|Page (1) of 1 - 03/01/12||email article||print page|
Groundbreaking "OnLive Desktop" App Released for Android TabletsOnLive Desktop App Available Immediately in Android Market; Free OnLive Desktop Service Offers Full Microsoft(R) Office and Adobe(R) Reader(R) From the Cloud; OnLive Desktop Plus Brings Gigabit-Speed Accelerated Browsing (March 01, 2012)
PALO ALTO, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 03/01/12 -- OnLive, Inc., the pioneer of instant-action cloud computing, is pleased to announce that its revolutionary OnLive Desktop App is now available for Android® tablets, bringing full Microsoft® Office apps, Adobe® Reader® and, with the OnLive Desktop Plus service, gigabit-speed(1) accelerated browsing regardless of the tablet's local Internet speed and local computing capability. The free OnLive Desktop App, released in the Android Market to select Android tablets(2), delivers no-compromise, media-rich, instant-response Windows® applications including Microsoft® Word, Excel® and PowerPoint® software and Adobe Reader for PDFs, along with 2GB of cloud storage. OnLive Desktop Plus, available for $4.99/month at www.desktop.onlive.com, provides all OnLive Desktop Standard features plus OnLive's gigabit-speed accelerated browsing experience. Already available on iPad® and coming soon to smartphones, PC, Mac®, TVs and monitors, OnLive Desktop delivers instant access to your personal desktop on all devices, so that if you use OnLive Desktop on Android, and then later use it on iPad, you will have the same files and browser Favorites (with OnLive Desktop Plus) on both tablets, with automatically-adjusted screen resolution.
Running remotely on powerful PCs in the cloud that are connected by Gigabit Ethernet to the Internet, OnLive Desktop utilizes OnLive's patented instant-action cloud gaming technology to deliver a seamless PC application and Web experience, instantly responsive to multi-touch gestures, as well as a full PC on-screen keyboard, handwriting recognition and optional Bluetooth® PC-compatible keyboard or mouse.
"Android tablets are a great platform for OnLive Desktop," said Steve Perlman, OnLive Founder and CEO. "With full HD resolution, PC keyboard/mouse support and available 4G LTE, Android tablets deliver an excellent experience with full Microsoft Office and Adobe Reader PC applications, not to mention gigabit-accelerated browsing through OnLive Desktop Plus -- even over 4G LTE."
OnLive Desktop Plus brings the world's fastest browsing experience, whether over Wi-Fi- or 4G LTE-connected Android tablets. Regardless of your local connection speed, even the most complex websites -- including ones that would take minutes to load over your local connection -- load in seconds, instantly delivering fully interactive animation, video and sound. A 50 megabyte file from cloud storage (e.g., Dropbox) or a 15 megabyte attachment from Web email (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo!® Mail, etc.) can literally download or upload in less than a second, resulting in an utterly transformative Web experience. And, despite the astounding speed improvement, OnLive Desktop Plus can dramatically reduce Web browsing data usage, since only the top layer of the currently visible part of a website is ever sent over the local connection. Essentially, OnLive Desktop delivers only what you can see or hear at a given moment, potentially reducing data usage by a factor of 10 or more.
The free OnLive Desktop app is available for select Android tablets and iPad now in the United States. Smartphones, PC, Mac and monitor/TV support (via the OnLive MicroConsole thin client with Bluetooth keyboard/mouse) are coming soon -- with your same OnLive Desktop available by login from any device. Support for the United Kingdom and other countries is coming soon. OnLive Desktop can be accessed anywhere, on any device, at any screen resolution, preserving application and browser files between devices.
Set up your free OnLive Desktop account at www.desktop.onlive.com. OnLive Desktop services include:
- OnLive Desktop Standard, FREE!--Available Now!
- As-available(3) access to OnLive Desktop, with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Reader
- 2 GB of secure cloud storage, appearing as your Documents folder on OnLive Desktop
- OnLive Desktop Plus, $4.99/month -- Available Now!
- All features of OnLive Desktop Standard and...
- Priority access to OnLive Desktop
- Cloud-accelerated Web browser(1), with:
- Lightning-fast transfer of Web mail attachments (e.g., from Gmail, Yahoo! Mail) and cloud storage files (e.g., from Dropbox)
- Full Adobe Flash and Acrobat® PDF plug-ins
- OnLive Desktop Pro, starting at $9.99/month -- Coming Soon!
- All features of OnLive Desktop Plus and...
- 50 GB of secure cloud storage, appearing as your Documents folder on OnLive Desktop
- Ability to customize OnLive Desktop with additional PC applications(4)
- OnLive Enterprise (contact email@example.com for more information)
- IT-managed OnLive Desktops for businesses and organizations
- Available for custom integration by independent software vendors, consultants
OnLive collaborative services -- including live desktop spectating and desktop sharing with voice chat for small groups or thousands of simultaneous users -- are coming soon to OnLive Desktop Pro and OnLive Enterprise.
(1) OnLive Desktop provides cloud-accelerated web browsing with up to gigabit Ethernet speed connections to the Internet for extremely fast, but brief, data transfers. These connections are shared with other OnLive users. Sustained high-speed data transfers that excessively impact these shared connections are not permitted. Please be reasonable. Your Internet usage may be limited by OnLive in its sole discretion.
(2) Currently, the OnLive Desktop app requires at least Android 2.3 and is compatible with the Acer Iconia Tab A500, ASUS Eee TF101, Motorola Xoom, Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 and 10.1, and HTC Jetstream.
(3) While you can always access your OnLive cloud storage, access to your free OnLive Desktop Standard service depends upon availability. OnLive Desktop Plus and Pro provide priority access to OnLive Desktop services.
(4) OnLive will limit PC applications that may be added. Malware or other applications that may compromise security or reliability are not permitted.
Terms and conditions apply. OnLive may, at its sole discretion, limit Internet usage, limit OnLive Desktop usage and limit the applications that can be used with OnLive Desktop. OnLive cannot control when and if 3rd-party app stores and devices will, or continue to, offer OnLive apps and app updates. OnLive is not responsible for lack of availability or limited capabilities of any OnLive service through 3rd-party devices.
See www.desktop.onlive.com for details.
OnLive is the pioneer of on-demand, instant-action cloud computing and instant-play video game services, delivering real-time interactive experiences and rich media through the Internet. With groundbreaking video compression technology, OnLive harnesses cloud computing to provide the power and intelligence needed to instantly deliver full-featured, media-rich applications and the latest, premium game titles to tablets, smartphones, PCs, Macs and HDTVs via the OnLive® Game System or on connected TVs. OnLive is available in North America and the UK and will continue expanding into Europe and Asia. OnLive's technology is backed by hundreds of patents and patents pending. The company is headquartered in Palo Alto, California. OnLive investors include Warner Bros., Autodesk, Maverick Capital, AT&T, British Telecommunications (BT), The Belgacom Group, HTC and Juniper Networks. More information is available at www.onlive.com and www.onlive.co.uk.
OnLive is a trademark of OnLive, Inc. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=1904959
Copyright @ Marketwire
Related Keywords: cloud, enterprise, office, desktop, remote, on-demand;Android;Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Word, Gaming, Internet, Digital Media Software, Communications, Web, Animation, Smart Phone, Search, Applications, Security, Video, browser, EMail, Mac, OS9, OSX, USA, Marketwire, Inc., , Adobe Flash, Communications Technology, Internet Technology, Game Technology, Internet, Email, england, Other,