|Page (1) of 1 - 04/12/12||email article||print page|
Gehry Technologies Instrumental in Half of the Top Ten "World's Coolest New Buildings"Travel + Leisure Magazine's List Names Five GT Buildings to Its Reader-Ranked List (April 12, 2012)
LOS ANGELES, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 04/12/12 -- Gehry Technologies (GT), a global leader in applying technology to building industry challenges, had a prominent role in the design and collaboration processes required by international development teams for five of the top six buildings named "World's Coolest" by Travel + Leisure (T+L) Magazine.
For the March 2012 article, "World's Coolest New Buildings," T+L readers ranked 60 landmarks -- including skyscrapers, stadiums, museums, and opera houses -- which have opened within the last 15 years. GT had a role in five of the buildings that made the esteemed Top 10 list, including:
- Ranked No. 1 - New York by Gehry in New York City: Frank Gehry designed the Western world's tallest residential tower (it soars 870 feet) and gave it an undulating frame to catch and reflect the sun as it changes throughout the day. GT provided the technical infrastructure and supply chain management services, which included the development of a 3D data store housing critical construction information that ultimately enabled a faster and more automated design-to-fabrication process.
- Ranked No. 2 - National Stadium in Beijing: The world's largest steel structure -- designed by Swiss architects Herzog and de Meuron and known affectionately as the Bird's Nest -- premiered at the 2008 Beijing Olympics. GT worked with the project architect and engineer to generate a parametric model of the stadium that facilitated rapid design modifications and accelerated engineering change orders, saving costs and reducing steel weight by 30 percent.
- Ranked No. 3 - Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles
Home to the Los Angeles Philharmonic since 2003, Frank Gehry's impeccably executed performance space is said to have some of the world's best acoustics. The methods and processes of steel frame design, engineering and detailing developed on the Walt Disney Concert hall formed the basis of GT's technology and services approach.
- Ranked No. 4 - Burj Khalifa in Dubai: At 2,717 feet, the world's tallest building has commanded the Dubai skyline since January 2010. It contains residences, offices, and the Armani Hotel. GT led collaboration among an integrated team of architects, engineers and wood fabricators to ensure the Burj Khalifa atrium ceiling -- consisting of highly complex prefabrication pieces -- was realized on time, thereby saving millions.
- Ranked No. 6 Museo Soumaya in Mexico City: Fernando Romero's fluid, aluminum-clad modern art museum, opened in 2011, rises like a glistening 64,583-square-foot sculpture out of Mexico City's Polanco district. GT used its 3D BIM technologies to help with the design of the irregular hexagonal facade, which included a full construction analysis and delivery of 2D and 3D documentation for the fabrication and construction of 16,000 panels.
"We are incredibly proud to have had a prominent role in the creation of five of the buildings on T+L's list of coolest buildings," said Dayne Myers, CEO of GT. "The fact that this recognition comes from readers who are impressed and inspired by the structures is a tribute to all those involved in the design and construction of each building and we share the honor with our partners and customers."
With regard to the buildings featured, the article states, "Why are they important? Great buildings can help to revitalize a destination, put a neighborhood on the radar, or set the stage for major world events. And of course, new buildings can thrill us with their sheer scale -- in many cases, the kind that makes you crane your neck, drop your jaw, and perhaps, hold on for dear life."
For more information on GT, visit www.gehrytech.com.
About Gehry Technologies
Gehry Technologies (GT) provides design and project management technology and consulting services, including BIM implementation, to leading owners, developers, architects, engineers, general contractors, fabricators, and other building industry professionals worldwide. GT solutions increase creativity and control; reduce project risks, costs, and completion times; and improve processes and decisions through collaboration, project visibility, and information access. Gehry Technologies is privately held, with offices in Los Angeles, New York, Paris, Abu Dhabi, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Beijing, Seoul and Sydney. For more information about Gehry Technologies, visit www.gehrytech.com.
Gehry Technologies Media Contact:
Emerge Media Communications
Copyright @ Marketwire
Related Keywords: Gehry Technologies, Building information Management, Architecture, Engineering, and Construction , Hong Kong, Marketwire, , Sports, General Contractors, Management Services, Engineering, Olympics, mexico, Other,