|Page (1) of 1 - 02/26/10||email article||print page|
JustAskGemalto.com Releases Digital Security Interview Discussing Precautions to Managing a Safe Online IdentityWCBS Newsradio's Dishin Digital Expert Video Available on JustAskGemalto's YouTube Channel (February 26, 2010)
AUSTIN, TX -- (Marketwire) -- 02/26/10 -- According to Rob Hawley, producer of the nationally syndicated technology radio show Dishin Digital, "it is all about [digital security] awareness." If precautions are taken by companies to educate their employees, who are also consumers, the risk of cyber crime can decrease over time.
This message is continuing to be pushed by cyber security experts to businesses and consumers regarding the necessity of education around online safety. Computer Weekly reports that organizations make the mistake of discussing digital security in a one-day training session and then fail to mention it again. There is a need for all businesses to make changes to their cyber security efforts to educate employees on digital security inside and outside the work place.
A survey conducted in January 2010 by Symantec found that 100% of businesses surveyed regarding Internet security had been hit by a cyber loss last year. Out of these 2,100 businesses and government agencies, every single business had suffered a cyber loss in the preceding 12 months, which could have been anything from customer credit card or financial data theft to theft of intellectual property.
Hawley's interview with JustAskGemalto provides an assortment of digital security tips for consumers that can be used within both work and personal online settings.
Details of JustAskGemalto's interview with Rob Hawley
- Hawley discusses precautions consumers can take to stay safe while traveling and connecting to untrustworthy Wi-Fi networks.
- The interview provides steps to ensure a secure Web browser address when entering credit card information to avoid spoofed Web sites and phishing attacks.
- Hawley offers tips on how consumers can know if Web address shorteners such as Tiny URL are secure before clicking on them.
- Predictions on the increased awareness of cyber security and reform are included in Hawley's conversation.
- Hawley's Digital Security Expert Audio Interview can be viewed at www.youtube.com/justaskgemalto.
Quotes from WCBS Newsradio's Dishin Digital, Rob Hawley
- "If you really need to go on the Internet at these [hotspots], do your best to not send or receive valuable information."
- "The title, the address, will start out with https://; extra secure. And a lot of Web browsers will include a little pad lock at the bottom."
- "[Consumers] can do things like turn off file sharing and make sure that you have a good firewall and a good anti-virus package in place at all times," [when connecting to Wi-Fi hotspots].
- "If every computer out there were protected against cyber attack by doing things like keeping your operating system up to date, having a good firewall in place and up to date, having a good anti-virus and anti-malware software in place, running and up to date; If everybody did all of that, then I think we would take a good chunk out of cyber crime because then, everyone is protecting themselves and we're also protecting each other because the computers would be sealed against some things like being used in distributing 'denial of service' attacks."
- Microsoft Battles Cyber Criminals - Wall Street Journal, Ben Worthen
- Cyber crime gains mobility with Wi-Fi - Sydney Morning Herald, Garry Barker
- For better e-security, have at least 3 passwords - Consumer Reports
- Twitter Phishing Plus: Social Media Attacks on Rise - eCreditDaily
We use electronic devices on a frequent, if not daily basis -- our PC or Mac, BlackBerry, iPhone, cell phone, epassport, credit card, and employee badge. They bring us freedom and convenience and we depend on these devices to carry and exchange our personal information. Along with this freedom comes the responsibility to safeguard our identity, personal data and financial transactions. www.JustAskGemalto.com answers consumer questions about how to better enjoy the conveniences of the digital world and how to secure one's digital identity and information while surfing, buying, traveling and communicating.
Youtube Video Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=1185753
Montner & Associates for JustAskGemalto
Copyright @ Marketwire
Related Keywords: Digital security, cybersecurity, wireless hotspots, WIFI, phishing, firewall, anti-virus , Computers/Peripherals,Internet,Computer,OS (Operating System),WiFi/Wireless,Digital Media Software,Communications,WiFi,Digital Audio,Web,Cell phone,PDA,iPods,iphone,Security,Training,Video,browser,Mac,OS9,OSX,Marketwire,Apple Computer,Financial,Wall Street,Communications Technology,Internet Technology,Business,Internet,Outdoor Sports,Browsers,Internet Security,Other,