" />
Blogs: Page (1) of 1 - 11/29/07 Email this story to a friend. email article Print this page (Article printing at MyDmn.com).print page facebook

Integrated delivery - DivX and Stage6

  By digitalbasin
Online Video hosting and Video on Demand websites have become the mediascape hallmark of the decade. Lauded on a range of levels from a 'democratization' of content delivery away from centralized broadcasters, to a paradigm shift in aesthetic expectations, and even as the medium to kill and replace TV.

Of course the centre piece (by popularity if nothing else) is YouTube attracting some 60% of online video viewers. But whilst the menagerie of YouTube alternatives for the moment duke it out over the remaining 40% there is a compelling argument to suggest that YouTube's days are numbered. Maintaining their massive market dominance is hard enough but what is also taking place is the inevitable aesthetic shift in viewer expectations.

YouTube cultivated a very particular visual aesthetic built off the lo-fi punk culture of mobile phone cameras and a DIY ethos. YouTube's great success was the invocation of pixelation and poor quality as assets rather than drawbacks. The YouTube 'look' quickly became the embodiment of 'truth' and 'actuality'. Even advertising started using the YouTube paradigm as an aesthetic choice for traditional TV broadcast.

Click here if your browser is not automatically redirected within 3 seconds..

Page: 1

Related Keywords:

Content-type: text/html  Rss  Add to Google Reader or
Homepage    Add to My AOL  Add to Excite MIX  Subscribe in
NewsGator Online 
Real-Time - what users are saying - Right Now!

Our Privacy Policy --- @ Copyright, 2015 Digital Media Online, All Rights Reserved