|Page (1) of 1 - 10/17/11||email article||print page|
Infonetics Research: Mobile VoIP subscribers will near 410 million by 2015; VoLTE still a long way off(October 17, 2011)
CAMPBELL, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 10/17/11 -- Market research firm Infonetics Research today released excerpts from its new Mobile VoIP Services and Subscribers report, which tracks native mobile voice over IP (a.k.a. voice over Long Term Evolution, or VoLTE) and over-the-top (OTT) mVoIP service revenue, subscribers, and deployments by world region.
"The adoption of over-the-top (OTT) mobile VoIP services is growing rapidly but it is not without challenges. With free applications and extremely low revenue from users, it is tricky for application providers without the deep pockets of larger companies like Google, Microsoft, and Telefónica to have a sustainable long-term business model. Despite the fact that we expect mobile VoIP subscribers to grow nearly 10-fold from 2010 to 2015, there is relatively little money to be made from it in the near term," poses Diane Myers, directing analyst for VoIP and IMS at Infonetics Research.
Co-author of the report Stéphane Téral, Infonetics Research's principal analyst for mobile infrastructure, adds: "As LTE becomes the universal mobile infrastructure, TDM voice -- which is a $500 billion-a-year business -- will migrate to VoLTE (native mobile VoIP). In the near term, though, two key challenges need to be addressed: the world needs widely available LTE handsets that support VoLTE -- and we're nowhere near that stage -- and Single Radio Voice Call Continuity (SRVCC) needs to be finalized so that voice calls work seamlessly between LTE and legacy networks. Make no mistake: VoLTE is the future; it will just take many years to get there."
MOBILE VOIP MARKET HIGHLIGHTS
- OTT providers, led by frontrunner Skype, dominate the worldwide mobile VoIP services market
- Infonetics Research forecasts the number of mobile VoIP subscribers to grow from 47 million in 2010 to almost 410 million by 2015, driven by increased smartphone and mobile broadband adoption
- Native mobile VoIP will launch with Verizon's VoLTE service in 2012, but will remain an extremely small portion of the total mobile VoIP market until there is full LTE coverage around the world, not likely until around 2020
- In 2010, operators made on average only $13.21 per user per year from mobile VoIP services, demonstrating how little revenue there is to be made from OTT mVoIP services
Infonetics' new Mobile VoIP report features a Mobile VoIP Deployment Tracker highlighting over-the-top mVoIP deployments by platform availability and VoLTE deployments by start date. The report provides worldwide and regional market size, forecasts, and analysis of OTT and native mobile VoIP (VoLTE) services and subscribers. OTT mVoIP providers currently tracked include Altphone, Barablu, EQO, Fring, Google Voice, JahJah, Jaxtr, Line2, Mo Call, mobiVoIP, Nimbuzz, OctroTalk, Rebtel, Skype, Talkonaut, Telfree, ThruTu, Tivi, Toolani, Truphone, Viber, Vopium, WingBee, and others.
- Larry Howard - VP, Western NA, Asia, CALA: [email protected] +1-408-583-3335
- Scott Coyne - Eastern NA, Texas, Midwest: [email protected] +1-408-583-3395
- George Stojsavljevic - Account Director, EMEA: [email protected] +44-755-488-1623
- Takashi Kimura - TAK Analytics, Japan: [email protected] +81-3-6408-5566
RELATED MARKET RESEARCH
- Infonetics ups VoIP services forecast to $76B in 2015, driven by SIP trunking, hosted business VoIP
- Tablet sales jump 80% in 2Q11; Apple increases smartphone share, HTC, Samsung gain
- 2G, 3G, 4G mobile gear up 25% year-over-year, up 5% in 2Q11; LTE surpasses WiMAX
- LTE survey shows 3/4 of operators deploy HSPA+ before LTE; no rush to offer VoLTE
- BT, TDC, Vodafone among top hosted business VoIP services leaders in EMEA
- Verizon and New Global Telecom top business VoIP services leaders
UPCOMING MARKET RESEARCH
Download prospectuses, tables of contents, highlights, etc. at http://www.infonetics.com/login (see SERVICE PROVIDER VOIP AND IMS or MOBILE AND WIRELESS for 2011 and new 2012 services).
- Small Cell Deployment Strategies: Global Service Provider Survey (Nov. 2)
- Embedded Mobile M2M Modems Market Size and Forecasts (Nov. 3)
- SBC Deployment Strategies: Global Service Provider Survey (Nov. 4)
- Service Provider VoIP Equipment and Subscribers (Nov. 23)
- IMS Equipment and Subscribers (Nov. 29)
- 2G/3G/4G (LTE and WiMAX) Infrastructure and Subscribers (Nov. 29)
- Total Service Provider VoIP and IMS Equipment and Subscribers Pivot (Dec. 8)
- 2G/3G/4G (LTE and WiMAX) Broadband Devices and Subscribers (Dec. 9)
- 2G/3G/4G (LTE) Services and Subscribers: Voice, SMS/MMS, Broadband (Dec. 15)
Infonetics Research is an international market research and consulting firm serving the communications industry since 1990. A leader in defining and tracking emerging and established technologies in all world regions, Infonetics helps clients plan, strategize, and compete more effectively.
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=1767930
Copyright @ Marketwire
Related Keywords: mobile voip subscribers, mobile voip forecast, mobile voip market size, mobile voip market share, google, Communications, Web, Smart Phone, Search, Applications, Research, Google, Office Equipment, Sales, Applications, Sales & Marketing, Internet, Business Issues, Internet Server Applications, Sales, Sales, Business, PDA/Smartphone, Marketwire, , Biology, Business,