|Page (1) of 1 - 06/23/04||email article||print page|
GameDAILY And E-Poll Release Video Gamers StudyPurchasing and lifestyle habits of mainstream, casual and hardcore gamers (June 23, 2004)
E-Poll and GameDAILY announced the release of their latest consumer study on the purchasing and lifestyle habits of casual and hardcore video gamers. The survey was conducted by E-Poll, a market research firm in Los Angeles. Gamers were identified through the GameDAILY's network of 130 affiliated sites and portals.
A sample of the report findings include:
* Time spent on video gaming - Almost one in every four of the respondents play multiplayer games online at least six hours or more per week; while one in every five play video games with friends. The majority (66%), however, download a demo or watch video game trailers on a gaming website one to five hours per week.
* Gamers get exercise - Currently, over half (57%) of all respondents participate in physical activity three or more hours per week and 30% participate six or more hours per week. Over the next six months, 46% claiming that they will increase a lot/somewhat on their physical activities.
* Holiday Outlook - Gamers not only increased their video game purchases in the past year, but more importantly, over half plan to increase software spending and over one third plan to increase hardware spending over the next six months, into the 2004 holidays season.
* The most/least awaited products - Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) is capturing considerable interest, with nearly two-thirds (64%) of respondents very/somewhat interested in purchasing when it becomes available. On the other hand, less than 1 in 4 are very/somewhat interested in the NGage QD and almost half (46%) said they are not interested at all.
* More bang for the buck - Just like any smart shopper, gamers spend their dollar wisely. With 76% stating that price is very/somewhat important in deciding what game to buy, vendors should be very careful with their pricing strategies.
* Gamers Read More - Kids who play video games read more books on their own time. 80.8% of all gamers (78% males) surveyed are at least somewhat interested in reading (books, comics, magazines, newspapers). 25% spend 6 or more hours per week reading. 30% expect their reading time to increase in the next 6 months.
"As more and more video games are played by mainstream and casual audiences, it will be imperative to collect additional consumer data for video game development and marketing," states Mark Friedler, CEO of GameDAILY. "No longer can we assume to know the identity of a video gamer. Our Family Guide, as an example, is being read by educators and parents looking for ways to direct children to age and content appropriate games. People who play video games are now "entertainment enthusiasts" facing a lot of competition from other entertainment options."
To purchase a copy of the report for $195, please visit http://www.epoll.com/reports/E-Poll-Gigex-Study.pdf.
GameDAILY is a leading video game media company that reaches over 23 million gamers each month through its destination site, http://www.gamedaily.com, and a network of over 130 affiliated sites and portals. Founded as Gigex, GameDAILY has unrivaled experience promoting hundreds of major game titles for leading publishers including Atari, Disney Interactive, Electronic Arts, Microsoft, TakeTwo, THQ, UbiSoft, Vivendi Universal and others. The GameDAILY newsletter is the leading video game trade publication and is available at http://biz.gamedaily.com. The website is owned and operated by Gigex, Inc which was founded in 1995 and is privately held with offices in San Francisco and New York City.
E-Poll provides innovative market research services from methodology and questionnaire design to data processing and analysis. E-Poll delivers custom and syndicated research including secure media testing, concept testing, omnibus studies, program evaluation, and tracking studies all suited to accommodate tight budgets and strict deadlines. Access our proprietary panel with deep member profiles for highly targeted research or let us help you build and manage your own panel. Home of E-ScoreT - the leading celebrity awareness score measuring appeal and personality attributes - E-Poll services are utilized by Fortune 200 companies and nine of the Top 10 global media companies.
Related Keywords:GameDAILY, E-Poll, Video Gamers, Mark Friedler,