|Page (1) of 1 - 05/04/10||email article||print page|
JustAskGemalto.com Releases "JAG Walking" Video Highlighting SXSW AttendeesInterviews of SXSWi Conference Participants Answering the Question: "What Is Digital Security?" (May 04, 2010)
AUSTIN, TX -- (Marketwire) -- 05/04/10 -- There is a great deal of talk about securing identities from theft online and managing pertinent digital information such as email passwords, online banking information, and social networking privacy. In theory, people seem to believe they are well versed on the methods to freely, securely and conveniently enjoy their time spent online. However, in practice, the mechanisms to ensure security while using the web are often disregarded when searching online.
While participating in the SXSWi Conference this March, JustAskGemalto took to the streets to poll conference goers on their knowledge around digital security. These ad hoc interviews were captured and compiled to demonstrate the importance and need for education around online security. According to Symantec's most recent Internet Security Threat Report, "60 percent of identities exposed were compromised by hacking attacks in 2009." Consequently, over 70 percent of those interviewed at SXSWi by JustAskGemalto were unaware or had an inaccurate definition of digital security.
We want to know your definition of digital security. Tell us your definition on our Facebook page or in response on our Twitter handle, @JustAskGemalto. The winning response will be selected based on best content and will be rewarded an Amazon Kindle.
Details of JustAskGemalto's JAG Walking Segments
- More than 50 people were interviewed ranging in age from 16 to 75
- Over 40 people admittedly had no definition or were confused and unsure of the definition of digital security
- Relevant SXSWi panels dedicated to digital security and identity theft included:
- Banking 2.0: Financial Services Driven by People & Emerging Technologies
- Crime Scene: Digital Identity Theft
- The Future of the Digital Living Room
- JustAskGemalto's JAG Walking video can be viewed on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnUGZzkTF6I
Quotes from Interviewees
- "[Digital security] is protecting the hardware, protecting your laptop/computer, making sure you don't get any viruses or spyware and also protecting your identity online"
- "[Digital security] is defending your property from intrusion or manipulation from a malicious outside source and also educating users of networks"
- "[Digital security] is the ability to navigate about the web without fear that your data is going to be taken in any way, whether its personally or professionally"
- "[Digital security] is anything that impedes my normal web access, which would involve anything from hijacking my computer to swiping bank accounts and any other financial information"
- "Attack of the Opt-in Botnets" - ZDNet, Dancho Danchev
- "Mass hack attack or a Gmail bug?" - SecureList, Tatyana Nikitina
- "How you can fight Internet fraud" - Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Teresa McUsic
- "Cloud and social media lead to security risks" - TechWorld, Maxwell Cooter
We use electronic devices on a frequent, if not daily basis -- our PC or Mac, BlackBerry, iPhone, cell phone, epassport, credit card, and employee badge. They bring us freedom and convenience and we depend on these devices to carry and exchange our personal information. Along with this freedom comes the responsibility to safeguard our identity, personal data and financial transactions. www.JustAskGemalto.com answers consumer questions about how to better enjoy the conveniences of the digital world and how to secure one's digital identity and information while surfing, buying, traveling and communicating.
Copyright @ Marketwire
Related Keywords: Digital security, cyber security, internet, technology, Computers/Peripherals, Internet, Computer, Communications, Digital Audio, Web, Cell phone, PDA, iPods, iphone, Security, Video, Education, Security, Networking, Internet, Hardware, Security, Social Media, Mac, OS9, OSX, Marketwire, Apple Computer, Financial, Communications Technology, Internet Technology, Internet, Other,