|Page (1) of 1 - 05/31/05||email article||print page|
Infortrend Ships Two New Fibre Channel RAID ArraysHigh density, enterprise-class subsystems improve performance, usability (May 31, 2005)
RAID storage expert Infortrend announced today that it has added two new redundant controller, Fibre Channel (FC) host systems to its line of EonStor RAID subsystems. Based on its high performance, fourth-generation RAID engine, these 3U, rackmount, sixteen-bay storage enclosures support SATA II and FC drives. The ES F16F-R2021 FC-to-FC array will be demonstrated at the companys booth at COMPUTEX TAIPEI this week.
These latest subsystems boast upgraded performance by utilizing the enhanced IBM PowerPC 750FX-600 as well as Infortrends own proprietary ASIC266, effectively doubling performance compared to the previous controller design. The EonStor A16F-R2221 Fibre-to SATA subsystem reaches sustained reads up to 697MB per second (MBps) and sustained writes up to 386MBps. The system takes advantage of SATA II technology enhancements such as 3Gbps (Gigabit per second) transfer rates, Native Command Queuing for transaction-oriented applications, and Hot Plug capability. The ES F16F-R2021 Fibre-to-Fibre subsystem reaches sustained reads up to 730MBps and sustained writes up to 487MBps.
?Enterprise IT managers must balance the demand for increased system performance with the need to stay within a budget, commented Scott Wu, senior director of Asia Pacific sales for Infortrend. ?With these new 16-bay Fibre Channel systems, Infortrend has once again combined high-end performance, such as an embedded hub and redundant communication channels, into reasonably priced storage solutions that successfully meet and exceed those requirements.
New EonStor 3U ASIC266 Array Highlights
* Separate I/O boards provide highest level of redundancy
* Independent host I/O modules with embedded hub - Daisy chain or cluster RAID arrays without a FC switch
* Sixteen hot-swappable drive trays
* Three single-fan, hot-swappable cooling modules - Dual-speed fan for quieter operation and reduced energy consumption
* Li-ION battery backup is hot swappable without removing the controller
* Enhanced modular, cable-free chassis increases strength, lowers vibration resonance
Infortrend Smart Technologies
Derived from more than ten years of experience in RAID storage design, Infortrends subsystems are based on their own proprietary firmware codes that help safeguard disk array storage and provide a clearly defined, high performance standard in terms of maximum protection against failures and fast I/O transmission speeds. These intelligent firmware functional groups are designed to strike a balance between system performance and data availability.
* IOSmart: Consists of specific functions and configuration options that control various I/O characteristics including adaptable stripe size, adaptive write policy, optimization modes, Guaranteed Latency I/O, and automatically adjusted, multi-threaded, predictive read-ahead, sorted, or grouped writes.
* DrvSmart: Ensures data integrity when conditions related to hard drive imperfections occur. Corrects minor defects, increases reaction time, allows more time to prepare a rebuild, and reduces performance impact. Functions include Media Scan, Task Scheduler, hot-spare, drive roaming, SMART and manual cloning options, and more.
* SysSmart: Smartly manages and guards EonStor subsystems against extreme operating conditions to minimize downtime caused by hardware failures. Event-triggered functions include automatic data protection mechanisms, dual-speed fan control, and various monitoring utilities combined with Infortrends RAIDWatch Manager software.
New 3U EonStor Models and Availability
These new 3U RAID subsystems are now shipping through Infortrends worldwide network of OEMs, distributors and storage integrators:
? EonStor F16F-R2021: 16-bay, dual controllers, 2Gb Fibre host to Fibre drive subsystem
? EonStor A16F-R2221: 16-bay, dual controllers, 2Gb Fibre host to SATA II drive subsystem
Focused on RAID storage technology since its founding in 1992, Infortrend designs, manufactures and markets cross-platform, high performance RAID storage solutions. The company specializes in firmware, driver, ASIC design and development of RAID controllers and subsystems that are storage area network (SAN) ready, and support Fibre Channel, SCSI, and SATA interfaces. Designed to be flexible, cost-effective and feature-rich, Infortrend products are available through a worldwide network of OEMs, distributors, and storage integrators for high availability storage applications.
Infortrend is traded on the Taiwan Stock Exchange (Taiex), ticker number 2495 and is on the web at www.infortrend.com.
Related Keywords:Infortrend, Fibre Channel, RAID, storage, EonStor, SATA II, ES F16F-R2021, A16F-R2221,