these benefits to quickly and efficiently launch advanced mobile services like video and mobile Internet with the level of quality its customers have come to expect."
- Magyar Telekom
- Cisco Service Provider Solutions
- Cisco Mobility Solutions
- View the full Cisco Visual Networking Index Global Mobile Data Traffic Forecast for 2011-2016
- Keep up with Cisco's news by visiting the company's Platform Blog
- For more information about Cisco's service provider news and activities visit SP360 or Twitter @CiscoSP360 and @CiscoSPVideo
- To join the conversation on mobility: Cisco Mobility Community
- Subscribe to Cisco's SP360 Feed
Tags/keywords: Cisco, Aggregation Service Routers, ASR, ASR 5000, ASR 9000, mobile Internet, 4G, LTE, mobile video, Visual Networking Index Forecast, VNI, Kelly Ahuja, Istvan Maradi, Magyar Telekom, T-Mobile, Deutsche Telekom
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/rss-feeds
About Magyar Telekom
Magyar Telekom (www.telekom.hu) is the principal provider of telecom services in Hungary. It provides a full range of telecommunications and infocommunications (ICT) services including fixed line and mobile telephony, data transmission and non-voice as well as IT and systems integration services. Magyar Telekom is the majority owner of Makedonski Telekom, the leading fixed line and mobile operator in Macedonia and it holds a majority stake in Crnogorski Telekom, the leading telecommunications operator in Montenegro. Magyar Telekom's majority shareholder (59.21%) is MagyarCom Holding GmbH, fully owned by Deutsche Telekom AG.
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com.
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=1891665
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=1891674
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=1891671
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=1891668
Industry Analyst Contact:
Press contact CEE:
+36 30 9493 405
Copyright @ Marketwire
Related Keywords: Cisco, Aggregation Service Routers, ASR, ASR 5000, ASR 9000, mobile Internet, 4G, LTE, mobile video, Internet, Broadband, Communications, Web, Smart Phone, Video, Social Media, Networking, Internet, Business Issues, Telecommunications, Architecture, Web Services, Internet/Web, Business, Internet, Streaming Media, Web, Broadband, Internet Media, Mobile Video, Hungary, USA, Marketwire, , Internet Technology, Biology, Business, Internet, Social Networking, Other,