|Page (1) of 1 - 11/11/10||email article||print page|
Infonetics Research: iPad boosts mobile broadband device market; smartphones overtaking mobile phones(November 11, 2010)
CAMPBELL, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 11/11/10 -- Market research firm Infonetics Research (http://twitter.com/infonetics) today published excerpts from 2 market size, vendor market share, and forecast reports: 2G/3G Mobile, LTE, and WiFi Phones and Subscribers and 2G/3G and LTE Mobile Broadband Devices and Subscribers.
"The current mobile broadband device and phones market is increasingly driven by embedded devices and smartphones, with injections of growth coming from new touch screen form factors such as the tablet, notably the Apple iPad, and e-readers like the Amazon Kindle. The fierce competition between smartphone operating systems is also pushing the market, with Android and Windows 7 devices showing a strong response to the popularity of the iPhone. As LTE rolls out, these trends will continue, with device competition intensifying around embedded devices and high-end ultra-smartphones," predicts Richard Webb, directing analyst for mobile devices at Infonetics.
2G/3G AND LTE MOBILE BROADBAND DEVICES AND SUBSCRIBERS
- Mobile broadband card sales are expected to grow 21% in 2010 over 2009, driven by the emerging tablet segment (namely the iPad) and continued adoption of HSPA mobile broadband cards
- Infonetics forecasts the mobile broadband card market, including PC and embedded cards that enable broadband access via W-CDMA/HSPA, CDMA2000/EV-DO, TD-SCDMA, and LTE mobile networks, to reach $20 billion by 2014
- The number of mobile broadband subscribers is expected to hit 1.8 billion by 2014
- LTE will be predominantly PC-based (laptops, netbooks, dongles, etc.) for at least the first 5 years of deployment, with a small range of LTE smartphones hitting the market in 2011, limiting 'phone-based' subscribers to a very small minority
- An LTE iPhone could rapidly change this forecast
SELECT HIGHLIGHTS: 2G/3G MOBILE, LTE, AND WiFi PHONES AND SUBSCRIBERS
- Smartphone revenue grew to 46% of global mobile phone sales in the second quarter of 2010, driven by the popularity of Apple's iPhone and Android and Windows Mobile 7 handsets
- The number of mobile subscribers is forecast by Infonetics to hit 6.5 billion by 2014
- By the end of 2010, Infonetics expects 1.2 billion standard mobile phones and 3G smartphones will have been sold worldwide
- Nokia maintained clear leadership in the mobile phone market in the first half of 2010, although its market share continued to fall, slipping to about a quarter of the global market
ABOUT THE REPORTS
Infonetics' biannual 2G/3G Mobile, LTE, and WiFi Phones and Subscribers market size, market share, and forecast report tracks 3G and LTE smartphones, standard mobile phones (GSM, W-CDMA, CDMA, CDMA2000), dual mode cellular/WiFi phones, enterprise single-mode WiFi phones, and mobile subscribers. Companies tracked include Apple, Cisco, D-Link, HTC, Huawei, LG, Motorola, Nokia, Polycom, RIM, Samsung, Sony-Ericsson, Vocera, ZTE and others. Smartphone operating systems tracked include Android, BlackBerry, iPhone, Linux, Palm, Symbian and Windows Mobile.
Infonetics' quarterly 2G/3G and LTE Mobile Broadband Devices and Subscribers market size, market share, and forecasts report tracks W-CDMA/HSPA, CDMA2000/EV-DO, TD-SCDMA, and LTE mobile broadband PC cards, embedded mobile broadband cards (PC, netbook, handheld mobile Internet device), and phone- and PC-based mobile broadband subscribers. The report also tracks mobile broadband routers and netbooks by operating system (Windows, Mac, Linux, other). Companies tracked include Acer, Asus, D-Link, Dell, HP, Huawei, Kyocera, Lenovo, LG, Motorola, NETGEAR, Novatel, Option, Samsung, Sierra Wireless, SonicWALL, Sony Ericsson, Toshiba, ZTE, and others.
- LTE infrastructure forecasts up, along with operator commitments to LTE networks
- Embedded mobile M2M modem market on track to more than triple in 2010
- China, India spending freeze dulls mobile infrastructure market; ALU, NSN gain on Ericsson
- WiMAX carrier survey shows strong interest in WiMAX for mobility services and VoIP
- Mobile broadband service revenue to more than double by 2014
- Mobile broadband card sales up to $1.55 billion in 1Q10, driven by HSPA adoption
- 4G survey shows majority of operators will deploy HSPA+ before LTE
RECENT AND UPCOMING MOBILE AND WIRELESS RESEARCH
See MOBILE AND WIRELESS on Infonetics' portal (http://www.infonetics.com/login) for more:
- Femtocell Vendor Leadership and Service Plans: Global Service Provider Survey
- Small Cell Deployment Strategies: Global Service Provider Survey
- 2G/3G Mobile Infrastructure and Subscribers
- 2G/3G and LTE Mobile Broadband Devices and Subscribers
- Mobile Services and Subscribers: Voice, SMS/MMS, and Broadband
- Residential Voice, Video, and Data Services: North America
- Infonetics' new 2011 market research lineup
- Larry Howard, Vice President: [email protected], +1-408-583-3335
- Scott Coyne, Senior Account Director: [email protected], +1-408-583-3395
Infonetics Research is an international market research and consulting firm serving the communications industry since 1990. A leader in defining and tracking emerging and established technologies in all world regions, Infonetics helps clients plan, strategize, and compete more effectively.
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=1421141
Copyright @ Marketwire
Related Keywords: 3G phone forecast, Mobile phone forecast, LTE phone forecast, WiFi Phone forecast, mobile Subscribers, Computers/Peripherals,Internet,Notebook/Laptop,OS (Operating System),WiFi/Wireless,Modem,Tablets,Handheld,Broadband,Communications,WiFi,Digital Audio,Web,Smart Phone,PDA,WiFi Routers,iPods,iphone,iPad,Research,Video,Sales,Sales & Marketing,Computer Technology,Internet,Business Issues,Mobile Devices,Handheld,Blackberry,Smartphone,Sales,Sales,Internet/Web,Internet,Broadband,OS (Operating System),Unix,Mac,Linux,OS9,OSX,India,Marketwire,Sony,HP,Apple Computer,Communications Technology,Internet Technology,Computer Science,Internet,india,