|Page (1) of 1 - 11/01/10||email article||print page|
Learn Languages on the Go-busuu.com Launches Seven Interactive iPhone Applications(November 01, 2010)
MADRID, SPAIN -- (Marketwire) -- 09/24/10 -- Editor's Note: There is a photo accompanying this press release.
busuu.com, Europe's largest online language-learning community with over 900,000 users, has launched iPhone applications for learning Spanish, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian and English. Members can synchronise their progress with their online profile, enabling them to switch seamlessly between learning on the iPhone and the busuu.com website.
Available for free download from the iTunes App Store, the new language applications can be used on Apple's iPhone (including the new iOS4), iPod Touch and iPad. They cover beginner to advanced-intermediate learning levels (A1, A2, B1, B2) according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
The free version of each app includes full access to 20 learning units. The complete, paid-for content offers vocabulary units (with more than 3,000 words and phrases), grammar units, 150 dialogues and hundreds of interactive exercises. This can be activated by paying just 3.99 USD per learning level.
The applications, which can be used even without an internet connection, are based on busuu.com's award-winning online language courses and offer fully audiovisual content including pictures and sounds. They also store users' mistakes in the interactive tests, enabling them to focus on their weaknesses and progress much faster with their learning.
"Nowadays, language students don't want to be tied to the fixed timetables and locations of language schools and centres; they want the freedom to learn whenever and wherever they wish, whether you're on the metro or waiting at a bus stop!" says Bernhard Niesner, co-founder of busuu.com.
- busuu.com (http://www.busuu.com) is Europe's largest online community for learning languages, with more than 900,000 members from all over the world. Members have free access to audiovisual online courses for learning Spanish, German, French, Italian, Portuguese, Russian and English. Every day, more than 5,000 users join the website.
- In addition, users can further improve their language skills by connecting with native speakers within the community via an integrated video-chat application and peer-to-peer text corrections. On a daily basis, more than 15,000 posts are corrected by the community. Every busuu.com member is therefore not only a 'student' of a foreign language, but also a 'tutor' of their own mother tongue.
- Busuu.com is a start-up founded in Madrid in January 2008 by Bernhard Niesner and Adrian Hilti, and was a UNESCO partner project during the International Year of Languages in 2008. It has received several prestigious awards, such as:
-- a Silver Lion at the International Marketing Festival, Cannes -- the European Commission European Language Label -- the CeBIT Innovation Award.
- The website's name comes from the Cameroonian language of Busuu, which is spoken by only eight people according to an ethnological study carried out in the 1980s.
- For more information about busuu.com, visit: http://www.busuu.com/press
To view the photo associated with this press release, please visit the following link:
Copyright @ Marketwire
Related Keywords: Online language learning, Spanish, French, Italian, German, Russian, Portuguese, courses, iPhone, Spain, Marketwire, CeBIT Attendees, Apple Computer, Silver, Internet Technology, Internet,