|Page (1) of 1 - 04/01/10||email article||print page|
Fortinet FortiOS 4.0 MR2 Gives Customers More Security, Flexibility and PerformanceOperating System Upgrade Brings Numerous Enhancements, Including More Comprehensive Antivirus and End-Point Security, and Added Performance, Application Visibility and Control (April 01, 2010)
SUNNYVALE, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 04/01/10 -- Fortinet® (NASDAQ: FTNT) -- a leading network security provider and worldwide leader of unified threat management (UTM) solutions -- today announced its latest operating system software update -- FortiOS 4.0 maintenance release 2 -- which is designed to help customers achieve better security, flexibility and performance from their FortiGate® multi-threat security platforms. The net benefit to customers is a more robust set of tools that allows them to customize FortiGate platforms to better meet the security and performance needs of their organizations. FortiOS 4.0 MR2 adds the following new functionalities:
- More security through more comprehensive antivirus engines, expanded application control enforcement and improved integration with Fortinet's FortiClient endpoint security solution for better security controls;
- More flexibility with the ability to balance antivirus inspection levels to better suit customers' security/performance requirements;
- More visibility and control into network activity through the monitoring of application and bandwidth usage, user activity and associated threat trends to help create and enforce security policies customized for each customer's unique environment;
- More performance for a range of security technologies, including application control policy performance when using accessory modules and antivirus inspection when using the new flow-based antivirus engine.
FortiOS 4.0 MR2 Deep Dive
- Support for a new antivirus signature database, the "Extreme" database, which provides robust protection against an extensive array of possible threats
- Improved integration with FortiClient for better endpoint security controls -- including enforcement of required applications and assessment of host vulnerabilities;
- Integrated VoIP security features give end-users ability to better enforce VoIP security in the mid-enterprise and distributed enterprise/ROBO/SOHO segments; provide additional security for enterprises using an IP PBX, Unified Communication and SIP trunking to lower costs and consolidate network infrastructure;
- Support for the new FortiMobile SSL VPN client for the iPhone and iPod touch devices helps protect sensitive data stored on new mobile devices.
More Flexibility, Visibility and Control
- Improved flexibility -- customers can choose from four total options for malware protection to best suit their security and performance requirements: "Standard" -- wild list database, "Extended" -- Extended signature set, "Extreme" -- our broad database of threats, and a new flow-based virus scanning engine which offers significant performance improvement in real-time environments where performance is valued over security;
- Improved visibility of network activity -- new firewall policy enhancements enable organizations to create and define policies that monitor and measure application usage and user patterns with more than 100 pre-defined reports;
- Improved control of network activity -- traffic shaper enables monitoring and control of bandwidth consumption on a per-application basis; allowing the ability to prioritize bandwidth per user, application, or group of users or applications.
- New hardware-acceleration for application-based policies through the use of Fortinet AMC modules to deliver throughput increases for IPS, application policies and IP multicast applications when used with supporting FortiGate platforms;
- Allocates resources dynamically to enable more efficient use of memory, optimized to meet the security policy and traffic requirements, increasing security performance.
"With our roots in innovation and our security focus, Fortinet is continuing to expand and extend our FortiOS feature set to meet the evolving security and performance needs of our customers," said Michael Xie, CTO and founder, Fortinet. "The advancements in our FortiOS 4.0 MR2 release improve the security of a variety of applications, enable customers to better manage and control complex security with ease, and flexibly leverage our solution to best meet the security/performance needs of their organization. We believe this is a step forward in security innovation."
FortiOS 4.0 MR2 is now available for FortiGate appliances as a free upgrade to existing FortiGate customers with active maintenance contracts.
Fortinet's FortiGate systems are ASIC-accelerated security appliances that integrate core security and network functionalities including firewall, SSL and IPSec VPN, antivirus, intrusion prevention, Web filtering, antispam, application control, data loss prevention, SSL traffic inspection and WAN optimization. All FortiGate systems are kept up to date automatically by Fortinet's FortiGuard® Network, which helps protect against the most damaging, content-based threats from email and Web traffic such as viruses, worms, intrusions, other unwanted network traffic and more -- around the clock and around the world. Fortinet solutions have won multiple awards and are the only security products that are certified in five programs by ICSA Labs for firewall, antivirus, IPSec VPN, network IPS and antispam.
About Fortinet (www.fortinet.com)
Fortinet (NASDAQ: FTNT) is a worldwide provider of network security appliances and the market leader in unified threat management (UTM). Our products and subscription services provide broad, integrated and high-performance protection against dynamic security threats while simplifying the IT security infrastructure. Our customers include enterprises, service providers and government entities worldwide, including the majority of the 2009 Fortune Global 100. Fortinet's flagship FortiGate product delivers ASIC-accelerated performance and integrates multiple layers of security designed to help protect against application and network threats. Fortinet's broad product line goes beyond UTM to help secure the extended enterprise -- from endpoints, to the perimeter and the core, including databases and applications. Fortinet is headquartered in Sunnyvale, Calif., with offices around the world.
Copyright © 2010 Fortinet, Inc. All rights reserved. The symbols ® and denote respectively federally registered trademarks and unregistered trademarks of Fortinet, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates. Fortinet's trademarks include, but are not limited to, the following: Fortinet, FortiGate, FortiGuard, FortiManager, FortiMail, FortiClient, FortiCare, FortiAnalyzer, FortiReporter, FortiOS, FortiASIC, FortiWiFi, FortiSwitch, FortiVoIP, FortiBIOS, FortiLog, FortiResponse, FortiCarrier, FortiScan, FortiDB, FortiWeb and FortiAP. Other trademarks belong to their respective owners. Fortinet has not independently verified statements or certifications herein attributed to third parties and Fortinet does not independently endorse such statements. This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. These statements include statements regarding the functionality and benefits of our FortiOS maintenance release 2. Future circumstances might differ from the assumptions on which such statements are based and results may differ from such forward-looking statements. All forward-looking statements reflect our opinions only as of the date of this release, and we undertake no obligation to revise or publicly release the results of any revision of these forward-looking statements in light of new information or future events.
Copyright @ Marketwire
Related Keywords:Fortinet, Applications, Security, Database, Internet, Business Issues, Threats, Security Technologies, Virus, Worms, VPN, Other, Security, Internet Server Applications, Antivirus, E-mail, Management, CTO/CIO, Marketwire, Inc., IT (Information Technology), Security, Apple Computer, Appliances, Internet Technology, Email, Other,