|Page (1) of 1 - 04/22/10||email article||print page|
Infonetics Research: Femtocell market up 154%; Apple overtakes Nokia in fixed-mobile convergence phones(April 22, 2010)
CAMPBELL, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 04/22/10 -- Market research firm Infonetics Research (www.twitter.com/infonetics) released the first edition of its biannual 2010 FMC and Femtocell Equipment, Phones, and Subscribers report, which provides market size, market share, analysis, and forecasts for fixed-mobile convergence network elements and femtocells.
"2009 was heralded by many as 'the year of the femtocell.' In short, it wasn't. Progress was made, though: the Iu-h interface was established, the Femto Forum initiated an interoperability test (IOT) program, femtocell prices came down, and most major mobile operators were engaged in some sort of trial. Femtocell adoption will remain modest in 2010, and then in 2011-2012 we expect the femtocell segment to begin to prove itself, and in so doing, drive the rest of the FMC market," predicts Richard Webb, directing analyst for WiMAX, microwave, and mobile devices at Infonetics Research and co-author of the report.
Stephane Teral, principal analyst for mobile and FMC infrastructure at Infonetics Research and co-author of the report, adds: "Universal mobile access and voice call continuity are essentially dead. UMA is morphing into an app and the GSMA endorsement of the OneVoice initiative, quickly renamed VoLTE (voice over Long Term Evolution), sealed VCC's fate and declared IMS the long-term universal voice service delivery platform."
FMC AND FEMTOCELL MARKET HIGHLIGHTS
- Combined, sales of FMC network elements and femtocells are forecast to grow at a rapid 86% compound annual growth rate (CAGR) from 2009 to 2014
- Worldwide revenue from 2G and 3G femtocells sold for use in GSM/GPRS, CDMA, W-CDMA/HSPA and CDMA2000/EV-DO networks increased 154% in 2009 over 2008, from a small base
- The number of femtocells sold is expected to pick up significantly next year, topping 2.5 million in 2011
- AT&T, China Unicom, CSL, Network Norway, Optimus, SFR, Sprint, StarHub, Verizon and Vodafone have launched commercial femtocell services, while the majority of 3G operators are expected to postpone femtocell launches until late 2010 or 2011
- The need for mobile data off-load will drive strong growth in the FMC security gateway segment starting in 2010, with manufacturer revenue more than doubling between 2010 and 2011
- The rise to power of the iPhone propelled Apple into first place in the massive dual-mode cellular/WiFi phone market in the fourth quarter of 2009, pushing Nokia out of the leadership position for the first time
- Revenue from seamless FMC phones with embedded IMS technology and dual-mode WiFi and cellular functionality grew 51% in 2009 over 2008
- The number of worldwide seamless FMC subscribers is forecast to top 64 million by 2014, with IMS-based FMC subscribers increasing and UMA-based subscribers decreasing
Infonetics' FMC and femtocell report provides worldwide and regional market size, select market share, in-depth analysis, and forecasts through 2014 for 2G and 3G standalone and broadband gateway femtocells, E-UTRAN femtocells for LTE (enhanced NodeBs), UMA network controllers (UNCs), femtocell radio network controllers (RNCs), security gateways, voice call continuity (VCC) application servers, dual mode cellular/WiFi phones (including dual service phones and UMA and IMS seamless FMC phones), and UMA- and IMS-based seamless FMC subscribers.
Companies tracked include Alcatel-Lucent, Apple, Ericsson, HTC, IntelliNet (Azaire), Kineto Wireless, LG, Motorola, NEC, Nokia, Nortel, Panasonic, RIM, Sagem, Samsung, Sony Ericsson, Toshiba, ZTE, and others.
- For service providers upgrading to 4G networks, backhaul is top challenge (view highlights)
- FMC 2.0: Global Service Provider Survey (view table of contents)
- Femtocell Strategies: Global Service Provider Survey (view table of contents)
- Larry Howard, Vice President: firstname.lastname@example.org, +1 (408) 583-3335
- Scott Coyne, Senior Account Director, Eastern North America, Europe, Middle East: email@example.com, +1 408.583.3395
Infonetics Research is an international market research and consulting firm serving the communications industry since 1990. A leader in defining and tracking emerging and established technologies in all world regions, Infonetics helps clients plan, strategize, and compete more effectively.
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=1232722
Mobile and FMC Infrastructure
+1 (408) 583-3371
WiMAX, Microwave, and Mobile Devices
+1 (408) 583-3369 or +44 (0) 1689-851-618
Copyright @ Marketwire
Related Keywords:fixed mobile convergence market, fmc network, fmc phones, apple market share, dual mode phone, nokia, Office Equipment, Sales, Phones, Sales & Marketing, Security, Business Issues, Sales, Sales, China, Marketwire, Sony, Panasonic, Apple Computer, Communications Technology, Internet Technology, china,