|Page (1) of 1 - 06/04/12||email article||print page|
Latest HP ProLiant Gen8 Servers Integrate New AMD Opteron(TM) Processors for High-Performance SystemsAMD Cranks Up World's Best Price/Performance x86 Server Processor(1) (June 04, 2012)
SUNNYVALE, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 06/04/12 -- Today AMD (NYSE: AMD) announced 11 servers from its customers, including two based on the new HP ProLiant Gen8 platform, will be integrating previously unannounced versions of the award-winning high-performance AMD Opteron 6200 Series processor and the low-power AMD Opteron 4200 Series processor. These servers are based on five new AMD Opteron processors that offer increased performance without an increase in power consumption, providing customers more choice in using the world's best price/performance x86 server processor(1).
Last month, HP launched two HP ProLiant Gen8 servers using the new AMD Opteron processors and plans to refresh the ProLiant DL585 G7 and the BL685c G7 later this year. Moreover, Dell is also expected to refresh its AMD offering with the latest AMD Opteron processors in the PowerEdge C6145, C6105, R415, R515, R715, R815 and the M915.
The new HP ProLiant Gen8 servers utilize the latest AMD Opteron 6200 Series processors to help drive better performance and scalability for virtualization, HPC and database workloads. Combining the additional clock speed of the new AMD Opteron processors with the new HP ProLiant Gen8 features, allows for increased performance, simplified maintenance and improved data center uptime. New models include:
- HP ProLiant Gen8 DL385p, a 2U performance-based rack server designed for virtualization, database and high performance computing workloads;
- HP ProLiant Gen8 BL465c, the first server blade with 2,000 cores per rack for virtualization, database and high-performance workloads.
The AMD Opteron processor family has seen significant momentum since its new "Bulldozer" core-based families of server CPUs were launched in November 2011. This includes multiple major customer wins featuring a supercomputer deployment with the National Science Foundation's Blue Waters project, Canada's TELUS, which launched a virtual private cloud; and an upgrade to the "Jaguar" supercomputer at Oak Ridge National Labs.
"Since the launch of our latest AMD Opteron processors based on our 'Bulldozer' core, we have seen steadily increasing demand for our high-end processors," said Lisa Su, senior vice president and general manager, AMD Global Business Units. "The new additions to the AMD Opteron processor family, along with the latest offerings from HP and Dell, further strengthen our ability to offer greater choices to an agile and data-hungry base of enterprise and cloud customers."
The five new processors, available today, tout a 100 MHz performance advantage over their predecessors without any increase in power consumption. These additions underscore AMD's commitment to create a broad portfolio of processor options for its customers, all of which offer superior price/performance. The new processors are:
- AMD Opteron 6200 Series processors:
- AMD Opteron 6284 SE: 16-core 2.7 GHz, 140 watts TDP, $1,265*
- AMD Opteron 6278: 16-core 2.4 GHz, 115 watts TDP, $989*
- AMD Opteron 4200 Series processors:
- AMD Opteron 4276 HE: 8-core 2.6 GHz, 65 watts TDP, $455*
- AMD Opteron 4240: 6-core 3.4 GHz, 95 watts TDP, $316*
- AMD Opteron 4230: 6-core 2.9 GHz, 65 watts TDP, $377*
More information on the AMD Opteron family can be found at amd.com.
AMD (NYSE: AMD) is a semiconductor design innovator leading the next era of vivid digital experiences with its ground-breaking AMD Accelerated Processing Units (APUs) that power a wide range of computing devices. AMD's server computing products are focused on driving industry-leading cloud computing and virtualization environments. AMD's superior graphics technologies are found in a variety of solutions ranging from game consoles, PCs to supercomputers. For more information, visit http://www.amd.com.
AMD, the AMD Arrow logo, AMD Opteron, and combinations thereof, are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Other names are for informational purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners.
*AMD Opteron processor pricing can be found at http://www.amd.com/us/products/pricing/Pages/server-opteron.aspx
(1) SPEC and SPECint are registered trademarks of the Standard Performance Evaluation Corporation. The results stated above reflect SPECint_rate2006 results published on http://www.spec.org/cpu2006/results/ as of 1/23/12. The performance component of the comparison is based on the best performing two-socket servers using AMD Opteron processors and Intel Xeon processors, operating at each processor's default frequency. Intel Xeon X5690 (435): HP ProLiant DL380 G7 (3.46 GHz, Intel Xeon X5690), 48 GB (12 x 4 GB 2Rx4 PC3-10600R-9, ECC), Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.1, Kernel 2.6.32-131.0.15.el6.x86_64, C/C++: Version 126.96.36.199 of Intel Compiler XE Build 20110803, http://www.spec.org/cpu2006/results/res2011q4/cpu2006-20111121-18997.html. AMD Opteron 6282 SE (543): ASUS KGPE-D16 server motherboard (2.6 GHz AMD Opteron 6282 SE), 128 GB (16 x 8 GB 2Rx4 PC3-12800R-11, ECC), Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.1, Kernel 2.6.32-131.0.15.el6.x86_64, C/C++: Version 188.8.131.52 of x86 Open64 Compiler Suite (from AMD), http://www.spec.org/cpu2006/results/res2011q4/cpu2006-20111024-18714.html. The price component of the comparison is based on similarly configured HP servers with the processors from the performance comparison. HP DL380 G7 (2P), $7544, pricing as of 1/23/12 on www.hp.com. HP ProLiant DL380 G7 with 2 x Intel Xeon processor Model X5690, 32GB memory, 1x72GB 15K HDD ($289), DVD, and 3yr base warranty. HP DL385 G7 (2P), $5441, pricing as of 2/10/12 on www.hp.com. HP ProLiant with 2 x AMD Opteron processor Model 6282 SE, 32GB memory, 1x72GB 15K HDD ($289), and 3yr base warranty. SVR-118
AMD Public Relations
Copyright @ Marketwire
Related Keywords: AMD, CPU, Bulldozer, Zambezi, FX, Scorpius, Desktop, Processors, Chipsets, Overclocking, Database, Cloud Computing, Other, Unix, Linux, Marketwire, Inc., HP, Game Technology, Business, Science, Family, Other,