|Page (1) of 1 - 07/15/10||email article||print page|
Infonetics Research: Mobile broadband card sales up to $1.55 billion in 1Q10, driven by HSPA adoption(July 15, 2010)
LONDON -- (Marketwire) -- 07/15/10 -- Market research firm Infonetics Research released excerpts from its first quarter (1Q10) 2G/3G and LTE Mobile Broadband Devices and Subscribers report, published in June, which tracks W-CDMA/HSPA, CDMA2000/EV-DO, TD-SCDMA, and LTE mobile broadband cards, devices, routers, and netbooks.
"Embedded mobile devices now account for a third of the mobile broadband devices market; the trend for mobile broadband connectivity embedded within consumer devices will continue apace, moving beyond PC-based devices to multiple new form factors," notes Richard Webb, Infonetics Research's directing analyst for mobile devices.
MOBILE BROADBAND DEVICE MARKET HIGHLIGHTS
- Revenue from mobile broadband cards (standard PC cards and embedded cards) grew 6% in 1Q10 over 4Q09 to $1.55 billion worldwide
- Strong growth is expected in mobile broadband card revenue and unit shipments in 2010, driven in large part by increasing adoption of HSPA (High Speed Packet Access)
- LTE-based mobile broadband embedded PC card sales are forecast to top US$3.8 billion in 2014
- Shipments of mobile routers jumped 59% in 1Q10 over 4Q09 as mobile operators see them as a means of offloading mobile data traffic onto WiFi and are actively promoting them
- While this market is somewhat uncertain, it may continue to grow now that that these mobile (or 'hotspot') routers are smaller and more easily portable for vacations, work-related travel, in-vehicles, etc., appealing to a broader audience
- Huawei, Sony Ericsson and ZTE are the top 3 mobile broadband card revenue market share leaders in 1Q10
- The number of mobile broadband subscribers surpassed DSL subscribers for the first time in 2009, and is forecast by Infonetics Research to grow to 1.8 billion worldwide in 2014
Infonetics' quarterly 2G/3G and LTE Mobile Broadband Devices and Subscribers report provides worldwide and regional market size, vendor market share, analysis, and forecasts through 2014 for W-CDMA/HSPA, CDMA2000/EV-DO, TD-SCDMA, and Long Term Evolution (LTE) mobile broadband PC cards, embedded mobile broadband cards by device (PC, netbook, handheld mobile Internet device), and phone- and PC-based mobile broadband subscribers. The report also tracks mobile broadband routers and netbooks by operating system (Windows, Mac, Linux, other).
Companies tracked include Acer, Asus, D-Link, Dell, HP, Huawei, Kyocera, Lenovo, LG, Motorola, NETGEAR, Novatel, Option, Samsung, Sierra Wireless, SonicWALL, Sony Ericsson, Toshiba, ZTE, and others.
- Mobile broadband service revenue to more than double by 2014
- 4G survey shows majority of operators will deploy HSPA+ before LTE
- WiMAX equipment/device market down in Q1; 2010 prospects solid despite Yota defection
- Brutal first quarter for the mobile infrastructure market
- LTE market accelerating, forecast to top $11 billion by 2014
- WiMAX carriers rate Alvarion, Alcatel-Lucent, Motorola top, with Cisco, Huawei close behind
- 2G/3G Mobile, LTE, and WiFi Phones and Subscribers
- Total 2G/3G Mobile, LTE, and WiMAX Infrastructure Pivot
- Total 2G/3G Mobile, LTE, and WiMAX Devices and Phones Pivot
UPCOMING MOBILE AND WIRELESS RESEARCH
See MOBILE AND WIRELESS on Infonetics' portal (http://www.infonetics.com/login), or follow the links for additional information:
- WiMAX Services Strategies: Service Provider Survey (July 14)
- WiMAX Equipment and Subscribers in Key Markets (July 22)
- LTE Deployment Strategies: Service Provider Survey (Oct. 5)
- Larry Howard, Vice President: firstname.lastname@example.org, +1-408-583-3335
- Scott Coyne, Senior Account Director: email@example.com, +1-408-583-3395
Infonetics Research is an international market research and consulting firm serving the communications industry since 1990. A leader in defining and tracking emerging and established technologies in all world regions, Infonetics helps clients plan, strategize, and compete more effectively.
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=1308869
Copyright @ Marketwire
Related Keywords: mobile broadband devices market, mobile broadband cards, lte, mobile broadband subscribers, Unix, Mac, Linux, OS9, OSX, Marketwire, Sony, HP, Communications Technology, Internet Technology, Biology, Internet,